What Music Does Your Mum Like?

51 Replies, 7619 Views

My Mummy is into bhangra, hindi music, bollywood soundtracks, punjabi hymns adn Motown.

It's a bit hard to communicate to her the beauty of the Think break...do you lot have Mummies who are into your beats? Did they have a hand in your musical tastes?
Lol
[Image: mantis.jpg]
I was brought up on lee perry, James brown, gill scott heron, all sorts of reggae, funk and soul my mums collection is responsible for most of my original samples too Smile
My dad never listens to music and my mum generally only classic music, I did get her into Bob Marley though Grin
My mum's into Kenny Rogers, Robbie 'The Entertainer' Williams, and compilations of pop. As far as beats she liked the Beyonce track.

I got more musical influence from my dad....Pink Floyd, Zepplin, Stevie Wonder, Who, Marley, ELO, Ry Cooder, lots of blues Grin
My mum checks for early motown, reggae, ska, jazz and various electronica (from adam f to talvin singh!!!). I've seen her buy hip hop too, in fact she came and saw public enemy with me in '91 Cool
Sumo Wrote:in fact she came and saw public enemy with me in '91 Cool

wicked stuff Grin
My mom doesn't really like much music. I suppose she'd say she "doesn't have time for it". My dad's got a killer selection of Northern Soul 45's though! (although he sold a load a few years ago Icon_sad )
[Image: pezholiodoa.gif]

batfink Wrote:bwabba bwabba bwabba NORK NORK NORK NORK bwabba bwabba bwabba NORK NORK bwabba NORK.
Lata Wrote:It's a bit hard to communicate to her the beauty of the Think break...do you lot have Mummies who are into your beats? Did they have a hand in your musical tastes?
Lol

Mum always used to quite like it when I was playing the original funk breaks!

Oh, and my Source Direct collection Wink Teef
pez Wrote:My mom doesn't really like much music. I suppose she'd say she "doesn't have time for it". My dad's got a killer selection of Northern Soul 45's though! (although he sold a load a few years ago Icon_sad )

noooo some serious breaks in the live stuff from tut north rare as rocking horse shit a lot of em
both me and my mama are jazz freaks.
My mum likes Simply Red, Chris Rea, The Beatles, Katie Melua (?) and all the Motown stuff and golden oldies.

I am waiting for the day I find my mum brocking out to some Panacea and Tech Itch but I doubt it somehow... Lol
Mum likes The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Hendrix, Sandy Denny, June Tabor and a load of other stuff.

Dad likes far too much to list.... highlights include Coltrane, Davis, Rollins, Albert Ayler, John Lee Hooker, Zappa, Beefheart, Country Joe and the Fish, Dylan, Birtwhistle, Kaija Saariaho and The Legend That Is Frank Zappa.

I occasionally catch my mum listening to jungle and I've played my dad a few tunes in the past but I doubt I'd be able to get em down to a rave anytime soon.
My parents listen mostly to classic rock. Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Stones, Dire Straits, Joe Cocker, Santana, ELP, Deep Purple, Dylan, Who etc.

I never tried to get them into 'my' music. Why should I? They're old enough to have their own style :P
Both my parents are into anything from the Motown genre
mostly classical, she is a violinist. beatles.. folk music.. some jazz

i think theres just a few records of hers ive listened to.. my uncles jazz/funk collection on the other hand got ransacked!
my mum - mowtown - m jackson - bob marley etc

my dad - lots of jazz - old rock stuff - eric clapton etc

my music to them is noise! Hahaha
country and western, Bruce Springsteen, Queen, REM and the Beatles.
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
my mum likes sentimental "eirish" crap which is abt as irish as the Casios heavily deployed in its arrangements. her sister sent her some more traditional music that she didnt rate much, so i stole it cos i really love that "there's whishkey in the jar" tune. she also likes andreas boccelli...i think she just dsnt THINK about or seek music very much, just what's ready to hand. i always bring CDs when travellin w/ her in the car Smile

she was feelin portishead's dummy one day tho. i said it was a cryin shame that their music was so excellent yet theyre so anti-Semitic, citing the tune playing at the moment ("Strangers") - "Ooo, can anybody see the light / Where the moon beats the Jew" w/ a grim expression. she bought it, then swatted me when i told her the truth Lol

she sang to me a LOT when i was little tho - and there is no greater repository of folk tunes, lullabies, and "ditties" alive in the states Grin; all my parental musical influences except for this come from my dad
Mum loves Santana. Cool
My mother is actually pretty cool musically..

She says The Clash are probably the best band ever.. (sandanista esp..) But I grew up listening to everything from Lee Perry to Talking Heads to The Jam to Crusty festival ska kinda stuff like RDF, Culture shock etc.. she also loves dance music stuff (early stuff rather than more modern stuff..) She actually worked for Megatripolis (a groundbreaking club night at Heaven in the early 90's) and Anokha (Talvin Singhs night at the now defunct Bluenote).

The other day she was hassling me to see if I still had a copy of Logical Progressions Vol.1 and she regularly rocks CD's of my tunes along side motown, stacks, Billy Bragg etc... basically quite diverse.
My mum likes Motown, Northern Soul, old style rnb stuff. She also likes Black Sabbath and Jimi Hendrix and other heavy guitar rack stuff. Oh, and she made me do her a copy of Knights of the Jaguar when it came out. She likes some of my techno.

My dad is more into Donovan and Pink Floyd and Santana as well. My mum and dad's tastes crossover sometimes. My dad actually nicks my mum's soul tapes to take to work with him.

My parents always used to play a lot of music when I was very little.

Smile

Nick Smile
gerry raferty, or whatever my dad is listening to which is usually merle haggard, waylon jennings or johnny cash.
SKRUB AUDIO UPDATED 5/2009 SMP 48-WHAT MUSIC?-Late Spring '09 Mix
i'd say some revolting Finnish tango!
dunno really... she listens to RTE radio 1 but i can't say she has ever shown any real enthusiasm for any of the music they play. She likes some opera and when she was younger she loved Cliff Richard but she thinks he's 'gone a bit soppy' since the 60s.

Stacks
[Image: banner2_590.jpg]
[Image: swbanner.gif]
[Image: BB_banner3.gif]
Tudor Church Music

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  He's humped my mum, my dad, my daugter, her boyfriend.. tyler 1 490 18th March 2008, 01:21
Last Post: devnull
  Kid Throws A Party While Mum & Dad are on hols...HILARIOUS!! dj hades 13 3,137 16th January 2008, 23:22
Last Post: socialengineer
  To my mum. Ashes 7 634 29th June 2006, 11:30
Last Post: Ashes
  My mum died yesterday. Ben Kei 57 4,583 23rd June 2006, 10:31
Last Post: Sir Loris of Crowthorne
  Mum is scared of peas 8bits 1 321 22nd March 2006, 13:54
Last Post: 8bits