Introducing: Dastardly Exposure

62 Replies, 29025 Views

What is Dastardly Exposure?

Dastardly Exposure is a new grass roots project designed to support the independent, underexposed and uncommerical imprints of the Drum & Bass genre. As well as focusing on current ideas and developments, it will also look to the past for inspiration, and act as a vehicle shared with both self blogging, and contributions from other music punters.

What was the primary motive for setting up Dastardly Exposure?

It seemed a natural progression, as time went on for enabling myself to present music I loved in a more efficient, and accessible way.

In what frequency will Dastardly Exposure be evident on Drum & Bass internet forums?

As much as possible, but within limits. I dont intend to become a spam machine, and I understand the reasons for user privacy, as well as respecting applicable restraints.

Words are all well and good, but where is the evidence this is in progress?

Below I will explain the starter projects and what they entail, and ultimately how the D&B public can get involved:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dastardly Exposure on Myspace

http://www.myspace.com/dastardlyexposure

On the Dastardly Exposure page you will currently find:

> Four track clips from labels in agreement uploaded for streaming, with download facilities and descriptions linked through the 'Audio Player Etcher-Sketch Pad' section.

> A blog concerning my '15 Minutes Of Fame' mix series.
> Specially created blogs for music held in high regard, or related business I feel people should know about.
> Event listings for selected nights, and their artists.

> An ever-expanding allies list, made up of individuals important for both spreading, and making the DE project a reality.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dastardly Exposure in print

Only in the cyber world, mind. It's the big one. Contemplated since October, the first 'Dastardly Diaries' instalment is now ready to drop on D&B forums. Feel free to link, spread or tamper with it as you so wish. All I care for is that it gets out there, and the select few people who trust, or more preferably doubt my taste possibly reading it. On the subject of reading, I'll stop the build up and drop the editor's letter below:

Well what can I say to start this except it's been a long time coming. The past few months had seen a lot of brainstorming take place concerning my music of interest. Doing so enabled the discarding of manifestations which were vague, and the proceeding with of what was useful. I had concluded that my core ideal was not to serve a musical niche, but instead retain weighty juxtapositions of content that I would deem good enough to present. The placement of a with b as it were, and an approach not regularly catered for by industrially constricted publications, or took further than single entity web blogs.

What's presented herein is just part of the outcome. Proposed as the first in a series of free and independent net publications, and inspired by the SC Street Team collective, it's designed to broadcast news on all those labels, tracks and artists you might have heard or read about once, but then forgot to check. Or alternatively, you never heard about them at all. As well as encompassing Drum & Bass with an open mind, The Dastardly Diaries will also feature uncovered gems from other genres, websites of interest, plus assorted non-profit and charitable ventures. In addition, it will contain anomaly articles that, as per the course don't fit the general consensus of what's meant to be included in a regular publication. And as for when the next will hit, who knows. This is essentially just a prototype, a sketchpad that will relent from exclusivity in favour of pushing people to get involved in what is a strictly grass roots cause.

On that note and we invariably come to the content. An important point I'm keen to address before divulging further is that if you're expecting a stubbornly up to the minute, on the cutting edge information spill then I'm afraid to say that you'll probably be a bit disappointed. The ideal interlinking all of the texts within was to write about high quality music that you can obtain at the time of reading, or between the period of this issue to the next. Likewise, luxurious presentation or Shakesperian quality texts, for individuals who, in the majority neither work in journalism, nor write for a living will have to be spared from your presumptions list for the time being. All I can say as a compromise for the losses is what I and others did write we gave a bloody good go. To continue this theme, it's also my first concentrated crack at editing, so feel free to scold me if there's a typo here and there. But saying that, what would such a project be without some human error? Wink

As a final thought, I sincerely hope you enjoy reading this issue. Whilst I can't say it was a massively enthralling time in watering down the ideals visualised, it was satisfying collating, and moreover getting on with an overly theorised set of scribblings at long last. Getting on with it because it can be done, to put it more meaningfully. I'm hoping this starter chapter will show that individuals, with enough faith and gumption can develop projects like this with minimal co-operative procedures organised, as well as working together to produce a sum greater than the parts originally put forward. Special shouts go to Anonymi, cp_ffm, Enicma, Scope and Statto for continually providing some ideas to bounce off, but to everyone who helped me out with this, I can't thank you enough regardless.

