In need of good sleep.

7 Replies, 3018 Views

Need some help here.
I've been sleeping ample hours (5 - 8hrs) and still wake up tired. I fall asleep quite easily and sleep pretty soundly and still. Also, I sleep when im tired; that does mean I get to bed late sometimes. But I wake up at the same time mostly. Tracked my sleep patterns with one of those phone apps; conclusion, not much deep sleep, indicated by periods non movement, which means im tossing n turning. I does'nt feel that way though.
I'm not very active atm, I must admit. Wake up, breakfast, work on thesis, maybe go to campus library, cook, music, sleep. Also, yoga twice a week and a bit of walking (not nearly enough).
Perhaps a proper sleep schedule would help.
Good night :zzz:
Sleep Apnea is possibly as common as 1 in 4 people. Also there are several vitamins important to thyroid function and thus effect sleep/wakefulness, so could be diet? 5-HTP is common supplement used for insomnia as well. And as suggested could just be sleep pattern related. Certain people react more strongly to not sleeping with the day/night cycle.

One more thing is caffeine stays in the system somewhere between 6 to 8 hours. If you're sensitive to it, you might not feel the affects but could still effect sleep.
Apnea could very well be the cause. In mild cases you only need to try those nasal strips, trust me they do wonders. I actually went and did a sleep study test and they found that I only sleep about 3 hours a night, major lack of rem sleep for me.

Another contributing cause to bad sleep are pillows. Try washing your pillows more often and if you have a dryer, just chuck your pillows (minus the cases) in the dryer for like 15 minutes - do this every week. That will reduce the amount of dust and other airborne allergens that might plug you up at night and interrupt your breathing patterns - your rem sleep patterns.

Things to reduce: alcohol, caffeine, stress, sugary foods

Things to increase: exercise, vitamin D, Zinc (not the dj), water

A cuppa tea a few hours before bed is nice too!
Welcome to my life... Just be glad you dont have neurolgoical lyme disease. The second anything comes into my life that my body equates stress full I stop sleeping. And when thats not happening I still wake up tired and stay tired all day.
yeah I went thru all those above things mentioned and well I guess 5 htp is helpful also melatonin but there could be many reasons why you wake up tired.

My suggestion to you would be to start practicing qi gong or some sort of tai chi.

Do I practice what I preach? Well no cause my life seems to be in such shambles lately I cant even get to a class or get myself to do on my own...but still just saying cut the bull shit and crap shooting and go to the energetic root and heal it.. These practices can when you have the means and the energy to pick up the practice.

Ill be sending you positive sleep energies though. Much love. x

Ill be taking a pill tonight myself to knock out. Icon_sad Havent had to take these things in months and gutted I have to be a zombie tommorow but hey gotta do what you gotta do and everything is just temporary.
Do some physical exercise until you are out of breath at least once every day. You'll sleep way better I find
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
Woo! Plenty of good advice here Xyxthumbs
I think im quite dehydrated too, which could contribute.
Thanks all
Long time sufferer here of occasional severe insomnia. Had my record of just an hours sleep when away with work a few weeks back. Its amazing how well ones body and mind can cope with that. I managed a days work which consisted of interviewing for a new team member, 3 interviews, same questions over and over. Couple hours work then a 4 1/2 hour drive back home. Went to bed normal one, slept okish and felt fine the next day.

I believe through lack of sleep my body is now used to 5-6 hours most nights, however that comes and I function ok most days on that.

Im hoping physical exercise brings some benefits, as i need to get moving to sort out my chronic back issues. If it doesn't then that's yet another tried and tested insomnia cure that doesn't work for me to add to the list!

Definitely cut the caffeine. I find if I have caffeine after about 3pm it will affect my sleep, while at the same time not stimulating me when drinking it. But it sits in your system for a long long time. A go to bed routine is important. Same time every night where possible with the same wake up time regardless of when you go to bed. That does help me in the main.

Good luck and be thankful for the sleep you do get. Insomnia is a horrible condition.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  can't sleep crew Statto 3 2,545 7th August 2017, 17:27
Last Post: noisemonkey
  can't sleep Statto 25 5,157 16th November 2012, 09:49
Last Post: MetaLX
  No sleep crew Annastay 12 2,825 16th February 2010, 12:21
Last Post: Metal Malcolm
  Can't be arsed to go to sleep Utopian 24 8,947 23rd July 2009, 14:29
Last Post: Cassini
  Repetition/Distract - Not Even in Sleep littleNemo 10 1,302 21st December 2008, 23:36
Last Post: littleNemo