Do you have a favourite era or year of drum and bass?

52 Replies, 4616 Views

I would say for me it is probably 1992. And 1993-1994 was quality as well but I don't want to get too broad with this when I'm trying to pick a favourite.

The vibes from 1992 tunes are like nothing I've heard since. There's an unashamed happiness to the music. Now, drum and bass has always had some great darker tunes on the other end of the emotive scale, but 1992 combined the "happy" vibes as I seem to be calling them with the energy of a good breakbeat workout.

1992 also has a distinctive sound. You hear tunes from then and you can often guess when they came from.
next year Xyxthumbs

or maybe the one after that. the one when i finish my album anyway. so probably 2012.
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
92/93-97 if i had to be more precise 94-96
95-97 wows me to no end. So much diversity in output.
Utopian Wrote:I would say for me it is probably 1992. And 1993-1994 was quality as well but I don't want to get too broad with this when I'm trying to pick a favourite.

The vibes from 1992 tunes are like nothing I've heard since. There's an unashamed happiness to the music. Now, drum and bass has always had some great darker tunes on the other end of the emotive scale, but 1992 combined the "happy" vibes as I seem to be calling them with the energy of a good breakbeat workout.

1992 also has a distinctive sound. You hear tunes from then and you can often guess when they came from.

same as down to a tee (avoiding the word dito)
93-94 seemed to be the last real music explosion.....jungle or otherwise.

i think we're due for some mayhem...
1996-1999
2007-2008
IG: @profane || soundcloud.com/profane
I like the things the way they are right now. I'm really digging the music as it is right now.
Lets make d+b special for 2009!
the whole rise, up till 2000
1992 was brilliant, and there will never be a time quite like that again!
But, my favourite without a doubt is mid 1993 to mid 1994, where the dark and musical sounds merged together with mad amen edits..
Homerdrool

I'm thinking early GLO, early back to basics, Legend Records, Creative Wax, and artists such as Invisible man, DJ Pulse, Jason Ball, and sooo many more, I'll be here all day listing them if I'm not careful Grin
pre 97, because i started listening to drum'n'bass in 97. i still feel i missed lots of good stuff because i got into so late.
but actually there's always been something very good and interesting, as my taste has also developed over the years. each year or era has something very special for me.

[Image: loveslayer.gif]
asc Wrote:1996-1999

Yes

its like movies, every year offered its own goodness. none too much above the other.
http://www.subvertcentral.com/forum/view...hp?t=44451
93 all the way. The golden year.
RhythmicNature Wrote:I like the things the way they are right now. I'm really digging the music as it is right now.

Me too. Cool

Although though 94-97 still seems pretty untouchable.
Kontra Wrote:http://www.subvertcentral.com/forum/view...hp?t=44451

^^^^^^ Grin

Although I have a massive love for 93-95 (excluding the horrible Bad Ass style jump up that frequented the music 95 onwards). Hype, Bukem, Fabio, Randall, Tango, Ratty, Rider, all DJs I enjoyed seeing and too many great producers around that time.

So it's a toss up (ooo err) between 93-95 because of the breaks and vibes 96-98 dark stuff because of the memories and quality tunage.
96-98 Xyxthumbs
well memories wise, the most exciting time was from 98-02 when i moved to London and started hitting the scene. It was all fresh for me, i was buying all kinds of music and taking fair amounts of chemicals...

I have really got into the breaks so i would say the best music was before the explosion of over compressed uberdnb..Listened to older Renegade Hardware and Ram stuff last night from 97 onwards and still love that grimey "robotnbass"
Fushara
thush-ara Wrote:over compressed uberdnb

nice term Smile

Quote:Listened to older Renegade Hardware and Ram stuff last night from 97 onwards and still love that grimey "robotnbass"

this is sort of the beginning of where it all went wrong for me. the early ram trilogy stuff was great... and then came the copycats Neutral
95 for me
[Image: banner2_590.jpg]
[Image: swbanner.gif]
[Image: BB_banner3.gif]
Quote:this is sort of the beginning of where it all went wrong for me. the early ram trilogy stuff was great... and then came the copycats Neutral

yeah i know what you mean, there was a lot of copycat stuff..still Future Cut, Dylan, Loxy Ink and co still smashed it for me then
Fushara
I really don't like much of that late 90s 'techstep' at all. It's just devoid of any appeal to me. I don't like the militant Alien Girl-style beats, or the atmosphere to the tunes, or much really. Drum and bass has got a lot better since then on average it seems. (Bear in mind I only got into it around 2001 though, so my perception may be skewered by what I now know of late 90s d&b.

Nonetheless, it's not my thing. I listened to that Doc Scott Bluenote set loads of people on DOA were raving about and I just didn't get the appeal.
Utopian Wrote:I really don't like much of that late 90s 'techstep' at all. It's just devoid of any appeal to me. I don't like the militant Alien Girl-style beats, or the atmosphere to the tunes, or much really.

Same here. Bag of shite.

Wormhole and all that had a bit of funk to it at least.
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
+1

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bandcamp: Drum 'N' Bass & other music recommendations Spectraz 180 154,015 11th May 2024, 19:48
Last Post: Brishta
  Hip Hop + Drum & Bass done well Catastrophe 58 41,987 9th September 2023, 02:02
Last Post: +ToRMeNT+
  Jungle vs Drum & Bass Icewind 159 92,083 14th April 2022, 00:04
  Drum and bass on Mastermind Statto 1 1,588 10th March 2022, 16:09
Last Post: girth_maul
Smile Blind Test // 90s Drum 'n' Bass / Jungle (Electronic Beats TV) Spectraz 8 6,476 15th October 2020, 21:12