A History of Heavy Metal

144 Replies, 127648 Views

Currently reading stand-up comedian Andrew O'Neill's personal A History of Heavy Metal.

At the same time I'm listening to metal – and pre-metal hard rock – full albums on youtube. So far that's been:

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (1970)
Slayer - Reign in Blood (1986)
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (1970)
Voïvod - Rrröööaaarrr (1986)
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality (1971)
Deep Purple - Deep Purple in Rock (1970)
Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny (1976)
Rainbow - Rainbow Rising (1976)
Bathory - Bathory (1984)
Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark (1987)
Black Sabbath - Vol.4 (1972)
Led Zeppelin - IV (1971)
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak (1976)

[Image: icon256.gif]
Quality list. I have no recollection of those Lps. 
Try Celeste - infidels...their new l.p. on denovali. 
I listened to that further 2 minutes ago.
Great list!
Also - do want to read that book now.
(7th August 2017, 11:39)widzhit Wrote: Great list!

since then:

Metallica - Kill 'em All (1983)
Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood (1996)
Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium (1991)
Burzum - Burzum (1992)
Motörhead - Overkill (1979)
Saxon - Strong Arm of the Law (1980)
Saxon - Wheels of Steel (1980)
Sepultura - Chaos AD (1993)

[Image: icon256.gif]

The last of those is the best thing I've listened to so far.
^^ Neurosis have been a really interesting development, from their earliest hc punk stuff (GOOD!) on wards. An influence in their own right for sure.

I never really got into Voivod as a kid, even tho they're basically acknowledged in the same vein as Rush for influential Canadian prog chunes and such. I do recall seeing Voivod mentioned in skateboard zines like Thrasher Magazine as a kid, and being known for their 80's hardcore punk angle as well. Quebec has a huge local metal lineage, from known greats as Voivod to Cryptopsy, Gorguts, Banzai Records and the myriad of bands that would have evolved based upon those decades of influence. The same goes for Quebec's hardcore punk lineage which has always been hand in hand with metal , including local crust metal bands of all stripes. Definitely a local aggressive music community recognized for good measure no doubt.
(7th August 2017, 14:22)+ToRMeNT+ Wrote: I never really got into Voivod as a kid, even tho they're basically acknowledged in the same vein as Rush for influential Canadian prog chunes and such.

I didn't much rate the Voivod. And I think Rush are pants Icon_razz
I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I have 6 uncles from my mom's side of the family, the oldest was playing in bands back in the 60's, most of them smoked tons of pot in the 70's (like everybody else apparently), I used to see psychedelic artwork they'd do when I went to my grandmother's house lol. My younger uncles were teenagers through much of the 80's, so I grew up with the imagery of metal first from whatever they were listening to (largely metal & 80's 2tone ska & reggae), literally mesmerized by the album art, or fold out cassette insert covers (remember that? lol). Judas Priest was originally a graphic I would marvel at via their album art, before I connected the band with the music. Likewise, Iron Maiden art is comic book art when you are that young, and yes grew up amazed by Maiden artwork as well, followed by the tunes later on. My uncles worshiped Kiss, Ozzy, Deep Purple.. you name it.

I recall Motorhead in their collections, and the first time i heard Kreator was via their cassette collection. One of my uncles is in his late 50's now, and still rocks Rush t-shirts ha. I recall Zeppelin, Sabbath, Dio cassettes & vinyl in their collections, tons more of course. They always read 80's metal zines like Circus Magazine, Hit Parader, Metal Edge, so.. once again, the visual impact of metal is what largely occupied some of my earliest music awakenings. My uncles took me to some of my earliest childhood concerts as well - Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, seeing Guns & Roses as an opening band, KISS, Motley Crue (great show I must say), I saw Anthrax opening on some tour.. crazy, its hard to remember some of the concerts now. First places i smelled weed was at those shows, ha. I saw Metallica on the "..And Justice for All" tour, etc. etc. I've even seen Poison live as a kid. lol.

And YES.. most live metal stadium shows back then included pyrotechnics & HUGE explosions. OF COURSE I was in awe! ha. Iron Maiden live, full stage show, Eddie... good times. Smile My early musical awareness heavily shaped by metal imagery.
I recall seeing this 1984 Celtic Frost lp in my uncle's collection as well. Such stark, minimal graphics.  We didn't listen to it at the time, we were prolly busy watching cartoons & Bruce Lee movies lol, but my brother, younger cousins and I used to just geek out on the cover art, etc.  Yes, also discovering Mercyful Fate & King Diamond in my uncle's collections as well, images imprinted on my young brain then, how could it not??

