City based Subverts - April 1st

73 Replies, 18678 Views

Quote:Chris Knight, professor of anthropology at the University of East London, is organising protests under the banner G20 Meltdown.
He said: 'We are going to be hanging a lot of people like Fred the Shred from lampposts and I can only say let's hope they are just effigies. If he winds us up any more I'm afraid there will be real bankers hanging from lampposts.'

Over the top or justified response?

Think I might work from home that day. Neutral
hanging effigies Roll

whatever happened to creative protest?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/mar/27/g20-protest

Quote:the Metropolitan police was understood to have contacted a number of protest groups warning that the main day of protest, Wednesday, 1 April would be "very violent", and senior commanders have insisted that they are "up for it, and up to it", should there be any trouble.
[Image: cartman.gif] respect mah authoritah
its ok to protest, but dont these pricks know how much more energy it would take to fix all teh damage they make when they do ths kind of irresponsable violent riots...they are not protests.

stupid cunts imo

backwards thinking.

peace
which pricks are you talking about?

these protests generally aim at being disruptive (Stop the City; Reclaim the Streets) rather than violent, unless the police go off on one
Get up, Stand up!!

[Image: G20-demonstrators-001.jpg]
G20 Rich Nations - Meetings Agenda

1. Get Richer
2. Appease the poor
3. see 1
We are having a dress down day on Wednesday

No I am not a banker, my industry is feeling the effects of the recession big time..........which the banks are partly to blame are they not.
You can hardly blame banks for wanting to get richer, and not one of them was going to be the first to say 'hang on a minute, perhaps we shouldn't be doling out all these dodgy loans, and maybe we should keep a handle on where all the debt from these dodgy loans are going'.

Thing is with this protest, I was at that reclaim the streets thing in 2001, where McD's on Whitehall got smashed up. Most of the 'anarchists' don't need an excuse to get rowdy, a lot of people were there to get pissed and have a laugh, and the police always aggravate and provoke the rowdy lot, by charging everyone, penning people in, etc etc. But then, all the headline will be about police aggression and violent anarchists, and ignore the fact that we're in the shit and no one's got a clue what to do about it, aside from chucking stimuli at it.
The cops are really hyping this one up aren't they. We'll see what happens.
DJ ML Wrote:which the banks are partly to blame are they not.

They are "partly" to blame. They are to blame because they have turned profiable businesses into non-profitable businesses, IE the bank itself.

In a free market those businesses which are unprofitable should fold. Being that the government have bailed out unprofitable banks we should expect this boom/bust cycle to continue.

Either we have a real free market or the government nationalise the banks and we do not.

This halfway house we currently have is a joke. Essentially we have nationalised the risk but not the profits.

This protest should be against governemt supporting the rich un-business-capable protectionist elite.

The only form of protectionism I would ever like to see is the protecting the most vunerable not protecting the wealth of those who cannot run sound business.
Blunt Wrote:You can hardly blame banks for wanting to get richer

You can if they made their bank fail as a business. In normal business those wanting to get rich aim for profit not debt. And if you fail misarably then the government doesn't bail you out??
hmmm

well statto, they are pricks when they decide to smash windows and loot stuff, which is what they will do.

its all bullshit

if you are going to protest then do it in the correct manner.

the way they have gone about it this year blatantly saying they will smash shop windows etc.... is completely counter productive.

just my thoughts

peace
dj hades Wrote:the way they have gone about it this year blatantly saying they will smash shop windows etc.... is completely counter productive.

just my thoughts

peace

You are right, they don't help anyones cause.

But people are pissed about the so called "Labour" governemt bailing out the rich elite on the backs of the rest of us.

Those who have lost thier pensions I don't see rioting but they have a right to protest. Years of hardwork with nothing to show.
Shiva Wrote:

This halfway house we currently have is a joke. Essentially we have nationalised the risk but not the profits.

