The Series Thread

49 Replies, 19098 Views

Seems these days there are so many good series out there, that I can't keep up anymore.

Here's a list of my favourites, please add yours.

The obvious classics

The Wire
Sopranos
Arrested Development
Fargo (first season only, though)

What I enjoyed lately in no particular order:

The Crown
Archer
Master of None
Chewing Gum
Braunschlag
Rick and Morty
Narcos
Life's too short
Flaked
Bloodline
Stranger Things
The Expanse
Goliath (except for the last episode which is really a joke)
Forgot:

Peaky Blinders
Better call Saul
The Americans
We watched all of The Crown in about three days after I dragged my feet about starting it. Hahaha

On Amazon Prime:
Mozart in the Jungle (at least Season 1)
Catastrophe
Ajin
Drifters
Ushio and Tora
One Piece
Gintama
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
Porridge
Game of Thrones
The Bridge (Danish/Swedish version)
The OA
Westworld
Borgen
Vikings
The Killing (Danish version)
Battlestar Galactica reboot
The Fall
Babylon
Marcella
Luther
The Code
Occupied
Halt & Catch Fire
(20th December 2016, 22:15)TVG Wrote: We watched all of The Crown in about three days after I dragged my feet about starting it. Hahaha

same here, I was *really* reluctant to it, but it's a good watch! Lol
(21st December 2016, 00:32)Statto Wrote: Game of Thrones

Tried 3 times, but did not get past the first episode. I just hated it, not exactly sure why Neutral
(21st December 2016, 00:34)esb Wrote: Westworld

Saw the first episode, kinda liked it, but wasn't keen on watching it illegally, so I postponed that Wink

esb Wrote:Luther

Did not like it, although I do like "Stringer Bell" - watched 3 episodes, then stopped.

Thanks for the other suggestions, will check all of these. Any "highlights"? Grin
I am highly suggesting 'Gomorra' to you. I am on the second season now, and it's brilliant.
Rick and Morty (sooooooo good)
Archer
Daredevil
Luke Cage
Westworld
Jessica Jones

Xyxthumbs
Quote:Luke Cage

Chin started off way boring, should give it another try, stopped after 10 minutes or so ... but generally not a big fan of comic adaptations tbh, so it might just not be for me ...

(21st December 2016, 12:12)bobule Wrote: Rick and Morty (sooooooo good)

innit Yes Slayer

Also a good watch:

Bob's Burgers
(21st December 2016, 11:16)cycom Wrote:

Tried 3 times, but did not get past the first episode. I just hated it, not exactly sure why Neutral

Try again. Certainly I wasn't sure about it after the first episode, as in: what is this appalling misogynistic crap? But there are soon a lot of strong female characters. And after a while it becomes utterly compelling.
(21st December 2016, 13:23)Statto Wrote:
(21st December 2016, 11:16)cycom Wrote:

Try again. Certainly I wasn't sure about it after the first episode, as in: what is this appalling misogynistic crap?

Exactly, additionally I've never been a big fan of films about "former times", like the middle ages or for that matter fantasy settings in general.

Statto Wrote:But there are soon a lot of strong female characters. And after a while it becomes utterly compelling.

Alright, another go I shall give it then!
I REALLY like GOT also.

Mr Robot is interesting though I have not seen the second series yet.
The Expanse is promising (and ties in nicely with my Elite : Dangerous addiction (don't ask))
(21st December 2016, 11:19)cycom Wrote:
(21st December 2016, 00:34)esb Wrote: Westworld

Saw the first episode, kinda liked it, but wasn't keen on watching it illegally, so I postponed that Wink

esb Wrote:Luther

Did not like it, although I do like "Stringer Bell" - watched 3 episodes, then stopped.

Thanks for the other suggestions, will check all of these. Any "highlights"? Grin

What genre do you like best?  Off that I can give you some recommended starting points.
(21st December 2016, 14:57)esb Wrote: What genre do you like best?  Off that I can give you some recommended starting points.

