Emu 1616m an emu x 1.5 software

14 Replies, 2929 Views

I have done some research into purchasing this as it seems like the best sampling solution for my laptop. But just before I buy are there any fors or against the emulator x software???? I'm plannin on usin it with ableton for a live setup. The DSP effects are the big swing at the moement as my computer has a heartattack when I go a bit mad on the vst effects so I'm thinkin having good basic effects runnin off the pci slot card should give me more room to work with in terms of cpu usage... Anyways planin on buyin this in a day r so so any tips i'd b much appreciated!

Cheers
Grin
I’m not a fan of the 1.5 emux so I would say just wait till the X2 comes out seems like a good investment with all the add-ons. Grin

o yeah and Welcome Grin
Keep Jungle Alive!
hello there Wave
Kachanski Wrote:I have done some research into purchasing this as it seems like the best sampling solution for my laptop. But just before I buy are there any fors or against the emulator x software???? I'm plannin on usin it with ableton for a live setup. The DSP effects are the big swing at the moement as my computer has a heartattack when I go a bit mad on the vst effects so I'm thinkin having good basic effects runnin off the pci slot card should give me more room to work with in terms of cpu usage... Anyways planin on buyin this in a day r so so any tips i'd b much appreciated!

Cheers
Grin

Lol there a quite a few threads about the emu-x on here - Macc uses it (or did), DSP has it and I use it.

I quite like it, the filters sound nice and eveything. BUT it is a massive embugerence as the gui is so bad. So I find myself using the genius that is shortcircuit for sampling duties and then the odd thing in the emu if I want to deploy the z-planes or whatever.

To be honest the best thing about the whole emu situation is the soundcard, which is excellent quality and value for money. If the product was just the emu-x software I wouldn't buy it.

I don't use the DSP fx all that much either to tell you the truth, the the reverb is quite nice in that 'dance music reverb' kind of way - i.e. its not convolution niceness but does give your stuff that classic dance sheen for want of a better way of putting it.

P.S read your post again...I think working with the emu-x in a live situation would be near impossible cos navigating it is so cumbersome. Neutral

For a quick, dirty but excellent quality sampler that I'm sure would work well in a live situation, I cannot recommend Shortcircuit enough. Its cheap too. Link ---> http://www.vemberaudio.se/products.php
Cheers for the advice!

I think your right I've read some gud reviews of the thing and all are gud especially about the hardware best d/a converters n all so still think its a gud deal for the money but first of all I was lookin for a sampler now i think i might be ending up with a soundcard and soon forgotten software and dsp effects???

But I gotta spend this money b4 I piss it against a wall r treat myself to a holiday!!!

Mmmmm much to think about.....

Buying equipment can be stress sometimes nothin worse than handin over the hard earned beans for junk which is so often the case!!

Seeming as i'm in this pickle do you mind me askin then what would ye reccomend?

I've got a 17" 1.7centrino gigoram 80gig dell laptop that i'm thinking of switching my music production to hence the interest in the emu.

At the moement my audio setup is

2.4pent 80gig gigoram dv rackmount PC

Edirol da2496 8*8 pci interface

Evolution mk249c, UC-33

Behringer truths

I'm using Cubase sx 2 at the moement with various plugins but have been workin in ableton with a mate of mine to good effect really its quick and intuitive to use and allows you to jam with your tunes when you have enough controllers and really get a feel for your tracks. So switching to an ableton setup on my laptop is my idea for live capability. I still havent found soft sampler that suits my needs so Was thinking of an Akai mpc1000 B4 the emu but then got swayed back by killing 2 birds with one stone with the soundcard and sampler in one in the emu.

Have been using fxpansion guru which I really like its really intuitive but when things get heavy it starts dropping samples all over the place which is a pain! But the built in pattern and great navigation bits great for quick programming and sample auditiioning

Still think I might go for the emu maybe without the software (its an extra 40pound) But if any of you have any reccomendations from yer own experiences let us know!

P.S. Checking out that soft sampler now looks sweet alright good budget alternative possibly....?

Too many options!!!! Roll
kachanski Wrote:cheers for the advice!

:welcome Wave"

nice name Smile

reminds me of henry chinaski...
Wave

howya!
Haha cheers... he's a character in a film called barfly r sth isnt he

Alright Kev man whats up? How are ya?

Had a listen to your podcast last night man good work!!! havent listened to bill hicks in ages, must get out the old cds of his i have somewhere!

Cant wait till this thesis is done and I'm back in action and can have a serious session!!

Me heads wrecked!!!
I think the emu sound card is a very good bet for the money. If its only £40 more you might as well go for the software and then if you don't like it you can console yourself that the sound card is decent.
mmm after a long think I've come to a decision to fork out the extra for an akai mpc 1000 in the end. Reckon I'll work faster with it as I've been using some of my mates hardware recently and really like having the knobs to twist and the pads to punch much more like playin an instrument i've found... so there it is folks cheers for the advice might end up buyin the 1616m in the summer if i get the quids it looks like a great bit o kit!

Cant wait now....!!! Grin
mpc 1k is a good bit of kit, especially for writing on the move Xyxthumbs
Haha just got some bad news from digital village that my MPC1000 and evolution uc33e are gonna be 3 weeks late due to the MPC being outta stock but the good news is that I ordered and paid for the old blue MPC1000 with the older OS but cheaper price of £529 but now there's none left so their giving me the new MPC 1000 black (much slicker lookin) with the new OS and other features for the same price!!!! Thats a saving of £170!!! If only I found out earlier I could of given someone the tip off on the good deal b4 they took it down off the site! oh well just an even longer wait for me but worth it me thinks!!!!!
Just to jump in:

Emulator X is a pile of wankheading shitebags. Haven't even bothered to install it on my new machine.
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Macc Wrote:Just to jump in:

Lol
scope Wrote:
kachanski Wrote:cheers for the advice!

:welcome Wave"

nice name Smile

reminds me of henry chinaski...

or michel baguettski Lol

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  emu esi 4000 - free to a good home fiasko 6 6,582 9th September 2013, 10:08
Last Post: fiasko
  Emu 1212 clicks in recording safetyboy 5 3,336 8th November 2011, 07:16
Last Post: hue
  Emu 0202 for sale Logos 3 1,009 22nd March 2010, 21:25
Last Post: Roo Stercogburn
  Logic 8 and Emu Sampler morphy 7 1,512 21st March 2009, 19:10
Last Post: snaper
  soundcard is fucked! please help (emu 1820) J.DIGITAL 4 1,482 8th March 2009, 21:37
Last Post: rondema