Until next time, take care, and happy reading.

Muttley

The Dastardly Diaries Chapter 1 – Contents

Editor's letter

Written: the month before fanzine release.

Sound bite: Seemingly drunken styled ramblings for your reading displeasure.

Latest from the labels

October 2006 – January 2007

Sound bite: Any official press of relevance goes in here.

Artist News

Sound bite: A downsized blog section for artists and their work.

Currently On Your Stereo

August 2006 – January 2007

Sound bite: A place for mixes, special tracks of interest and related treats.

Reviews

Sound bite: Does what it says on the tin. Reviews of whatever kind are archived here.

Spotlights

Not fixed

Sound bite: Highlighting all those underrated labels, causes and artists. Also inclusive of exclusive interviews, blurbs and listings.

Chapter 1 spotlights include:

Subvert Central (internet communication platform, non-profit vinyl label)
Shadybrain Recordings (Mp3 and vinyl label)

Unless otherwise stated, all sections comes with hyperlinks for files attached.

To give you a sample of, and add to anything not featured within, I decided to create a complementary Zip file. It weighs in at just under 50MB, with files that have been selected for their ability to either showcase the products well, or more likely because I just wanted to throw them in. Check the ID tags for the Dastardly Exposure myspace address, a page where you can keep updated with happenings related to the project, spot anything that I couldn't fit into this issue, and / or help me spread the word by adding the sneaky fellow pictured to your myspace friends list. I can't promise to spam you unawares - what I'll be doing instead if interested is getting in contact to possibly arrange a period where audio, blurbs and spotlights are collected to be featured on the page, as well as dropping informal comments and developments in your box as time goes on. It's all a bit vague at the moment but I've ensured for now that the framework is there if I want to develop it at any given time.

Anyway, on with the list.

TDD ZIP 1 includes:

Angel Zero – POTR - Warm Communications - 192kbps Mp3
ASC – Bad Dreams – Covert Operations – 128kbps Mp3
Catacomb – Buried Alive – Misanthrop remix – Shadybrain – 128kbps Mp3
Ed Cox – The Tetris Theme Tune – Life4Land – 96kbps Mp3
Genetic Sequence – Decompression / Weirdo - Transmute - 128kbps Mp3s
Jason Os – Bears – Exegene – 48kbps Mp3
Kapsil – Numb - Unsigned - 128kbps Mp3
Martyn – Cloud Convention – Bassbin – 128kbps Mp3
Materia feat. HP – Transforms – Unsigned - 96kbps Mp3
Polarity – Thriller – Shadybrain – 128kbps Mp3
Sabre – Language Barrier – Horizons – 64kbps Mp3
SC Volume 2 – Sileni, Fracture & Neptune, Uz-Has, Dissident – Subvert Central - 96kbps Mp3s
Sonar Circle – Oblivion – Treble0 - 128kbps Mp3

[Image: logo.gif]

In addition to this token, I am very happy to announce that the '15 Minutes Of Fame' mix series will be relaunched in conjunction with TDD Chapter 1 in this instance. And that means an exclusive accompanying mix for you all. This time we have Dwarde dropping a selection of high energy Hardcore from 1992-1993, and, in fitting with the era, he described the process of creating this as “just having a bit of fun”. Rest assured then that I enjoyed this very much. For the newbie trainspotters and old timers alike, here's your tracklist:

01 Noise Factory - Set Me Free (Remix) (3rd Party, 3RD#02)
02 Open Skies - Deep In Your Eyes (Reinforced, RIVET 1231)
03 Manix - Hardcore Junglism (Exclusive Remix) (Reinforced, RIVET 1221R)
04 Open Skies - Ozone Nights (Reinforced, RIVET 1231)
05 Static Substance - Ghetto People (Impact, IMP 008]
06 Sonz Of A Loop Da Loop Era - Peace & Loveism (4 Hero Remix) (Suburban Base, SUBBASE 14R)
07 DJ Seduction - Can You Feel It (Impact, IMP 005)
08 House Crew - Maniac (Hypermix) (Production House, PNT 035)
09 Potential Bad Boy - Everyday Child (Sublogic Recordings / Ninety Two Retro, SLRV001 / 9T2RX)
10 Cosmo & Dibs - Xultation (Moving Shadow, SHADOW 25)
11 DJ Seduction - Is This Real (Impact, IMP 005)

Not a bad showing for someone 16 years young, I'm sure you'll agree. If you'd like more information on any of the vinyls featured, click on the track in question and you will be taken directly to its respective Discogs page.

