I'm in a delicate conundrum

17 Replies, 3098 Views

Hello all,

I was talking to C64 yesterday and he persuaded me to sell my Stanton's for some Technics as it is most likely what I will use if I ever play out. I knew this already, but chose to go with the Stanton's as I find they are much tighter in feel and the torque is amazing. Although I feel I could play out, it's definitely not on my priority list as of now, but C64 brought up a good point: "I don't know what I will want to do in the future".

Now my mission is to find some 1200's, but after playing on ESBs setup, I wouldn't want something with that kind of feeling. Platter had very little torque and the pitch was sloppy. However, his tables are 10 years old, and it took me a few mixes to get used to, but after that it wasn't bad. I just would have to get used to it I suppose.

So I'm debating between 3 options.

A. Keep my setup and learn on someone else's Technics
B. Sell my whole setup and buy some used Technics which may or may not be up to scratch
C. Sell my whole setup and buy some new Technics Icon_eek

I found this on a local website and he was selling this setup for 3200$. I offered 2500$ so we will see what he says:

Technics SL1210 MK5 (2X), Rane TTM 56S, Serato Scratch Live 1

I'm trying to sell my setup for about 2000$, and I can't really afford 1200$ over that.

Opinions?
Go with either option 2 or 3, cuz a set of techs for yourself is a rad thing to own.

I had a pair of stantons when I started, now I have a couple techs and would never go back.

Nice avatar BTW. Grin
I don't know about the mixer and Serato, but I got my Technics brand new with flight cases for around $900. Just something to think about. Wink
greenleaf504 Wrote:I don't know about the mixer and Serato, but I got my Technics brand new with flight cases for around $900. Just something to think about. Wink

From where? 900$US is like 1200$ minimum here... so still quite expensive for bare 1200s. Mind hooking me up with a website or a store?
1200s have 1.5Kg of torque? Wow... that's extremely low. Stanton T.120s have 4.5Kg. That's almost ridiculous....
get some technics, those stanton's are all torque

(sorry Oops)
adist Wrote:get some technics, those stanton's are all torque

(sorry Oops)

Hahaha

Another +1 for the Technics here.

A friend got some Stantons because someone in the shop convinced him they were better than Technics, think he was regretting it within a few months.

And although I laughed at the all torque comment, it's not too far from the truth. In my (admittedly limited) experience with Stanton decks I have to say that yes, they pick up speed on the platter well but um, that's about it.
I've found the pitch control a lot more sloppy than Technics so it takes longer to lock a mix down.

I love my Technics and going out and feeling like you're playing on the same system is a joy.
Technics are hard to find damnit... and no one is replying to my inquiries on the popular sites. lol
technics are a great tt, but VERY inconsistent. id start looking into Vestax tables as another option. im not saying dont get technics, but ive never had a bad moment on my Vestax tables :P
MetaLX Wrote:technics are a great tt, but VERY inconsistent. id start looking into Vestax tables as another option. im not saying dont get technics, but ive never had a bad moment on my Vestax tables :P

I'm not looking for other tables except Technics. Honestly, I'd keep my Stanton's. Heard nothing but good things about Vestax, but I might as well not bother switching.
What are the things you look for when buying used technics? Just to make sure they are up to par.
make sure safetyboy hasn't pissed on them. Although apparently, it doesn't do them any harm.
[Image: banner2_590.jpg]
[Image: swbanner.gif]
[Image: BB_banner3.gif]
Btw my tables are 13 years old and work great...

Only a poor workman blames his tools...
esb Wrote:Btw my tables are 13 years old and work great...

They work like technics. I blame it on my inability to adapt to other turntables. It wasn't a dig at your equipment...
Traffic Wrote:
esb Wrote:Btw my tables are 13 years old and work great...

They work like technics. I blame it on my inability to adapt to other turntables. It wasn't a dig at your equipment...

hehe all good man. as they mentioned earlier... playing on a range of tables hones the skills.

good times friday night!
did you guys record the show?

Techs 4 sale in Toronto: http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/search/?...iation=sss

Just try em out before buying. If there's something wrong you can usually see it.
IG: @profane || soundcloud.com/profane
Profane Wrote:did you guys record the show?

Techs 4 sale in Toronto: http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/search/?...iation=sss

Just try em out before buying. If there's something wrong you can usually see it.

Already went there. Got a couple of replies for some good deals. Im actually looking at one that would sell me two techs 1200mk2s and two mixers, and I dont think he really knows what he is selling because it's his mate's that went back to bermuda and is tight on cash. Could be a good deal, I'll check it out Wednesday or Thursday. I wonder what those two mixers are... with extreme luck one will be a Rane TM56 hahaha Lol

What should I be looking for? I have a general idea, but any issues in particular that only happen to Techs?
Profane Wrote:did you guys record the show?

http://dnbshare.com/download/detuned-aug...1.mp3.html

setlist is in the works

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One of my favorite Parallel tunes - Conundrum Remix TVG 7 3,153 21st August 2010, 09:46
Last Post: HiddenSound
  Work your way around THIS conundrum hahaha Hovver 7 2,002 16th May 2010, 20:47
Last Post: Hovver
  Quantum Conundrum Solution to Time Travel Paradox dj_obiwan 1 606 23rd June 2005, 10:49
Last Post: motor