ONE SYNTH CHALLENGE

48 Replies, 8350 Views

Wanted to pop this in here before it gets shoved to the production forum.

I've seen this on the KVR forum. Make a tune with just one synth. The thread I saw happened to be with the TAL Elek7ro free synth. Some cracking entries.

Thought it might be fun here - nick all the rules from there (to make it nice and easy) then vote on each tune. Can only use one synth, no external effects.

Thoughts?

RULES SO FAR

Synth to be used : http://kunz.corrupt.ch/?Products:VST_TAL-Elek7ro
Effects to be used : http://www.luxonix.com/home/en/products.html?id=lfx1310 (still in debate)

Synth
You must use only the TAL Elek7ro for all the sounds used in your tune.

Effects
You must use only the above effects in the tune, to whatever degree you like. For a filter, you can automate Elek7ro's filter. No external filter can be used.

General song rules
Automation of any parameter on the synth, effects and tempo can be used anywhere in your track. Please try and keep the tunes below 5 mins, as we've all got to vote on them and don't want to sit through a load of old blathering extended rubbish. Teef

You can use any DAW / sequencer you like. Tempo is up to you, as is time signature.
i've been thinking of making a piece with all sine waves Chin

_
Ok - so effects are allowed, but no filters.

Maybe as a prize, all digital labels on here could chuck in one tune from their label?
what types of effects? as i understand it most effects are constructed from filter principles/math.
TVG Wrote:filter principals/math.
Chin Not sure what that would be. More like, we select a few free effects and only use them.

Open to suggestions really.
you could start first by fixing my spelling error in your quote Lol

i wouldn't mind having a reverb and/or delay efx then... or maybe just feedback.
sounds interesting...Smile
death is the road to awe
TVG Wrote:you could start first by fixing my spelling error in your quote Lol

i wouldn't mind having a reverb and/or delay efx then... or maybe just feedback.

Hahaha

Agreed. Delay is needed I think.

Anyone else want to throw in their thoughts? We could gather some rules and regs, then go from there.
no time limits in the rules pls! had a bear of a time with 60x60 Wink
Might be worth picking 1 cross platform synth and 1 set of freeware FX.

Go for something like the LFX-1310 that does most FX in a single unit or the MDA plugin set.
Then pick a synth like the Green Oak Crystal or the Free Alpha, something also freeware and cross platform.

This way people are all limited to exactly the same sound palette and it really comes down to artistry.

Xyxthumbs
Or the TAL Elek7ro Wink

But agreed same tools would be ideal.
sounds good - Audiobulb records did an all-sine based project a few years back, which yielded some really good music
Sounds like a good idea, as long as you can use any effects you want. It should be pretty obvious if someone is "cheating", so no need to limit people's technology usage, IMO.

TVG Wrote:i've been thinking of making a piece with all sine waves Chin

_

Every sound imaginable is, in theory, made up of sine waves of varying frequency/amplitude.
[Insert signature here]
i don't know about allowing any and all effects. i think you would very quickly loose the essence of the synth.

bhima Wrote:Every sound imaginable is, in theory, made up of sine waves of varying frequency/amplitude.

certainly, i more meant make a piece that only used 10 or so sine waves and focus mostly on creative enveloping and panning. ie when you listen to it, it sounds composed of basic sine waves Smile

@ Hovver: that sounds neat. ill have to check it out after i make mine... don't want to be influenced Lol

_
I agree with TVG, allowing any effect will lose the sound of the synth. Effects are mighty powerful these days. A simple reverb, delay and maybe eq should be all that's allowed - all using the same units as well.
AUDIO CHANNELS & WAVs RULE !! Teef
Oh my god Hahaha
Not something else to keep me awake at night
:shakes fist furiously:
Spank
I haven't finished my 60x60 yet and about 20 other tunes, so now I've got to try and resist this :P

Willynilly
i'm so down with this idea.

one of my favorite things is to get a really cheap synth and see how far i can push it...my default test is making something that sounds like the bladerunner soundtrack.

hehe.

j

0=0
[Image: siggy.jpg]
magdusia Wrote:I just can't take it...omg omg...I just..I just can't...
sounds interesting.

Reaktor only Teef

nah, something like ele7tro would be good for this. link to kvr thread ?

re FX, im thinking one reverb and one delay only. were all trustworthy id suggest ...

cheers
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=248760 There's the link chaps.

Shall we open this up to other forums as well, or just keep it in our elitist clique?! Wink

I'm happy to co-ordinate it all and work with it. I'm sick of fiddling around with synths so this will focus my energies elsewhere.
Cheers for link, will check em out later.

I think SC only; all for fun/learning and were all nice/supportive/helpful. I can set up a mini site to host/detail methods if required.

We can all share the patches afterwards as well.

Shall we say elektro then, powerful little synth, free, mac & pc ? As many instances as you like, and youre allowed one delay FX and one Reverb ? and compressors id suggest too - just nothing that overall changes the souond eg phase/flange/filter. Another good reason for SC only is that id trust everyone to play fair.
I think that's pretty much spot on, although I do think we should standardise the effects too. Think we should be able to use automation on the synth as well, so can use the synths filters.

I'm more than happy with Elek7ro, think it's a chunky little beast.
Yup good idea. TAL DUB II is a reasonable dub delay, and both PC/Mac.

Dunno a good free cross platform reverb... Omniverb and Epicverb are the best free ones i know, but i think (maybe you can confirm ? ) pc only.

http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/audio_vst.htm#omniverb
http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/2009.../epicverb/

prob need a free compressor too if were standardising *everything*. I suppose (for example) the UA EQs and comps really do sound good and may affect overall intention. No sure i want to install a load of crap tho :P

Automation id suggest is fair game.

Xyxthumbs
I've started adding some pre-lim rules to the original post. These aren't set in stone yet, still open to thoughts.

Is anyone using Linux to produce?
ooh a challenge! i'm in fo sho Pasty

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  #30 Day Song Challenge Statto 106 28,640 31st December 2018, 16:00
Last Post: Muttley
  30 Day Movie Challenge Statto 75 35,233 27th September 2016, 05:35
Last Post: Statto
  FACT magazine producer challenge - Against The Clock Code 8 7,603 6th November 2014, 20:36
Last Post: InfiniteSloth
  Goodbye Channel One, hello Challenge TV Ornette 13 6,826 4th February 2011, 15:09
Last Post: davetrax
  I challenge you all to do a good deed fanu 74 19,194 22nd January 2010, 14:40
Last Post: SHIFT