Dwarde has recommended these forums for all you Hardcore lovers out there:

Hardscore
Back To The Old Skool
Hardcore Will Never Die

He also represents in turn with other Old School DJs on
Stressfactor Radio, every Thursday, at 4-6PM GMT.

Finally, and for future reference, his myspace is here

------------------------------------------------------------------

Your download options:

The Dastardly Diaries Chapter 1 (singular)
All PDF documents, no extra frills.

The Dastardly Diaries Chapter 1 (intermediate)
All PDF documents with audio ZIP attached.

The Dastardly Diaries Chapter 1 (full package)
All PDF documents with audio ZIP attached, plus Dwarde's '15 Minutes Of Fame' Part 1 mix.

All can be found here:

http://muttley.kapsil.net/The%20Dastardl...0Packages/

------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimers, requests and side thoughts

> If you are a budding graphic designer and are looking for a platform to showcase your work, you are welcome to get in touch! So far there have been ideas for artist articles and covers discussed, and they may well become a reality in time providing momentum continues.

> If you are interested in adding the DE page on myspace, please send an email to the address below:

[email protected]

I won't let anyone add me outright. The idea is to build up a list of allies that either put something back into the cause, or are artists I write about and want you to hear. The second tier will be a place where anything goes, but not this. If I choose to send you an add request, feel free to do the same. But in any case, all of the above will become irrelevant if I personally request your attention!

> If you are a label owner, artist or punter who wants to discuss matters concerning DE in private, or request any information to be removed / edited or otherwise, feel free to drop me an email at [email protected]. I can guarantee you a reply within a week on most occasions, but please remember, I'm only human, and I don't ignore anyone unless there's good reason to.

> If you'd like to be kept updated with news on the project, forthcoming chapters and their release dates or anything associated, hit me up at [email protected]

> Finally, all feedback appreciated, clean or crude. Speak your mind as we shall speak ours.

Peace all.
Muttley
:mutley:
Erm, what's your last name or email address?
auan Wrote:erm, what's your email address?

erm, why? Wave

there are three to choose from in the 'disclaimers' section. ideally, you should use [email protected]

Xyxthumbs
Go on :mutley:
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
nice read mick!
Applause
u rock mick! Lovesmilie
thanks all! much appreciated.

two relevant asides:

> the muttleymarked keyword will be familiar to a small handful of doa and sc heads. originally used to mark music threads of interest, it's been utilized here via embedding it into each zip files' hidden information. when the hard drive appears to have lost your copy, you can use this word in advanced windows search to make sure.

> months specified for content are inclusive of that entire month. so when i say the cutoff in this instance was january, i mean the end of january, and not the start of it.

Xyxthumbs
Applause
Xyxthumbs
The doa version:

http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.php...did=468709

This is the streamlined thread for the tl : dr crew. I think it's accessible enough, but am always open to suggestions.

And thanks to cycom and Phokus for accepting their add requests Smile
boh!
...it's like a bloody LIBRARY out there!!! http://twitter.com/executivesteve
well done, mick. Xyxthumbs
sorry, that i didn't give feedback on the final issue earlier.
cp_ffm Wrote:well done, mick. Xyxthumbs
sorry, that i didn't give feedback on the final issue earlier.

no worries, and thanks Smile

i had to set myself a date otherwise this would probably be sitting on the hard drive for another two weeks Hahaha

in either case the content is there and i think that's what matters most.

as a heads up to the majority of sc, this fanzine was and is essentially a prototype to the subvert central zine that was created back in 2003, but never taken into the internet domain (as far as i know anyway). if anyone has ideas, thoughts and suchlike to share, and wants to do it in the vicinity of this forum then i am always up for that...i just figured that for people to take the idea seriously select individuals had to grab the concept by its proverbial ballsack and do something productive with it. sure, the outcome might not be the snazziest looking, or have a set plan, but at least now people might have a springboard to contribute to an open source project (no real face) - as opposed to something set in stone (affiliated).

that's the gist of it anyway.
do you want me to sticky this? Wave
statto Wrote:do you want me to sticky this? Wave

ofcourse he does Smile
great work by muttley
Drums
massive big ups muttley Falcon
statto Wrote:do you want me to sticky this? Wave

a nice gesture, but the front page is fine for now Xyxthumbs
i don't always read stickies when browsing the main forum, and would like to bump continually with a few more bits of info regarding the content when i have to.

