Subvert Central

Full Version: Joanna Newsom - Ys
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone else check out this album?

[Image: JoNewsom-Ys.jpg]

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=23783

Difficult to describe but here goes...

kinda folky semi-medieval harp music with interesting ballad-like allegorical lyrics, very long beautiful melodies and virtually no choruses.

dunno what the fuck it is genre-wise really, but it's amazing - has me hooked and waking up in hte morning with the wierd lyrics on my brain.

Stacks
you better make sure to check out her debut album too!
its brilliant, but as you say, hard to put anywhere, genre-wise...something like neo-folk bla!
I want to strangle her.
hater
I want to make beautiful man love to her while several Lute players strum gentle in the background singing yarns of great deeds undertaken.
I'm scared by the raving reviews she's getting.
ah, so that's rave music.....
Shes got a wicked voice, ive got Milk eyed mender and its wicked :P
walnut whales is a good one, too

overall, she's kinda hit or miss for me
her voice is slightly more palatable this time round.

but still.

[Image: 273newsom.jpg]

feck off poser.
I liked her first album and will propably buy the new one too.
there is that dubstep tune floating about that samples her vocals
fiasko Wrote:there is that dubstep tune floating about that samples her vocals

clouds - joanna. quite good Smile
She looks like she needs a good badgerin' by a real man
She sounds like Ralph Wiggum.
UFO_over_easy Wrote:[Image: 273newsom.jpg]

feck off poser.

So she's a poser b/c Wire magazine organized, arranged, photographed, selected, and formatted photos that you find cheesy? Or because you don't like her answers in interviews? Objecting to a record that you've heard is one thing, and perfectly fair, even desireable - but that's quite different than objecting to someone's record b/c of a photoshoot and a couple of interviews. Or am I missing something?
Tate Wrote:Objecting to a record that you've heard is one thing, and perfectly fair, even desireable - but that's quite different than objecting to someone's record b/c of a photoshoot and a couple of interviews. Or am I missing something?

I object to her music (which I have heard. the new one was leaked quite a while back), because I think it's rubbish and because of that moronic interview which seemed to sum up everything I hate about this hipster folk revival. Smile

I normally keep quiet about it all, because irritatingly a lot of the actual music being made I rather like, even if the people making it are annoying. But luckily I still think Newsom's rubbish so I have something to rant about Icon_yippee
UFO_over_easy Wrote:
Tate Wrote:Objecting to a record that you've heard is one thing, and perfectly fair, even desireable - but that's quite different than objecting to someone's record b/c of a photoshoot and a couple of interviews. Or am I missing something?

I object to her music (which I have heard. the new one was leaked quite a while back), because I think it's rubbish and because of that moronic interview which seemed to sum up everything I hate about this hipster folk revival. Smile

I normally keep quiet about it all, because irritatingly a lot of the actual music being made I rather like, even if the people making it are annoying. But luckily I still think Newsom's rubbish so I have something to rant about Icon_yippee
Well that certainly answers my question. Grin I wouldn't worry too much about 'hipster folk revivals' though - I had the same response a couple of years ago when it became very apparent stateside that this was going on, but once I began to look into the music a bit more and to put aside strawmen like 'hipsters', and to dig into the diversity, it turns out that there isn't that much that can be grouped as a 'revival' and still less that is hipster . . . and there are some nice records being made. : )
Tate Wrote:and there are some nice records being made. : )

definitely Grin I've been digging a lot of the oddball finnish stuff recently, and am going to see six organs of admittance next week.

another plus is that a lot of the chats I've had with people about this sort of thing have meant I've discovered a lot of older stuff I hadn't checked out before.
From what I've heard already this album is shaping up to be great...really looking forward to hearing it in full.
yes joanna is amazing, gotta love cocorose and regina specka aswell!
Oh c'mon... she's 23 fechrissakes. I bet she sucks cocks for blow.
You wouldn't say that about a 23 yr old man would you?
must check this one out, i have milk eyed mender and i think its great. also found some stuff on the net that she did wiyh explosions in the sky, Xyxthumbs also good.
Theeboon Wrote:Oh c'mon... she's 23 fechrissakes. I bet she sucks cocks for blow.

I don't understand your funny joke.
Pages: 1 2