Subvert Central

Full Version: Are MP3 Downloads a waste of time?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Just want to find out your views on the subject......
Hmm I don't agree with any of those choices.

I don't think they are the future, but at the same time I would consider a purchase. However I will always buy the vinyl instead of an MP3 if available.

But from your point of view Chris if you want to reach as many potential consumers as possible it makes sense to have your music released in as many formats as possible.
I only buy mp3s when the only other alternative is vinyl..... cos I don't have a record player.....
....and perhaps I'm wrong.... but these days most people don't have a record player/decks unless they are really old or actively dj'ing.

I'm real pissed that I can't buy amen andrews stuff on mp3.
Logos Wrote:Hmm I don't agree with any of those choices.

I don't think they are the future, but at the same time I would consider a purchase. However I will always buy the vinyl instead of an MP3 if available.

But from your point of view Chris if you want to reach as many potential consumers as possible it makes sense to have your music released in as many formats as possible.

word!

but how do you proove that you've bought that mp3, not copied?
one buys, the others copy
I'd say it's a wicked idea Chris - I'd switch to MP3s in a heartbeat if I had CD decks - I love vinyl and all, but if more labels start putting out MP3s I could spend less on black crack and more on my mortgage! Hahaha

Selfish reasons aside, I really think it's worth it, you're exposing your music to a wider audience, and, at the end of the day, that's what it's all about!

You should maybe speak to the Hospital boys about implementation and the likes, they've recently put their whole back catalogue online and are selling it on their own site........
hmmmmm keep them comments coming please thanks guys......
been thinking about doing it for a while..... may be going ahead soon....
My own personal opinion is mp3 is good as a promotional/test press tool but nothing more, If I have something unreleased or want to try something out then mp3 is ideal but as soon as its available on vinyl I purchase that.

I dont personally think final scratch et al is the future because computers/applications currently arent a stable enough platform.

With regards to selling mp3's there is watermarking software, I have actually looked into this, the best way would be to created a unique transaction id for each sale, encode this on the mp3, if somethign gets copied you can trace back to the original and prosecute. The mp3 watermarking software can not be removed during a copy and will even copy across if you make a recording e.g. play through a stereo and record.
I like the idea of legal music downloads, but I don't like mp3.
How about offering downloads in lossless compression formats ?

kidkut Wrote:With regards to selling mp3's there is watermarking software, I have actually looked into this, the best way would be to created a unique transaction id for each sale, encode this on the mp3, if somethign gets copied you can trace back to the original and prosecute. The mp3 watermarking software can not be removed during a copy and will even copy across if you make a recording e.g. play through a stereo and record.

Any of that watermarking or DRM stuff would stop me from buying a download.
though i think seba playing on final scratch is cool - wonder if he has had any problems out in the field so to speak Chin
I completely disagree about most people not having record players, it is most certainly NOT limited to working DJ's and oldies...

Chris I'd go for it man, you could make this a success for sure... Only issue I have is the price, I don't think £2 is quite cheap enough, about £1 - £1.50 for new stuff sounds fair to me. You'd get more downloads too.
I used and know a few friends who use FS all the time at gigs.

They never had problems with it.

About the mp3 thing. Since I don't have a CDJ nor FS I would not purchase a mp3 release. BUT if there weren't any chance of this music getting out in the streets in the vinyl format then I would prefer to buy a mp3 then a CD.

The 320Kbps quality is good enough IMO.
make a good tune, play it out a little, if it becomes known and ppl like it, yeah, i am sure it would sell.

i just purchased two old Ram Recs tunes off Beatport as i cant be arsed to go thru extensive vinyl hunting.
and, i am sure i will play em.
none of those poll choices match my thoughts 100% but i went for the middle one.
Plus if this is the only way I can get hold of Inperspective 001 then I'll take it Hyper

So go for it Chris, but I'll always buy vinyl if I have the choice.
oh market wise I think it's a good idea! You would be reachin a market of listeners and not only DJ's as said above.

The perfect scenario would be MP3/Vinyl releases. Then everyone would win Smile
* Wrote:Any of that watermarking or DRM stuff would stop me from buying a download.

Why?
Phokus Wrote:
* Wrote:Any of that watermarking or DRM stuff would stop me from buying a download.

Why?

I was just about to say the same thing.... Hahaha

nice one rob...

*edit to add to this the do you think that a dual Vinyl/mp3 release would be the way to go?

prolly test the water with the back cat... say INP001 to INP005 to do for a quid each.... what's your thoughts?
Phokus Wrote:

Why?

Because essentally I would give rights owners more power over me than they would have with vinyl or cd, without getting much in return.
The lower price and the convenience of a download just aren't enough for me to do that.

Also, if I wanted to pirate a dnb record, I would just download the sour release off p2p, usenet, etc.
People who choose to pay for a download do so despite it being available for free elsewhere.
I think that justifies some trust from the labels in return.
If it's the only way to get a tune out of course it's worth it .. would rather haev it on vinyl though ..
Chris Inperspective Wrote:prolly test the water with the back cat... say INP001 to INP005 to do for a quid each.... what's your thoughts?

Sounds a good plan to start with, as I'm sure plenty of people who would buy Inperspective now missed out on some or all of the early releases.

Dual MP3/vinyl sounds good too - people have a choice and you are also reaching new markets potentially.

I notice some labels have gone down the route of special MP3 releases which are different to the vinyl ones - I think this is cool too, but I think the dual vinyl/MP3 option would allow you to maximise the audience for the core of the label's music (imo).
jmcee Wrote:If it's the only way to get a tune out of course it's worth it .. would rather haev it on vinyl though ..

don't panic the releases are still coming on Vinyl.. don't want to start any stupid net rumors here....
chris inperspective Wrote:*edit to add to this the do you think that a dual vinyl/mp3 release would be the way to go?

prolly test the water with the back cat... say inp001 to inp005 to do for a quid each.... what's your thoughts?

brilliant ideas i think Xyxthumbs
vinyl would be the first choice (for the foreseeable futute atleast), but if the only way i'm gonna get certain tracks is from mp3 downloads then that's fine by me.

from a labels point of view, why would you not make mp3 downloads available? is it the increased risk of piracy, and then the knock-on effect of decreasing sales? well, piracy is already a problem isn't it, and the watermarking of tracks has already been mentioned here.

as far as i can see from a labels point of view, mp3 downloads don't cost that much to implement, and they can increase your market audience massively - so are a good thing
I think my minds made up really... there's somthing in place............

If you're gonna teef it you're gonna teef, but i know the majority of people will show support and buy (I hope)

would prolly be only a quid per release and the Vinyl buyers will still buy vinyl I guess.....
Pages: 1 2 3 4