:muttleyspam:
really enjoyed reading this. loads of information and a very good overview of the leftfield dnb scene (and beyond). huge respect to all involved in creating this fanzine.

yet it's a shame, that the layout/design stays so much behind. Icon_sad
no offense, but the pdfs actually don't look very nice. Neutral i'm quite sure, that this will be a drawback for some less interested readers...

i don't mean to be rude, but i think it'd be a good idea to get some graphic artists involved! Xyxthumbs

again Applause
cycom Wrote:really enjoyed reading this. loads of information and a very good overview of the leftfield dnb scene (and beyond). huge respect to all involved in creating this fanzine.

cheers Xyxthumbs
it wouldn't have been the same as a singular effort, so i have to send thanks out once more to those who co-operated.

Quote:yet it's a shame, that the layout/design stays so much behind. Icon_sad
no offense, but the pdfs actually don't look very nice. Neutral i'm quite sure, that this will be a drawback for some less interested readers...

i don't mean to be rude, but i think it'd be a good idea to get some graphic artists involved! Xyxthumbs

edit: shortened version Smile

i would have to agree with you. despite some very useful pointers from contributors, my complete lack of design knowledge means that by myself, i can do very little to improve the looks.

i don't expect any help with the systematics of this project, and take full flak for any downfalls, but at the same time, i feel these particular systematics could be worth investing time with because i am 100% on carrying the content through alone. but understandably, i need to prove that reliability first.

so, all i can foresee is, and as you suggest budding designers (i say budding as a shield, i'm always open to any help from those further in depth with their work) having faith in the idea and seeing it as somewhere to proactively lend a hand.

it'll work out soon i think....

Chin
Mutters, you've put in so much hard work to get this thing launched, I wanna say a massive thankyou from me and SC; absolutely fantastic.

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

I concur with Cycom regarding the need to get a designer/artist involved, but presentation is the last thing you should worry about as a content author.

Hats off to you sir...
Muttley, 100% kudos in your efforts. You are a true soldier. I haven't read the thing yet, but based on your posts, I have one piece of advice. I know you will take it in the good spirit from which it comes:

Use 50% less words in everything you write. Be ruthless.

That is all!! Pon the DL!!
Don Rosco Wrote:Muttley

ross speaks the truth Cool
...it's like a bloody LIBRARY out there!!! http://twitter.com/executivesteve
Don Rosco Wrote:Muttley, 100% kudos in your efforts. You are a true soldier. I haven't read the thing yet, but based on your posts, I have one piece of advice. I know you will take it in the good spirit from which it comes:

Be dastardly? Wink

You're right...that and a tendency to draw out long sentences are issues I'm trying to treat now and for instalments forthcoming.
I look forward to your feedback!

And to scope...wanna make out? Kisskiss

Lol

Thanks for everything man. I really appreciate having had the oppurtunity to do this.

I'm off to sketch some ideas for chapter two. Be back when I find the mixdown button for MS Paint.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Experiences] Introducing new / old Musics to people +ToRMeNT+ 3 1,532 5th August 2021, 22:42
Last Post: Statto
  Introducing: SubVersion Muttley 270 165,027 13th July 2020, 10:07
Last Post: Muttley
  The Dastardly Diaries Chapter 4 - The Blues Cause - Now available! Muttley 26 12,199 30th August 2017, 05:29
Last Post: Muttley
  Want More Exposure From Soundcloud??? Then Check This Out thegrandad 11 4,009 2nd March 2012, 20:42
Last Post: cheef
  [edj] Introducing...Tim Reaper. Interview & Free track giveaway. fonik 77 11,826 16th May 2010, 01:10
Last Post: PARALLEL