But therein lies the dilemma I would imagine. If you nationalise the profit, where's the incentive for making it if you're a bank? This in turn then impacts upon the revenues of the bank and hence diminished tax returns for the Government.

I don't for one moment agree that this should be the way, but unfortunately greed is the driving factor and you'll never get banks to operate altruistically.
absolutely agree with you mate.

my mum and dad's pension funds have gone downhill to the max!

would crack up if i saw my old man and old dear rampaging through the streets of london tomorrow! lol

peace
dj hades Wrote:the way they have gone about it this year blatantly saying they will smash shop windows etc.... is completely counter productive.

the coordinators aren't saying any of that
Concept81 Wrote:
Shiva Wrote:

But therein lies the dilemma I would imagine. If you nationalise the profit, where's the incentive for making it if you're a bank? This in turn then impacts upon the revenues of the bank and hence diminished tax returns for the Government.

I don't for one moment agree that this should be the way, but unfortunately greed is the driving factor and you'll never get banks to operate altruistically.

So maybe we should nationalise the banks and run them as a public service and be done with it?
@ statto..well the professor definately DID say that about what they would do on saturday night during "earth hour".

I heard him say it during a radio interview with nick ferrari on lbc radio.
he then got suspended from his job at university because of it.

this will not pass without some sort of violence from a minority of those attending the "protest"...it never ever ever does.

peace
dj hades Wrote:@ statto..well the professor definately DID say that about what they would do on saturday night during "earth hour".

I heard him say it during a radio interview with nick ferrari on lbc radio.
he then got suspended from his job at university because of it.

did he actually say anything about smashing things up?
wasn't he just the guy talking about hanging bankers from lamp posts?

the twonk Roll

dj hades Wrote:this will not pass without some sort of violence from a minority of those attending the "protest"...it never ever ever does.

sure, some people always like smashing things up

dj hades Wrote:peace

Lol
yes he said live on air that if security guards at these major buildings or stores do not let them in to turn off the lights, then they would force their way in.

again, this was all to do with earth hour on saturday night, but he has deffo said that they would use what ever means necesarry to enforce their opinion on everyone else.

hence his suspension from his duties at the university.

i whole heartedly agree with demo-ing at the g20, but i dont agree with destroying property regardles who it belongs too.

fucking idiots have to understand that the only people who will end up paying for the damage they cause ultimately will be the tax payer / public.

any damage caused will be paid for by the tax payer in some way shape or form. ie, building insurance will rise therefore in turn making it necesarry for that company to recover their loss...they will just put the price up of whatever service it is they are offering.

counter productive pricks.

what happens.....well i will tell you....they will protest...there will be a huge cost for security (tax payers pay this)...the g20 will stil do what they want to do and we will end up paying for that too...there will be damage caused and we will end up paying.

like i say..imo its all counter productive.

peace
Hmmm, Arrosto was closed this morning.

Had to get my bacon sarnie from Birley's instead.

Damn you anarchists! Icon_evil
Was quite exciting just now. Police formed a line outside our office and were charging people down. They looked really riled up and were shouting. Like a load of rugby lads out on the town.
wicked

can you see my dad????

lol

peace

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RELEASE Faith based musics - oddities & greats +ToRMeNT+ 3 3,610 24th November 2019, 06:53
Last Post: +ToRMeNT+
  RELEASE FL (Focis Left) - DasClaviDiaries (8 Track Clavinova DL Diary Based On TDD 2)) Muttley 3 3,578 1st December 2015, 10:43
Last Post: Muttley
  Seeing as Limerick is the 1st Irish City of Culture this year... Muttley 7 5,141 9th August 2014, 04:09
Last Post: MetaLX
  Yet another London-based film about drugs, crime and wankers Sir Loris of Crowthorne 6 3,482 4th May 2012, 00:50
Last Post: noisemonkey
  London based vinyl heads... check this out 16th April, Dalston, East London. DJFracture 6 4,974 17th April 2011, 08:04
Last Post: widzhit