Renoise 2.8

17 Replies, 8123 Views

http://www.renoise.com/release-notes/280
Got a new laptop on order with windows x64... anyone have experience with renoise vs buzz? I'm searching but just find outdated info or flame wars... would like a cpu effective tracker to make tunes with while away from my hardware.

-Sack

Edit: Just wanted to add I'm going to try out renoise some more, just wanted some perspective on differing workflows, stability and what to expect from switching/relearning/etc, not "Which is better? HURRRRR"

That update and the nice sample editor looks enticing!
renoise would probably be a bit more stable then buzz. great program. i miss using it cause its so fun, would love to go back but ive invested too much in hardware and logic to buy, although hopefully the demo is still the full version minus exporting.
nothing like chopping breaks with the triggers
It's awesome and well worth the money
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
Renoise's sample editor is second to none. Working in the sample editor is a bliss, it's so smooth and intuitive, and with the new features in 2.8 it even fully replaces Audacity for me.

I also appreciate the idea of Renoise combining all necessary features to create music without any external hardware and software. It's a sequencer, sampler and audio editor at once, plus it comes with a variety of native effect DSPs, so you're not obliged to use VSTs. Xyxthumbs

Great great program, I can just recommend to try it out, it's worth it!
Nice, am going to read the intro info now and see if I can get something rolling. I like the idea of it being self contained, but I could also see it working well rewired with Reaper for my workflow.... was something I considered a while back before committing some time to Buzz.

-Sack
The only negative (for me) about it, that they stopped the support of PPC. I know that Apple switched to Intel 6 years ago, but my G5 (with 2 UADs and a PowerCore) is still enough powerful for me Icon_sad
I have to move back to the PC platform, I can't upgrade my mac and my DSP cards too, building a PC with PCI slots is more affordable for me Grin
After a quick swing at it I have one big question so far.

Does anyone know if there's a way to trigger an effect command (sample offset 09xx specifically) without having input a note every time? I love this in Fuzzpilz Unwieldy Tracker for Buzz (although that has a whole column dedicated to sample offset). It's just an inconvenience to have to put the note in the first column every time, and doesn't allow for quick mashing/jamming...

-Sack
nope, for the sample offset thing you need to do this unfortunately, maybe you can request it on the forum (and a scripter can create a tool for it)?

You could slice a break using the slicer in the sample editor and simply program the hits using the keyboard, which is kind of what you want (if you're to lazy to cut up a break manually Smile ).
I'll give that a shot. I like the flexibility of the sample offset method though, so I'll try to find a workflow work-around. Thanks for the info.

I find it really odd that they wouldn't program that in, it's so intuitive to just throw the offset in and go.

-Sack

PS: your avatar and caption combo is amazing
sackley Wrote:I'll give that a shot. I like the flexibility of the sample offset method though, so I'll try to find a workflow work-around. Thanks for the info.
PS: your avatar and caption combo is amazing

lol hadn't noticed the caption haha.

Personally I've never been a big fan of using the offset on breaks, because of the thing you're talking about, having to input a note event as well + with un-tight breaks the results can sound glitchy. So much quicker to just have a drum-hit(section) in the instrument list and inputting it using the keyboard right away. The new slicer option auto inserts slice markers at transients and divides these triggers across the keyboard, but the transient detection can need fine-tuning, so it also isn't a one stop solution.
I always assume if I'm auto slicing (which is pretty much never) that I'll have to clean up some of the transient detection. I'll give that method a go though. This is one thing that buzz (specifically unwieldy tracker) is fantastic with.... so much so that I don't see a reason to switch unless Renoise is that much more stable than Buzz on a x64 basis.

Thanks for the reply, sorry to hijack the thread Snaper!

-Sack
sackley Wrote:unless Renoise is that much more stable than Buzz on a x64 basis.

I've tried buzz multiple times in the past in different incarnations (also the latest version since it was picked up again by the developer), but just can't deal with the crashes and instability which are very off-putting. Will try again in the future as it asks for a different workflow which can be nice to keep things fresh.
I actually got along with slicing the sample as you suggested Jonas. And after spending more time with the "Getting Started" intro and chipping into the user manual I'm getting closer to taking out that little flat plastic card, haha. Going to hold off until 2.8 final is released and hope for a temporary drop in price. Until then, I'll keep studying.

Also, seems like Reaper + Renoise Rewired would be savage!
Thanks to this new update i've been adding repeaters to pretty much everything. Grin
I absolutely love Renoise. I use it for studio production and live performance and it's the most stable, least bloated, and most fun program I know. The devs continually shock me with the amazing features they keep adding --- and for my low low initial investment I've enjoyed several major upgrades! TOTALLY WORTH IT!
Loving it so far. Will definitely be purchasing once 2.8 is released. One hiccup so far though...

Does anyone know if you can sync a break (with the checkbox) and then slice it and have the slices still synced, but with the sync value adjusted to their length. (That isn't the right way to describe it, but it's late....hah). If I sync a break to the project tempo, and then slice it, the slices aren't synced, and I have to manually sync them (which does my head in, as they're all different lengths and it's just a bunch of trial and error). Otherwise it's oldschool with transposing and fine tune...

Any help is appreciated! Other than this I'm falling for renoise, hah.

-Sack
Found one solution here....

http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?/..._p__232557

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Renoise 2.7.0 - INTEGRATED "RECYCLE" !!! snaper 6 3,745 17th May 2011, 09:24
Last Post: infest
  Renoise? snaper 7 2,927 30th September 2010, 19:38
Last Post: snaper
  Renoise (or Trackers in general) skygene 7 4,055 27th April 2010, 13:28
Last Post: littleNemo
  Any Renoise users here? denaris 15 5,545 26th May 2009, 22:38
Last Post: denaris
  Programming drums into renoise!!!!111!! safetyboy 2 2,301 7th March 2007, 15:59
Last Post: cube