ultimate portable 'budget' setup

32 Replies, 8820 Views

Now as everybody knows I'm looking to do a lot of travelling towards the end of next year to very far & exotic places & have realised I'm going to need a mobile studio of some sort to do location recording,programming & music stuff.

I'm on a tight budget so need to get the best bang for buck but would still like a setup that could grow in time & be very useful in years to come & also maybe serve a purpose as an alternative studio.

Now I was thinking along the lines of

Akai mpc4000
Digi 002
Powerbook
Alesis Ion
Portable Dat recorder (recommend some good ones if u know any,please)
Logic7
Soundforge 8

I can sample records directly into the mpc,so all those crate digging excursions in Brazil can be sampled as soon as I get them home Icon_yippee
& the Digi002 is great for taking the outs of the akai,transfering that as audio & mixing it down or re-editing it or fucking with it in someway.

Then there's the Ion for a controller/synthesizer & dat recorder for sampling environmental sounds & people & stuff that can be patched straight into the Digi or Akai for instant sampling mayhem.

& of course Sound Forge is there for major sample manipulations Icon_eek

I'll also have that NI Komplete Care/package thing where you get all there products for 399,etc.....so Kontakt,Reaktor,Absynth,Battery,Spektral Delay,fm7 & all that stuff will be there to use.

Anything I'm missing here folks?

What would you guys use for a portable setup? & what would you change about that list above????

Icon_question
'There's no such thing as selling out just buying in'

Chuck D
u dont need a contoller? werd... damn u use the mpc???? are u serious you are the first person i have ever seen say they use that who does dnb. do u use it for dnb?... so im off topic here but u threw through a loop with the mpc thin. and a 4000 damn man your budget aint that tight Wink
K.O.D
"My Music Will Change your mind"
"From now on nothing goes down unless Im involved..no blackjack, no dope deals, no nothing. If a nickel bag is sold in the park, I want in!" - Frank White
thats a bit of lugging around to be honest.. i would ditch the mpc unless youre playing live

but sounds like u ve got most bases covered there mate. i would take a stereo pair of condenser mics as well for recording live stuff, and small active speakers like genelec 8030 or sennheiser 590 headphones (or both)

enjoy the trip!!
i got a powerbook and logic and i can say its a very powerfull combo, ditch the digi002 and get a rme fireface (loads of inputs, intrument inputs, mic inputs, phantom power and ridiculously low latency)

dont bother with mpc, you can do it all from the mac and if you want to trigger cool shit live then get yourself an ozone (all in one soudncard/controller/keyboard) - i have one for live and its awesome

to be honest i would prolly ditch the ion too, lap7 is so powerfull and with the NI set you would be sorted for synthesis (and i AM a proper hardware synth nut!?!?)
As much as I love my Powerbook (12", 1ghz) it can sometimes be easy to max out with softsynths, but it certainly has enough umph for on the road use, and there's always freezing. The G5 is a revelation in comparison tho, even if the paymenst are gonna kill me for the next 9 months, lol.

I've heard nothing but good about the RME Fireface (I use an 828Mk2 myself which has been a good buy IMO, tho if I'd had the money I probably would've gone for a Metric Halo unit). Some good advice there from Bobule anyways Smile

When did you move over to the dark side AO..?
[Image: tits.gif]
i just realised Soundforge8 doesn't work on Macs Oops

& also lugging the mpc4k around is probably not the best idea either.

But I will need some sort of controller because doing everything with a mouse isn't my cup of tea & the Ion is only 400quid brand new.

Chuck D
You know Elmo has a MPC4000 if you want to check one out I'm sure he'd oblige. mail me on stacks @ ntl world dot com if you want his no. He's in rathgar so not far from you.

Why do you need a DAT? can't you just record into the powerbook and burn CDs?

Stacks
[Image: banner2_590.jpg]
[Image: swbanner.gif]
[Image: BB_banner3.gif]
Dunno if this should be in a different thread but I'm selling my hardware at the moment and want to replace it with a decent PC laptop. Trouble is I know very little about where best to get one or even what to get. I'll be running SX, Soundforge and Kontakt mainly Any advice? My budget is around £650 (including a soundcard, if I need a separate one?).

Stacks
don't hijack my god damn threads Stackio!!!!!

:P

Chuck D
ALPHA OMEGA Wrote:i just realised Soundforge8 doesn't work on Macs Oops

I'm not too familiar with Soundforge but Peak is one Mac equivalent.
is peak the best mac audio editor????

Chuck D
I use it, I like it. Whether it's best or not, I'd guess an honest opinion would be the jury's out if I take into account the opinions of other mac folk who've used it.

Another alternative would be DSP Quattro.

I guess it's a case of trawling the boards at (eg) Sonikmatter and OSXAudio for opinions, but maybe one way for you is use what you know best on the PC (ie Soundforge) and transfer files over a network to the Mac, then see if there is a 'lite' version of Peak/Quattro. Come to think of it I have a free limited feature version of Quattro which would suffice for cutting up beats (I just prefer Peak in the same way people like Soundforge/Wavelab/Cooledit).

*looks for it*
4mb if you want it.
Spark is another mark alternative.

Stacks
Peak = Weak

At least it was last time I used it (about a year ago). Fucking ribbish. Spark was a bit better though, and it comes with some pretty nice TC plugs, and that FX Machine plugin matrix thing.
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
'Ribbish' Hahaha
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
yeah I was very unimpressed with Peak when I used it. total ribbish alright.

Stacks
Stacks Wrote:Spark is another mark alternative.

Stacks

Spark is consigned to history now tho...

http://www.tcelectronic.com/SparkLE

It's in their discontinued products list now but maybe you can still download/use the LE version, but I'm guessing there's going to come a point where it won't get along with OSX anymore.
i wish Apple would release a g5 powerbook.

Chuck D
As Stacks said - Why DAT?

would CD not be much more practical?

I'm using a pc laptop running Logic, Komplet and Ableton Live with a Firewire Audiophile.

These will complete my setup :

[Image: PICT0007_weisse_Tasten_Kopie_klein.jpg]

[Image: PICT0012_weisse_Tasten_Kopie_klein.jpg]

http://www.faderfox.de/Faderfox-Homepage...glish.html
Do you use DAT to resample AO?
no,I don't need a dat for resampling I just feed it back into the pc or sample on t he Akai but I'll need some sort of portable recording device for my travels just for odd sounds recorded on the fly wherever the fancy takes me.

Chuck D
Cool Smile
right,I've semi-decided on my portable setup & here it is.

17" Mini Mac -fully expanded
(1200 sterling approx)
Logic7 upgrade-199
Focusrite Saphirre-349
Alesis Photon controller k/board-125

So that's a badboy portable setup for under 2grand that I can setup in a small corner in a room while I'm living abroad & can easily pack it away when I hit the road again without everything being too heavy 2 carry & 2 bulky etc...

Is that the ultimate setup or what????

Chuck D
Would you just monitor off headphones?
oops,forgot about that.

Will b using a pair of 199 quid yamahas msp5's which r active so no need for an amp & less luggage/hassle.

Chuck D

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for help with beginner studio setup Spectraz 8 15,926 5th May 2020, 12:56
Last Post: Spectraz
  Tiny portable mixers Ben Kei 8 12,503 25th January 2014, 15:55
Last Post: sackley
  Making field recordings (on a budget! £150 ish) 247 2 3,261 31st October 2012, 10:17
Last Post: 247
  Live PA Peeps - What's your setup? infest 9 7,938 27th December 2011, 12:02
Last Post: infest
  hardware sampler setup noooobz0r djfada 10 8,382 21st October 2011, 19:11
Last Post: lament