Renoise (or Trackers in general)

7 Replies, 4125 Views

I don't see a thread about Renoise so I thought I'd start one. Icon_razz

Renoise is my first real DAW (I had FL before that for 1 day, but deinstalled it because it was shit) and it's so interesting. I was shocked when I saw the interface at first, but it's actually pretty easy to use and the user manual helped a lot. My goal is not to become a producer but actually getting into this whole music production thingy and experimentating with samples and sounds, so don't expect me as "just another bedroom producer" Hahaha

So, does anyone have tips/tricks/advices when it comes to producing D'n'B with trackers? My practice at the moment is to try recreating other D'n'B tunes that I know. Currently working on recreating the beats in "Stranjah - Purify", but I still have kind problems with that. I have sliced the amen break into single beats, recreating the original amen with unpitched beats works so flawless, but doing beats like in Purify is kinda incomprehensible to me.

What do you think of trackers?
Trackers are excellent, bit more niche than normal DAWs but I love them. But I used them so much in the 90s it feels like a step back whenever I keep demo'ing Renoise.

Renoise is coming along so well. You can chop beats in it no hassle.

I found copying tunes a nice way to learn techniques. If you're new to producing give it time and a whole big fucking slab of effort Xyxthumbs
I've only just started using renoise, i think it's absolutely wicked. I used to use protracker and later octamed in the 90s, so the iterface wasn't too daunting, it's perfect for editing and messing with samples and it's just so damn flexible.
Smile
Wilshy Wrote:If you're new to producing give it time and a whole big fucking slab of effort Xyxthumbs
That's right, still gets depressing from time to time.

Does anyone know good and free VST plugins for making cool synths?
http://www.synthedit.com/ - windows only though.
Wilshy Wrote:http://www.synthedit.com/ - windows only though.

Damn, that's too complicated for me. I'm rather searching for VSTs that come as a simple .dll file. Do you know good ones maybe? Chin
I dled some synths from TAL, they're good, but they are just few. I know I could just go look and find myself but I'm rather relying on someone's expeienced opinion Grin
I guess you didn't mean "make" a synth then? Wink

Check the free plug ins thread, there's bound to be a load in there.
My first half-serious attempts to make electronic music were with FastTracker2. That thing was a revelation. I remember a friend of mine had a lot of hardware gear including sequencer and it was kind of hard to use compared to ft2. While he was studying manuals and trying to get it all to work I was happily churning out one breakbeat anthem after the other (well, that's how I saw it Hahaha).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Renoise 2.8 snaper 17 8,197 10th January 2012, 15:16
Last Post: sackley
  Renoise 2.7.0 - INTEGRATED "RECYCLE" !!! snaper 6 3,787 17th May 2011, 09:24
Last Post: infest
  Renoise? snaper 7 2,973 30th September 2010, 19:38
Last Post: snaper
  Any Renoise users here? denaris 15 5,723 26th May 2009, 22:38
Last Post: denaris
  Programming drums into renoise!!!!111!! safetyboy 2 2,312 7th March 2007, 15:59
Last Post: cube