The Japanese still buy their music on CDs

4 Replies, 2168 Views

http://qz.com/711490/why-japan-has-more-...the-world/

Interesting article from another forum ... 

For many people, the days of wandering into a store, browsing the shelves, and walking out with music stored on plastic are a distant memory. In Japan, however, the CD is still king.

Globally, 39% of all music sales are physical CDs and vinyl, but in Japan, the figure is double that. It helps make Japan the world’s second biggest music market, selling more than ¥254 billion ($2.44 billion) worth of music a year—most of it in the form of CDs.

Feeding that demand are 6,000 music stores, according to an estimate from the Recording Industry Association of Japan (RIAJ). To put that in context, the US is the world’s largest music market in terms of revenue, but has about 1,900 old-fashioned music stores, according to Almighty Music Marketing. Germany, the third biggest market, has only around 700 stores.

Japan’s odd consumer behavior is a prime example of the Galapagos syndrome, a business term that takes its name from Darwinian evolutionary theory. It explains how the country’s geography, history, and culture have come together to create a love for a technology that the rest of the world has all but forgotten.  - rest of the article see link above
Music critic for the Tally Ho
I still buy music on CDs Smile
so do I. Not that long ago when I was in Japan I found a music shop which mainly sold jazz on tape.
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
Funny thing is, in my early teens, which was in the early to mid1990s, there were a few classmates and friends who were totally militants regarding the avoidance of CDs. I bought lots of 12 Inch Rettles contianing electronic music, but with albums I always went with the CD. With dance/DnB stuff, I only went for the vinyl edition if it was suitable for spinning.
Music critic for the Tally Ho
I still prefer a physical product; vinyl or cd, I also burn to cd every track I d/l and listen to it that way, I also print out the artwork/cover too for a d/l album.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how do you buy new music? bobule 31 5,837 9th January 2016, 21:42
Last Post: Muttley
  japanese soundcloud digging cube 0 1,229 6th April 2011, 00:18
Last Post: cube
  Japanese Scientists Create Touchable Holograms lament 8 3,602 20th February 2011, 19:58
Last Post: dak
  I RAVE YOU (japanese music video) devnull 11 2,879 18th February 2010, 10:02
Last Post: haxhi
  No words can describe the oddness of this japanese game socialengineer 11 2,247 7th September 2009, 11:13
Last Post: cube