[Image: 650396.jpg]
I have "Turbo Lover" in my head now just posting in this thread. ha. Little did we know what elsewhere what much of Halford's lyrics were alluding to.  I thought he was just some dude into innocent motorbikes, studs, and leather. Chin  lol

My older sister was big Judas Priest fan. She was also really into the Go-Go's. My sister got me into the Go-Go's and I later witnessed her transformation into an adolescent 80's hair metal goddess. heh. Judas Priest, one of her faves.  That falsetto.
I have a riff going round in my head at the moment. It might be Judas Priest, but there isn't any tiresome shrieking from Rob Halford, so I can't really tell Wink
still going strong:

Judas Priest - Painkiller (1990)
Iron Maiden - The Soundhouse Tapes (1979)
Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky (1992)
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden (1980)
Hellhammer - Triumph of Death (1983)
Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids (1984)
Venom - Welcome to Hell (1981)
Carcass - Reek of Putrefaction (1988)
Celtic Frost - Into the Pandemonium (1987)
Sepultura - Roots (1996)

Icon265

again the Sepultura is the best of those
Try: Machine Head - Burn my Eyes (1994)

Sepultura = excellent!
the Machine Head LP is already on my list Xyxthumbs
Will grab the book to read, looks excellent Smile
This series, whilst flawed, was very entertaining - Metal Evolution:
more...

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast (1982)
Venom - Black Metal (1982)
Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing (1982)
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes (1994)
Metallica - Ride The Lightning (1984)
Anthrax - Fistful of Metal (1984)
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell (1990)
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power (1992)
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven (1994)
Fear Factory - Demanufacture (1995)
Sepultura - Arise (1991)
Dismember - Indecent & Obscene (1993)

yes, that Machine Head LP is pretty good Xyxthumbs

on the other hand, I've concluded that Iron Maiden are just dreadful Thumbd
I don't think Maiden are dreadful, they're good. Of their time kind of band. Haven't aged as well though. "Number Of The Beast" is great. It's a bit like comparing Hawkwind to Weezer.

I think the thing that identified iron maiden as separate from just another hard rock or heavy metal band is their thematic iconography towards stories in their tracks. they were one of the precursors to faith no more 90s pantomime heavy metal, with mike patton taking over duties.
listening to machine head now...mmm, this has started well.
edit: machinehead lp is the jam, first one I checked out of statto's extensive effort...Czech zee youtube linkee

seminal death metal
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
and...

Watain - Rabid Death's Curse (2000)
Deep Purple - Machine Head (1972)
Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon (1993)
Culture - Heteronome (1997)
Tool - 10,000 Days (2006)
Tool - Ænima (1996)
Machine Head - The More Things Change... (1997)
Soulfly - Soulfly (1998)
Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill (1996)
Lamb of God - As the Palaces Burn (2003)
Exhorder - Slaughter in the Vatican (1990)
Burzum - Aske (1993)

I'm listening to these albums all the way through whether I really like them or not.

Fauxpas

The only one I've failed with so far is King's X - Out of the Silent Planet (1988) which is just dreadful. Thumbd
Does your list have Fear Factory - Demanufacture:

Soulfly..

wow.
(14th August 2017, 12:52)girth_maul Wrote: Does your list have Fear Factory - Demanufacture:  

yes, I listened to that one
see 11th August

Xyxthumbs
(14th August 2017, 14:01)+ToRMeNT+ Wrote: Soulfly..

wow.

Agreed, very nice.

(14th August 2017, 15:10)Statto Wrote:
(14th August 2017, 12:52)girth_maul Wrote: Does your list have Fear Factory - Demanufacture:  

yes, I listened to that one
see 11th August

Xyxthumbs

Oops
another batch...

Gojira - From Mars to Sirius (2005)
Mayhem - Deathcrush (1987)
Exhorder - The Law (1992)
Tool - Undertow (1993)
Death - Scream Bloody Gore (1987)
Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime (1988)
Dream Theater - Awake (1994)
Dio - Strange Highways (1993)
Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists (2005)
Rings of Saturn - Lugal Ki En (2014)
Witchfinder General - Death Penalty (1982)

some of those aren't very good Neutral

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Heavy metal appreciation thread nerve 64 32,371 10th August 2017, 16:28
Last Post: Muttley
  He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother Sir Loris of Crowthorne 1 3,773 18th December 2012, 00:20
Last Post: greenleaf504
  Heavy Metal Britannia Statto 2 3,674 6th March 2010, 04:08
Last Post: socialengineer
  Dry & Heavy in Hawaii MetaLX 3 1,734 14th August 2008, 00:18
Last Post: MetaLX
  Heavy metal addiction Kontra 1 1,439 23rd June 2007, 12:18
Last Post: Ashes