None in particular. Just needs to be good Teef

I do like sci-fi sometimes (although there's often a lot of silly/stupid characters involved and a lot of stereotypes, bad lighting, etc.), but the missus is not keen on watching it anyway Wink

Sooo ... funny, yet a little offbeat comedies? Not seen much of those since "Flight of the Conchords".

Also suspense stuff, but has to have strong acting. Like Fargo season 1 or maybe even Stranger Things (which turned out a bit weak after the first couple of episodes, but still had good acting and didn't totally bail)

I guess I mainly dislike the obvious catchy "sensational" stuff. Probably why I didn't like Black Mirror and the like. Did enjoy House of Cards, though - but not *that* much.
Reading this again, I probably didn't make much sense here Lol

Basically I like it like my drum and bass - either funky, tricky and full of surprises (dgoHn, Paradox, Macc, Sileni, Source Direct) - or dark and hard-hitting (No U Turn, Metalheadz) Xyxthumbs
(21st December 2016, 15:28)cycom Wrote:
(21st December 2016, 14:57)esb Wrote: What genre do you like best?  Off that I can give you some recommended starting points.

None in particular. Just needs to be good Teef

I do like sci-fi sometimes (although there's often a lot of silly/stupid characters involved and a lot of stereotypes, bad lighting, etc.), but the missus is not keen on watching it anyway Wink

Sooo ... funny, yet a little offbeat comedies? Not seen much of those since "Flight of the Conchords".

Also suspense stuff, but has to have strong acting. Like Fargo season 1 or maybe even Stranger Things (which turned out a bit weak after the first couple of episodes, but still had good acting and didn't totally bail)

I guess I mainly dislike the obvious catchy "sensational" stuff. Probably why I didn't like Black Mirror and the like. Did enjoy House of Cards, though - but not *that* much.
Reading this again, I probably didn't make much sense here Lol

Basically I like it like my drum and bass - either funky, tricky and full of surprises (dgoHn, Paradox, Macc, Sileni, Source Direct) - or dark and hard-hitting (No U Turn, Metalheadz) Xyxthumbs

I'd start with Bron/Broen (The Bridge) as the character development and plot lines are great.  3 seasons deep with the 4th currently being filmed so you have more than a few hours to kill.  It's gritty and raw!

The Fall is another one I'd recommend as it goes deep into the mind of a twisted character and has Dana Scully in it too boot!
Thanks! Now both on my list of things to watch

Skull
(21st December 2016, 12:10)jonesy Wrote: I am highly suggesting 'Gomorra' to you. I am on the second season now, and it's brilliant.

Looks great Grin Thanks! Xyxthumbs
(20th December 2016, 23:53)Don Rosco Wrote: Porridge

Alright, british vintage comedy Lol I really liked 'Allo 'Allo and had a good laugh watching The Young Ones, but I'm not entirely sure if I can get the missus interested Roll

Btw, speaking of british comedy (of late). What does David Mitchell do these days? Peepshow was good and The Mitchell and Webb Look even better, imo.
(20th December 2016, 22:56)noisemonkey Wrote: Ajin
Drifters
Ushio and Tora
One Piece
Gintama

Never been a big manga fan, tbh. Last I watched and liked was FLCL (which was very long ago). Haven't tried much since. Any suggestions on which to give a shot first? Ajin looked good.
(21st December 2016, 16:03)cycom Wrote:
(21st December 2016, 12:10)jonesy Wrote: I am highly suggesting 'Gomorra' to you. I am on the second season now, and it's brilliant.

Looks great Grin Thanks! Xyxthumbs

And if we are talking about drum and bass subgenres here then the series is a real No U Turn business  Xyxthumbs
Some of my favourites have already been mentioned, and I also enjoyed these:

Dexter (I was a bit late getting round to this)
True Detective Season 1 (Season 2 was ridiculous)
Hannibal (Seasons 1 & 2)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  boosh fans: radio series vs. tv series colm 14 7,025 25th July 2005, 16:31
Last Post: colm