Starting over. Logic 9 And Key commands and Other stuff.

17 Replies, 5490 Views

I know i had figured out Logic 7 but I feel so lost when I open up logic 9. I might be sounding a bit silly or somthing when i ask questions on here but please bear with me, I had alot of brain difficulties with the illness Im recovering from and I need to relearn everything it seems. I also am not that great with computers besides using the internet and somehow i navigated logic 7 years ago..Lol Im finally facing my fear of attempting this so its a good thing, just need some help.

Such as these simple things like key commands ( I have to start somewhere I suppose)

I checked out a tuturiol but really didnt help.
A few examples of key commands i was givin in a few have proved to not work.
I initialized them and put to us so I dont know what the problem is.

Heres what i want to know. When you see the list of key commands do you press all the keys at the same time or one after the other? I cant seem to get it to work either way. Next they keep using this symbol which I have NO idea what it is and can find it on my keyboard. (Oops)

For example In the tutorial they say z zooms in and press z again and it zooms out but it only zooms in...So leads me to trying to sort these key commands myself.

Im gonna post the screen grab and youll see what I mean, for example look at all the zoom functions in the arrange commands. What is that second key symbol??? Baffled

[Image: picture3ft.png]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Apologies again in advance if this is something really obvious.

Im just so antsy to sort this necessary stuff out so i can actually be creative.
someone here must use logic Bigstick

a sequence of keys in pc programs usually means press the first key and hold it and keeping it pressed while pressing and holding the second, and keeping both pressed when pressing the third. so pressed in sequence but keeping all previous keys held down.
Ok. Well I still cant find that middle symbol on my keyboard. Baffled
Also in middi preference I cant find how to set up my edirol to use as a midi keyboard. :/ ? anyone....???Grin

Yeah there are a bunch of logic users they prob havent seen this yet. Smile
I think maff uses logic and maybe wilshy?
Annastay: I think the "option" key is "alt".
Also, if you set up your keyboard in the Audio Midi setup thingy (under applications utilities I think) it should be available in Logic.

Hello everyone. This is my first post here - thought it might be fun to sign up as the other production forum is pretty tedious.

I'm sure a few of you know me by nickname from a couple of internet radio station chatrooms...
HRH_H_Crab Wrote:Hello everyone.

hello there Wave
HRH_H_Crab Wrote:Annastay: I think the "option" key is "alt".

Ok i know that one. Im asking about those key commands up there. Oh wait is that what symbol is. Fore example it is like up, symbol in question, command, z?
Also is that up a 6 or just the up, IM assuming just the up button. hehe. oh maybe ill call apple and mess with them today! Grin

Either way ill try the midi thing now. cheers. Smile
markgabba Wrote:I think maff uses logic and maybe wilshy?

Yeah thats what i was thinking! Grin
hey mate Wave

the mysterious key is..... CTRL!

so for the zoom commands, CTRL+ALT+ARROW KEYS all at once
Hiya longtime no speak!!! Grin

Oh ok so thats what HRH was saying about the control alt thing, Oops misread that.

cool ill try next time I open logic.
Just for the sake of being thorough: "^" which is the symbol often used for "ctrl", is commonly known as a "caret".
markgabba Wrote:I think maff uses logic and maybe wilshy?

I think "uses" is probably a bit of a generous word for me, and well Maff is Maff!

Sorry I can't help, not used it for a while and my Mac is pretty much packed away at the moment. I customised a lot of mine to suit me better, with thanks to the boy distantminds Xyxthumbs

Anna - if you look on your screenshot you'll see it mentions modifier keys and has their little symbols next to them. May help with others as well.
HRH_H_Crab Wrote:Annastay: I think the "option" key is "alt".
Also, if you set up your keyboard in the Audio Midi setup thingy (under applications utilities I think) it should be available in Logic.

Yeah tried this, I actually am not using a keyboard for midi instrument im using as controller (just in case that makes a difference), Im in midi set up and tryed to scan devices and not showing up. Plus I made a new one but still no luck. I know i went nuts figuring this out before and its something simple... arghh....
I downloaded driver and got the keyboard to show up. Thing is now some of the notes on it arent triggering the sound from the instrument, Like only some keys are working. I dont know if I set up wrong in Midi preferences or if my keyboard is broken! Icon_sad
Hmm. If some keys are working and some aren't it might be broken.
Having said that, some complex controllers may not be mapped in Logic by default and may require you to mess around in the environment (pretty advanced stuff - not something I'm too comfortable with anyway).

I'm out of ideas I'm afraid. I think your best bet is to make some strong coffee and embark on a furious session of Googling. Hopefully there are some other people using Logic who use that controller.
HRH_H_Crab Wrote:Hmm. If some keys are working and some aren't it might be broken.
Having said that, some complex controllers may not be mapped in Logic by default and may require you to mess around in the environment (pretty advanced stuff - not something I'm too comfortable with anyway).

I'm out of ideas I'm afraid. I think your best bet is to make some strong coffee and embark on a furious session of Googling. Hopefully there are some other people using Logic who use that controller.

Yeah Ive used it before with logic 7 without this issue. I am gonna wait tell my friend comes by to check out. I dont have that much focus to read stuff online well. Really without a keyboard i have no inspiration to be on logic atm. Even though it is only 10 percent of the work its where the ideas form for me.

I should get on there tonight to see if i can get the key commands working though....
It appears you are right. My keyboard is dead keys. I have to get my hands on a hair dryer and see if that works. lol. I read it in a 6 page thread about how the edirol pcr does this all the time. I dunno really if i get a new keyboard controller what to get or when I can really afford one but I really love using something that feels like somewhere closer to real keys vs the computer keys.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starting your own label... snaper 4 4,080 5th September 2013, 06:09
Last Post: snaper
  Starting recording Ashtonron 17 3,692 3rd April 2009, 08:57
Last Post: Ashtonron