eBay user ID list - to prevent sniping of other SC members!

72 Replies, 20434 Views

Logos: If the government hadn't bothered to pass a law that said "don't put slugs in parking meters", and you figured out this worked, would that be an an entirely morally neutral thing to do?
devnull Wrote:Logos: If the government hadn't bothered to pass a law that said "don't put slugs in parking meters", and you figured out this worked, would that be an an entirely morally neutral thing to do?

No.

But are you telling me ebay haven't noticed the effect of their policies - they give advice to come back and check the status of your bid in the last few minutes?!

I'm not defrauding anybody of anything, if you don't like the rules don't use ebay, you have a choice and can opt out - you can't opt out of the law, on the other hand.
Logos Wrote:But are you telling me ebay haven't noticed the effect of their policies - they give advice to come back and check the status of your bid in the last few minutes?!
yeah, but there's even a difference between checking the status in the last few minutes and people bidding at the last second (sniping), which that can't even help... I'm sure if you asked ebay what they thought about auction sniping they don't like it, neither do sellers as it fucks them out of
cash / prevents people from bidding the way a real auction works.

Quote:I'm not defrauding anybody of anything, if you don't like the rules don't use ebay,
It's not the rules I don't like, it's your and some other people's poor behavior and excusing it because there's no explicit rule against it. That's like saying "if you don't like my shitty (but not neccesarily illegal driving) then get off the road". I don't see why you can't grasp the simple fact that auctions might be nicer if people actually bid/counter bid in a normal fashion?

Quote:you have a choice and can opt out - you can't opt out of the law, on the other hand.
yeah you can, you can move to a different country if you really were that bothered. You're telling me to "love it or leave", which is just a lame cop-out that doesn't address the ideas I'm presenting at all.
Well, one thing we haven't mentioned is ebay isn't really an auction house at all, because of the time limit. Don't they have some legal thing where they say they are legally not an auctioneers or something? A real world auctioneers does not have a time limit.

The reason I won't address what your saying is because I think you are missing the point, its not a happy friendly environment for sharing, its a capitalist trading post that allows hitherto unforseen transactions to take place over large geographical areas. Healthy competition for goods is part and parcel of the nature of ebay, and an inherent component of the time limit.

I still hold doors open for people, say thank you, pay my taxes and believe in freedom, tolerance and equality even though I (occasionally) snipe people on ebay. Saying sniping is a moral issue is like saying it's wrong to try to win the 100 metre running race because some of the other guys might feel bad they didn't come first. As a statement it doesn't make any sense.
Logos Wrote:Well, one thing we haven't mentioned is ebay isn't really an auction house at all, because of the time limit. Don't they have some legal thing where they say they are legally not an auctioneers or something? A real world auctioneers does not have a time limit.
possibly, but for all intents and purposes they ARE an auction site - that is why auctions aren't silent, why you can see other people's bids and interactively bid, re-place bids etc. Why else would these features be there? It's likely that an auto-extended auction thing would be a pain for them to implement, though it would likely make them a lot of money. One of my old friends works for ebay now, I'll try to mention it to her and see what she has to say.

Quote:The reason I won't address what your saying is because I think you are missing the point, its not a happy friendly environment for sharing, its a capitalist trading post that allows hitherto unforseen transactions to take place over large geographical areas.
yeah, but even "dog-eat-dog" capitalist transactions end up having social graces associated with them. Anyway if you bid for ay amount of time on stuff on ebay you end up interacting with numerous people multiple times, if that's not clear-as-day motivation for reciprocal altruism I don't know what is.

Quote:Healthy competition for goods is part and parcel of the nature of ebay, and an inherent component of the time limit.
yes, but by exploiting a flaw in ebay's system you are INHIBITING this healthy competition by not allowing other people to interactively counter bid you.

Quote:Saying sniping is a moral issue is like saying it's wrong to try to win the 100 metre running race because some of the other guys might feel bad they didn't come first. As a statement it doesn't make any sense.
In this comparison, running = $$. Does the fact that you run fast (will pay the most) inhibit anyone else from competing with you? no. You just have the most of what the competition is based on (speed, endurance), so you win.

With auctions, does the fact that you wait until a nanosecond before the end of hte auction for the specific purpose of preventing ebay auctioners from competing with you, prevent them from doing such? yes it does, for all the reasons I explained above.

It's obvious this is not going anywhere so we should just give up I guess, clearly I think you're missing something fundamental and clearly you think I'm fabricating some non existent moral issue. Agree to disagree?
devnull Wrote:yes, but by exploiting a flaw in ebay's system you are INHIBITING this healthy competition by not allowing other people to interactively counter bid you.

Except that EBay automatically bids for you and will rebid until someone goes over your maximum price. All it requires is that you work out your maximum price before you bid; if you were willing to pay more then you should have bid more.
Rofl

Excuse me for not writing more gents... I generally stay quiet if i've nothing constructive to say, but this thread's turned into a cracker Hahaha
devnull Wrote:it's obvious this is not going anywhere so we should just give up i guess, clearly i think you're missing something fundamental and clearly you think i'm fabricating some non existent moral issue. agree to disagree?

of course Xyxthumbs
Statto Wrote:
devnull Wrote:yes, but by exploiting a flaw in ebay's system you are INHIBITING this healthy competition by not allowing other people to interactively counter bid you.

Except that EBay automatically bids for you and will rebid until someone goes over your maximum price. All it requires is that you work out your maximum price before you bid; if you were willing to pay more then you should have bid more.

yeah, but see my point like 4 messages ago about how this in of itself isn't sufficient and how you can't know that ahead of time... clearly they expect you to interactively bid along side this as they send you emails when you've been outbid with messages saying stuff like "there's still time left to get it, etc"
devnull Wrote:yeah, but see my point like 4 messages ago about how this in of itself isn't sufficient and how you can't know that ahead of time...

you can't know how much you'd have to pay in order to win, but you can surely decide how much you're willing to pay. if i'm not around when the auction ends i'll put down a maximum bid and find out whether i've won when i get home; if i am around i bid very late hoping to keep the price low; if the price has gone above what i'm prepared to pay i don't bid at all. this is simple stuff Smile

devnull Wrote:clearly they expect you to interactively bid along side this as they send you emails when you've been outbid with messages saying stuff like "there's still time left to get it, etc"

they only send you emails if you want them — and probably everyone but novice bidders has this option turned off.

respect for pushing your point of view though Xyxthumbs
hahahahahahahahahahahha

what the fuck?!?!

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahhahahahaahhhaa

some of you muthafuggers is crazy!
[Image: rdbbannerred468600nq.jpg]
im 'rutto' Wink
dicebambu = ...well, obvious no?
anyone keen on updating the initial post?
dubrocker_13 Teef
send fi de hacksaw[Image: archangel-michael-holy-card.jpg]
dice Wrote:anyone keen on updating the initial post?

done

[Image: fairy.gif]
arniea-a-arniea Grin
An Arnie A Day, Lets You Work, Rest And Play
nodulez666......that be me allright..... Wink
cjackson830

Icon_eek

i'm a bit ruthless and I'm actually an Ebay manager (Cars) as my job, so give me the heads up or fear the bid war!!! Grin
super_goldorak

Wave
lucullusxerxes
-a}}|{{{
chris.innocence
done
bassformatics

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  User 102, 1st No U-Turn record , only $2 buy it now- Ebay HiddenSound 5 2,388 23rd December 2006, 13:59
Last Post: dwarde