Turn The Beat Around

is Peter Shapiro's history of disco. At the moment (pages 46-48) he's going on about Walter Gibbons' seminal disco remixes...

Peter Shapiro Wrote:The first minute and forty seconds of "Ten Percent" is as intoxicating an experience as recorded music has to offer: all champagne bubbles and gooey chocolate cake. Beginning with the ur-disco beat (a few seconds of hissing hi-hats and galloping kicks enveloped by serpentine congas) punctuated by the sharpest string edit you will ever hear, the track is then transmuted into ambrosia when Gibbons isolates TG Conways's unctuous keyboard. Gibbons not only extends the track from three minutes to more than nine, but turns it into a Philly fantasia (...) of orchestral swoops, pinpoint details and intense but almost soothing breaks.

Peter Shapiro Wrote:His 1977 remix of Loleatta Holloway's "Hit and Run" was equally remarkable. This wasn't a cut-and-paste job like "Ten Percent", though. Here, he had access to the multitrack tapes, enabling him to rebuild the song from scratch, which he did. Excising large portions of the record, including several minutes of Holloway's vocals, Gibbons shifted the focus of the track from hokey love song to burning stormer with Holloway, one of disco's most charismatic and individual vocalists, reduced to nothing but vamps and exhortations.

Peter Shapiro Wrote:Other early Gibbons landmark mixes include the percussion frenzy of Anthony White's "Block Party"

Peter Shapiro Wrote:and the Salsoul Orchestra's "Nice 'n' Naasty".

Peter Shapiro Wrote:Gibbons's astonishing 1978 remix of Bettye LaVette's "Doin' the Best That I Can" is the pinnacle of his (and probably all of disco's) dub experimentation. Slowing the track to an absolute crawl and stripping it like an abandoned car with the remains scattered across eleven minutes, Gibbons somehow made the record funkier and more danceable. Sort of like the most cloying Motown B side in dub, "Doin' the Best That I Can" is almost antidisco in the way that Gibbons palpably heaps scorn on Eric Matthews's worst instincts by constantly undercutting the saccharine strings, judiciously using dropout and echo, importing his own rhythms, and essentially reversing the entire arrangement.

Dance

And here's a later thing he did:

Interesting stuff.. I'd like to have the time to read anything at the moment!

why, what are you doing? Smile

Peter Shapiro Wrote:Gibbons's astonishing 1978 remix of Bettye LaVette's "Doin' the Best That I Can" is the pinnacle of his (and probably all of disco's) dub experimentation. Slowing the track to an absolute crawl and stripping it like an abandoned car with the remains scattered across eleven minutes, Gibbons somehow made the record funkier and more danceable. Sort of like the most cloying Motown B side in dub, "Doin' the Best That I Can" is almost antidisco in the way that Gibbons palpably heaps scorn on Eric Matthews's worst instincts by constantly undercutting the saccharine strings, judiciously using dropout and echo, importing his own rhythms, and essentially reversing the entire arrangement.

arrived on 12" this morning Smiley

theyre quite good actually Grin

disco crew Wave

freaken youtube keeps fukin up on me Baffled

what's the book like stattron?
Keep JUMPin ya Bastids

Naphta Wrote:freaken youtube keeps fukin up on me Baffled

what's the book like stattron?

pretty decent so far Smile

as far as I can tell
seeing as I know very little about disco
which is why I'm reading it

Statto Wrote:I can't find this one on youtube.

Statto Wrote:arrived on 12" this morning [Image: smiley.gif]

Statto Wrote:uploading to youtube now!

Wink

sounds interesting, stuck at work with no sound atm tho.

just got this from FOPP for a fiver:

Walter Gibbons - Jungle Music: Essential & Unreleased Remixes 1976-1986

Twothumbs

[Image: DiscoBoogie.gif]

Repost

Statto Wrote:And here's a later thing he did:

Jig

Looking forward to checking these out later on, can't wait!

Thanks.
Smile

247 Wrote:Looking forward to checking these out later on, can't wait!

Thanks.

most of the videos I posted have since been taken down Neutral

but I guess you can search for the tracks; someone else might have put them up Smile

(21st May 2013, 12:30)Statto Wrote: most of the videos I posted have since been taken down Neutral

but I guess you can search for the tracks

okay, I've done it myself and edited the initial post Xyxthumbs

and on a disco theme, this repress came through the post this morning...

Jig

and I'm currently listening to this...

Dance

played an italo disco set at a 1 year old's birthday party the other day:

beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/

(12th August 2015, 00:00)noisemonkey Wrote: played an italo disco set at a 1 year old's birthday party the other day:

Xyxthumbs Italo Disco = Happy Hardcore of the 80s - horror for the serious music aficionado.... yet it's great stuff   Hahaha  (at least I love it)
Music critic for the Tally Ho

Hahaha yeah pretty much. so unrelentingly euphoric and melodic
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/

Shapiro has half a dozen pages on italo disco in a chapter entitled "So Why Should I Be Ashamed?", which seems kind of appropriate really.

Gaypride

#nowplaying Disco Not Disco: Post Punk, Electro & Leftfield Disco Classics 1974-86

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Disco-Not...se/1229766
http://www.residentadvisor.net/review-view.aspx?id=4984

which is really good stuff Twothumbs

though of course it's not actually disco per se

(13th August 2015, 10:24)noisemonkey Wrote: Hahaha yeah pretty much.  so unrelentingly euphoric and melodic

And then there was Italo-Disco's more "distinguished" cousin - Hi-NRG. Generally though, I would prefer Italo-Disco myself, due to the fact there were so many a bit over the top vocals in HI-NRG, which I never was much of a fan of. Still, also Hi-Nrg produced a fair share of goodies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxDJJPLzuTw

Went through my records recently and held this in my hands - which I bought the 12" at a second hand store for vitually nothing. I think this was actually Koto's biggest hit regarding sales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nAawc1DyD0

Possibly Related Threads...
30th April 2018, 20:43
Last Post: Spectraz
4th May 2017, 12:45
Last Post: +ToRMeNT+
  SCI / TECH Scientists turn hydrogen into metal Started by Statto
2 Replies - 885 Views
27th January 2017, 16:11
Last Post: Muttley
  No U Turn Youtube Channel Started by firefinga