Create an account

[-]
Tags
s project recent goku

Thread Contributor: Gokugoku's recent project...

heres an assignment i was working on.. to create a FEA model and design a solar car chassis.

its made from various degrees of thikness aluminium tube with some box sections as well. the front leaf springs are spring steal and the rear section is cushioned by a simple spring shock absorber. The chassis is modelled with a fixed point of no movement (allows rotation) at the point of the front axel (at the leaf springs) and a modelled roller restraint (allows rotation and movement in X direction - back and forth) at the rear axel attatched to the lower rear section.

The original model weighed 24kg's. this one is about 6.2kg's Smile (hows that for a light car!) one of the measures of strength is beam displacement from a fixed point, in this cast the front corner of the vehicle. A force representing a driver of 4x200N loads is applied to the seat section in the centre of the chassis infront of the rollbar, and the load of the solar pannel is applied to the rear rack with a distributed load across the area of 200N/m**2. Notice the displacement is uniform across the frame indicating its rigidity and lack of flexing/bending. there are some regions of high stress: specifically at the rear spring attatchment point and most of the other joints, which will require some re-inforcement.

heres the model in displacement contour shaded form for the two load cases.
[img][/img]

Dear god that's a large picture. Smile

Were you required to (re)design the chassis, or just model it? How close are things (esp back spring attachment) to their limits?

Looks nice though, and the weight reduction is great.
May you live in interesting times

The Kenosha Kid Wrote:Dear god that's a large picture. Smile

yes very big Icon_eek — in fact so big that I can't really see it Icon_sad

I made it smaller for Goku.

Now if he'd just give back my 24 dvds Smile

the kenosha kid Wrote:i made it smaller for goku.

now if he'd just give back my 24 dvds Smile

nice Xyxthumbs

and here's the text so it doesn't go across the screen either:

heres an assignment i was working on.. to create a fea model and design a solar car chassis.

its made from various degrees of thikness aluminium tube with some box sections as well.
the front leaf springs are spring steal and the rear section is cushioned by a simple spring
shock absorber. the chassis is modelled with a fixed point of no movement
(allows rotation) at the point of the front axel (at the leaf springs) and a modelled roller
restraint (allows rotation and movement in x direction - back and forth) at the rear axel
attatched to the lower rear section.

the original model weighed 24kg's. this one is about 6.2kg's (hows that for a light car!)
one of the measures of strength is beam displacement from a fixed point, in this cast the
front corner of the vehicle. a force representing a driver of 4x200n loads is applied to the
seat section in the centre of the chassis infront of the rollbar, and the load of the solar
pannel is applied to the rear rack with a distributed load across the area of 200n/m**2.
notice the displacement is uniform across the frame indicating its rigidity and lack of
flexing/bending. there are some regions of high stress: specifically at the rear spring
attatchment point and most of the other joints, which will require some re-inforcement.

heres the model in displacement contour shaded form for the two load cases.

being so busy finishing that project i didnnt have time to resize it. LOL..

i could do it now but seing as its been done already theres no point is there :P

Twisted

Grin

kid: youll get them back at the next possible chance. ie. when your in newcastle next or im in sydney next. deeply sorry its taken so long. i know how much you want them. at least you think about me every day tho. lol.

They fill a special place in my heart Smile

Bought Twin Peaks and Red Dwarf yesterday as well; it's not like I've got nothing to watch hehehe

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your recent eBay winnings? fanu 581 54,734 7th September 2017, 10:11
Last Post: Muttley
  My recent set live from Jungle Syndicate, if you fancy it.. nolige 6 1,017 12th September 2011, 14:57
Last Post: dj hades
  Sale in the Offshore Shop- All Recent 12"s $9.99 offshore 8 547 14th January 2009, 08:23
Last Post: widzhit
  Recent Issues of The Wire (anyone got em) Code 12 953 1st October 2008, 14:11
Last Post: Code
  New or Recent Mewsik Available!? MetaLX 6 548 22nd September 2008, 00:49
Last Post: MetaLX

Forum software by © MyBB Theme © iAndrew 2016