The Story of Rough Trade

9 Replies, 6508 Views

goddamn, that was infuriating Mad

Quote:...is a brilliant, era-defining 90-minute film documenting how a record shop in ladbroke grove led the revolt against the mainstream during the late 1970s, breaking the stranglehold of the major labels and empowering bands and labels to follow a diy blueprint that redefined the politics of record labels and distribution.

yes, that's right — and what was significant, what people remember from back then, was rough trade the distribution network, which gave loads of independent, forward thinking labels and musicians the chance to make something of themselves, and pretty much changed the world of music

Xyxthumbs

Quote:rough trade’s founder, geoff travis, is lucid throughout and the film follows the highs and the lows, from the punk explosion, through to signing the smiths in 1982 and the strokes in 2001, right up to their artist management arm’s current success with the triple-brit winner duffy.

great, well done geoff, you've signed pulp and the strokes and now you're managing duffy, that's great success for you personally, but really, so fucking what?!

Neutral
statto Wrote:great, well done geoff, you've signed pulp and the strokes and now you're managing duffy, that's great success for you personally, but really, so fucking what?!

Neutral

Punk
Keep JUMPin ya Bastids
http://www.roughtrade.com/site/shop_deta...sku=310355

Buy FBCFABRIC AND REINDEER it's not who you know, it's whom you know from Rough Trade now!!!

:sorryforthehijackandobviousplug:
Smile fbcfabric & reindeer. didnt realise that was on there, would have ordered last month when i ordered some books.
naphta Wrote:
statto Wrote:great, well done geoff, you've signed pulp and the strokes and now you're managing duffy, that's great success for you personally, but really, so fucking what?!

Neutral

Punk

it got me all mad Oops

Release
I've been going through old Rough Trade 7" singles chronologically on youtube.

Discography here: http://www.45cat.com/label/rough-trade

I've just got up to RT050. They released quite a bit of rubbish it must be said. But RT001 was splendid...

Falcon Falcon
Quite a nice tune, that.

Hugs btw
Muttley Wrote:Hugs btw

Wave
Back on the case with...

Twothumbs

Much better than the Chic original which goes on too long.
Now up to RT068. These records really aren't very good at all. And there's nothing I'm looking forward to in the catalogue either, so I think I'll stop. I never realized before just how much crap Rough Trade put out. Or maybe I'd just forgotten.

RT060 was the last one I enjoyed...

Twothumbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Uncle Dugs, Ragga Twins, David Boomah & CoGee Rough Tempo 31/07/13 uncle dugs 0 1,853 3rd August 2013, 15:02
Last Post: uncle dugs
  radiohead live at rough trade records NOW! good morning captain 1 1,040 17th January 2008, 01:21
Last Post: good morning captain
  bobule - nin - me, im not - rough remix bobule 2 1,184 25th May 2007, 14:24
Last Post: bobule
  Physics story.... dodz 0 1,110 20th July 2006, 17:13
Last Post: dodz
  Let's trade our best RSS feeds! (and links) 8bits 22 2,751 9th May 2006, 19:29
Last Post: subvert