a mixing experiment- repost

2 Replies, 2527 Views

-and carrying on the arrangements thread tip:

i know this dj from belgium who is absloute mayhem on the decks- mixing absolutely everything and even remixing things on the fly (one time it was dinah washington with some superthick break) ...his sets are dizzying, exciting, sometimes disorienting (but i like that) and unique...never planning anything, three things always going at once, pure improv and constant surprises like mixing the way it should be Xyxthumbs

...he's inspired me enough to give me an alternative mixing scheme to mere beatmatch...just throw it all together in rapid sequence and make sure you have some other stuff with you (a laptop, sampler, whatever) and remix things on the fly like in the old days

i've recorded a mixcd last year that was directly inspired by him, mostly breaks+dnb records slowed down to 33+two laptops, running live sequences, samples and two cd+vinyl decks...the times go in and out of beatmatch, sometimes jack the tempo down a bit, only to lock it back up, whatever happens, a lot of stuff, at least 3 things happening at once the whole way makes for mayhem and diversity...and tunes remixed- i have copies of this cd available for the open minded to hear what i am talking about... spend a lot of time working on short+concise rythyms and simple tunes just for throwing into the big meat-grinder along with material from every conceivable background to remix...trying to blur the lines between tune, mix and performance a little more...soundsystem freestyle...

when we spin the only thing we play is what we want: pretty soon i'll be able to do this kind of thing on a more dnb rhythmic tip, like some of the better livepas i've seen (like blaktronik, omg, has anyone here heard any of their records or seen them play? omg is all i can say)

i just mention this because i'm a musician full time but also got into soundsystem culture and for a while i've been experimenting with the format and hoping for similar results to a successful live act..

i also would like to hear some of the live pa.s i've read about here at sb: send me cds or something and i'll send u some right back!
seti Wrote:i know this dj from belgium who is absloute mayhem on the decks- mixing absolutely everything and even remixing things on the fly (one time it was dinah washington with some superthick break) ...his sets are dizzying, exciting, sometimes disorienting (but i like that) and unique...never planning anything, three things always going at once, pure improv and constant surprises like mixing the way it should be Xyxthumbs

we want names! is it one of the dewaele brothers?
no, it's not him, he's underground, he calls himself Ben Wah or Monsieur Wah... (Benoit's his 'real' name)

...he's been in the states for about five years, first in Chicago for two years then SF when i met him almost as soon as he got here about '98... i was playing in a live p.a. (just call it a band ferchrissakes) and he was spinning in between our sets... we still hang out, our last clubnite being ended we're doing one last one this summer until he moves back to Belgium, hopefully he'll start a musicians' flophouse whereupon we'll have to fly over and get shaggy

...i've produced a couple of tracks for him, digging deep into that roomful of vinyl he shipped over... come to think of it better get him over here for more sampling before he ships out..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  input for synthesizer "experiment" hue 1 3,286 20th December 2011, 12:50
Last Post: denaris
  Mixing desk buzzing - HELP PLEASE! Hovver 6 5,582 15th May 2011, 20:35
Last Post: Fada
  Headphones for mixing (again) impact_ 27 8,969 18th February 2011, 10:13
Last Post: dsp
  Mixing desk question... snaper 6 5,014 12th August 2010, 15:06
Last Post: Shiva
  mixing down RhythmicNature 5 4,620 20th February 2009, 02:46
Last Post: subvert