chaining effects?

4 Replies, 3430 Views

what is a good way to set up my effects for break processing in logic 4.8 . atm i load a break into Battery, assign each type of hit onto a different midi channel and then create mixer channels for each midi channel. at that point when i like the pattern i bounce each part to audio. thats as far as i've come in my production abilities (is this even a good method?). Anyways, now i need to figure out how to set up effects for each drum channel. does compression come first in the chain? is eq last? where in the chain should i insert tube emulators, bass enhancers, reverb on the snares? and how about bus effects? after the drums are individually sounding nice are there effects i should be using on bus channels such as a final eq and compressor. any help would be appreciated.
EZ - i don't usually do my beatz that way, i mean like have seperate things for the kick, snare, hats, etc... but it usually gets compressed, maybe slight filter or something if its from a record or cassette and then stick thru and eq - I suppose u add the tube last to give it the 'warmth' - if I do add fx to my beats like a flange or somethin I do that before I compress - but I think for addin echo it might be better to do it after its compressed - I don't really add too many fx to my beatz so I'm not sure - I just do: beatz->compressor->eq , I recckon its a good idea to do eq last cos otherwise you might have to do eq again to make it and other sounds sit well together, but my skillz are shit and I aint got no tunez out so I guess I shouldn't give advice...

32(.
i found this website http://www.iaekm.org/0201_fe4.html with a good explanation.
nice one!
i thought i'd share my preference when doing drums, on the drum channels eq should be rarely used or slightly used, maybe to correct an obvious imbalance... and compression should be last in the chain for the most clean yet still dynamic sound..and eq next to last.. then again, i bus all the drum channels to two or three channels each with maybe a different setting now.

.if the channel is software and plugins it should be easy to rearrange the order of effects inserted on a channel, switch a couple and listen for the difference in sound... some prefer eq last, compression last etc.. that's a pretty good article

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about effects on bass freq's for vinyl pressing? future forces 3 2,333 18th February 2010, 18:36
Last Post: cube
  Side chaining and multiband compression. chili banks 6 4,020 17th February 2009, 08:06
Last Post: Ashtonron
  Reaktor effects unit , a little problem j.ez 2 2,104 4th October 2008, 15:39
Last Post: j.ez
  Applying effects - preview not working ? Paradigm X 8 3,250 4th June 2008, 14:43
Last Post: Macc
  mixing into compressors/effects tyler 16 5,472 29th February 2008, 12:06
Last Post: tyler