Coltrane - Dahomey Dance

16 Replies, 4310 Views

Pure class Lovesmilie I hadn't listened to this record in ages cos John Coltrane can be a bit fucking heavy on occasion and you have to be in the mood for him. This is great though, it's so much easier to listen to than all his classic stuff, more music and less chaos. BIG BIG tune.
Falcon
Ahhhhhhh, it's THAT one. Yes indeed Falcon
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Good call Lorino. I love all Coltrane, mellow or mad. Grin
Keep JUMPin ya Bastids
Yes, but if it's too mad, can you sit there and not think about the music, or does it all pass through you still irrespective of what he's doing? A lot of it is too extreme for me, I have to be in the mood for it otherwise I end up turning it off (yes, I am aware I've just stated the obvious Lol )
Macc Wrote:Ahhhhhhh, it's THAT one. Yes indeed Falcon

Indeed it is Bobby. Sorry I never responded btw, I've been feeling a bit giddy the last couple of days!
Quote:...it's so much easier to listen to than all his classic stuff, more music and less chaos. BIG BIG tune.

In a similar vein - love his solo on this:

So I got a compilation of him off my mum which I'm listening to now... Which ones should I be looking out for?

http://www.hardscore.com/articles/lazerdrome/
Sir Loris of Crowthorne Wrote:Yes, but if it's too mad, can you sit there and not think about the music, or does it all pass through you still irrespective of what he's doing? A lot of it is too extreme for me, I have to be in the mood for it otherwise I end up turning it off (yes, I am aware I've just stated the obvious Lol )

Dunno quite what you mean tbh... Are you saying the mellow stuff allows you to treat it as background music but the mad stuff demands your engagement?

I can't really listen to music in the background, it always proves too distracting/engaging. Which is why shit-piped music in a public environment kills me.
Keep JUMPin ya Bastids
Naphta Wrote:Are you saying the mellow stuff allows you to treat it as background music but the mad stuff demands your engagement?

Yes, although even if it's mellow it still demands a little attention. I put the mad, screeching stuff on so I can engage with it, everything else i'm able to enjoy in the background.

Quote:shit-piped music in a public environment kills me

They play big band music on the London underground occasionally, which I find pleasant Gurkin
Naphta Wrote:
Sir Loris of Crowthorne Wrote:Yes, but if it's too mad, can you sit there and not think about the music, or does it all pass through you still irrespective of what he's doing? A lot of it is too extreme for me, I have to be in the mood for it otherwise I end up turning it off (yes, I am aware I've just stated the obvious Lol )

Dunno quite what you mean tbh... Are you saying the mellow stuff allows you to treat it as background music but the mad stuff demands your engagement?

I can't really listen to music in the background, it always proves too distracting/engaging. Which is why shit-piped music in a public environment kills me.

Surely you must listen to music when reading, writing, doing other things?

Listening to stuff as 'background' music can offer a strange sort of unconscious engagement. Music appreciation by osmosis.

Music in public spaces is another thing altogether.
Sir Loris of Crowthorne Wrote:
Naphta Wrote:shit-piped music in a public environment kills me

They play big band music on the London underground occasionally, which I find pleasant

I was in a restaurant a couple of months ago and a Photek track came piped over the speakers Smile
droid Wrote:Surely you must listen to music when reading, writing, doing other things?

When reading or writing? Good God, no.

Quote:Listening to stuff as 'background' music can offer a strange sort of unconscious engagement. Music appreciation by osmosis.

Doesn't work for me.

Quote:Music in public spaces is another thing altogether.

'Nice' jazz can be a good ambient mood-setter alright. But I prefer it to be the less interesting stuff; otherwise I'll start actually listening to it.
Keep JUMPin ya Bastids
Insanity. You dont even wear headphones when out and about.

Im going to report you to the consumer affairs devision for grievous underconsumption. Its for your own good.
Ornette Wrote:So I got a compilation of him off my mum which I'm listening to now... Which ones should I be looking out for?

Thanks for all your feedback.

I really enjoyed "My Favorite Things" the piano solo was bliss

droid Wrote:Surely you must listen to music when reading, writing, doing other things?

Not at all when reading or writing tbh. Proves to be too distracting. Cleaning house, chilling, etc. music is a MUST. Smile
On to cd 2 now...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dance Cult - Journal of Electronic Dance Music Culture future forces 1 3,762 28th January 2010, 09:01
Last Post: Euphony
  Alice Coltrane - Journey In Satchidananda Sir Loris of Crowthorne 5 1,078 28th April 2008, 21:51
Last Post: kris
  New Coltrane biog Logos 7 1,078 10th January 2008, 20:19
Last Post: Logos
  John Coltrane - My Favorite Things frispa 4 673 27th May 2007, 16:10
Last Post: Don Rosco
  John Coltrane Statto 56 3,942 18th May 2007, 12:31
Last Post: Statto