Subvert Central

Full Version: MP3 players and in-ear headphones
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sir Loris Of Crowthorne Wrote:I run my iPod on unleaded at roughly 4 decibels per second. Works fine for me.

of course your mileage might vary tho...
Macc Wrote:
JayDoubleU Wrote:In-ear / injection headphones = long term ear damage, stop using them folks Icon_eek

Why?

The sound has no where to but right to the eardrum, simply speeds up damage, yers ears aint made to work that way, one of the 1st things we got hammered about by my lectures while studying sound enginering, half the class where walking in using them.
Speeds up damage if you have it too loud, I assume you mean? Baffled

I can't imagine your eardrums know where sound is coming from before it reaches them. Baffled I understand there's the matter of pressure regulation on each side of the membrane etc but, well, by that token, frequent flyers would go deaf just as much as headphone wearers Baffled

I'm not arguing exactly, just confuuuused Grin
i used to have my walkman up quite loud when i was a young oik... although compared to many of my school friends, not very. They rocked the "full volume makes you more of a man" approach, rather like tube going ipod users.

But since getting tinnitus i now only have my headphones as loud as i need for the music to be audible. The BEST thing i did was swap to some Shure SE420s as i can play music super quietly and still hear it on the tube without upping the volume. Previous to that i had Sennheiser PXC250s and while the noise cancelling helped, they didnt give anywhere near as much isolation as the Shures. even when my mp3 player runs out of juice i leave them in as it makes the commute so peaceful. Lol
"Speeds up damage if you have it too loud, I assume you mean? confused"

yeh man ! though because of the distance from the eardrum the easier it is to inadvertently be listening at pressure levels that may damage.

As I said its something I was taught at college, thats stuck in my mind, sadly one of the few things that stuck Roll Hahaha
I reckon it was as much to make a point about wanting to work with sound / music and safley looking after ur ears for continual use.

I always kinda thought of it as normaly some sound is absorbed / defused by the outer part of the ear, so in having sound bypass that, more sound / pressure would go directly to the eardrum. I'm probably wrong though, I usually am Hahaha
Macc Wrote:Speeds up damage if you have it too loud, I assume you mean? Baffled

I can't imagine your eardrums know where sound is coming from before it reaches them. Baffled I understand there's the matter of pressure regulation on each side of the membrane etc but, well, by that token, frequent flyers would go deaf just as much as headphone wearers Baffled

I'm not arguing exactly, just confuuuused Grin

i think the issue is that the risk of damage is much higher. I noticed when I started using those seinheisers last week, that even though the volume was the same (or less) than when I was using the Sonys - I was coming away with a slight ringing in my ears...
When you say volume, what exactly do you mean? You mean the setting on your mp3 player, or something else?
Macc Wrote:When you say volume, what exactly do you mean? You mean the setting on your mp3 player, or something else?

The subjective level of loudness as I heard it - and the level of the Mp3 player.

I listen 'on the go' for about 3 hours a day, and often listen to the same Mp3s repeatedly, so I do have a point of comparison.
OMG this thing is fucking cool! my jaw is still on the floor and ive been playing with it for about 2 hours now!! Grin Grin Grin
If your going to buy an mp3 player soon i would highly recomend one of these! :thumbsup:
Pages: 1 2