Subvert Central

Full Version: Monitor speakers!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Icon_question
Hi,
I know this may be quite a regular question but I need some advice on getting some monitors. They'll be mostly used for d & b, but not exclusively.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to these:

1)Alesis M1 Aktiv

http://www.thomann.de/gb/alesis_m1_aktiv..._mk_ii.htm

6.5" - They seem to be a good deal and go down to 38Hz but are they any good?

2)M-audio BX8A

http://www.thomann.de/gb/m_audio_bx8a_deluxe.htm

8" - Supposed to be decent enough??

and..

3)KRK RP6

http://www.thomann.de/gb/krk_rp6_rokit_g2.htm

6" - The most expensive when size is taken into account but I know they have the reputation.

Basically would the other two match up to these?

any suggestions much appreciated!
RP6 Grin

Search for monitors on here for untold discussions on it mate.
WiLSHY Wrote:RP6 Grin
definatly worth going into a shop and trying them out... Ideally the shop will let you try them out in your room. (my local shop does this Smile

some mates of mine just got some GENELEC 6010A which are tiny but in their room they sound great... they use these instead of the RP6 they had before.. Their studio is small so the RP6s were just pumping out too much for the room. Comparing them side by side in that environment there was so much more clarity and detail coming from the genelecs... i was very surprised how much bass they managed to produce.. especially as they are only spec'ed down to 77hz

This could of course be their room though.. and they are making house music so...

Choosing monitors is really hard...
if i remember rightly my mate had a set of of the m1 they seem to add a lot of bass (well to me they did) and now he has tinnitus not just coz of the m1 but they didnt help in a small room

not to sure on the others i think i might of heard some good thing about the krk's
I just got the new mackie's HR-824 Mk 2's.....

Sweet jesus they sound nice..... Icon_yippee

Expensive but defo worth it.

XAF.
I have the originals. Love em

Id say, IMHO, its not worth scrimping on monitors - they will last you for years. Ive had the mackies around 7 years now and still sound as good.

Buy cheap, buy twice, or summat macc says.
Cheers to all,
I had a look at the Genelecs too, I just thought they might be too small; i guess the best thing is to try them out. I'll look into the Mackies aswell!
Theres a smaller 624 thats a lot cheaper, especially the older model. Should be fine for a smaller room. Highly recommended.
Yea, I saw the 624 alright,, where could you go about getting the older model? I just keep finding it listed as discontinued.
genelecs are reet nice
I'm at the point where I'm about to invest in a decent set of monitors too.

Used Genelec's in college last year, they did seem to be good.

gonna have a look around online now to see what I can see... might be better to hold off till after Xmas maybe ? I take it there's usually some on sale in January ?
Xaf Wrote:I just got the new mackie's HR-824 Mk 2's.....

Sweet jesus they sound nice..... Icon_yippee

Expensive but defo worth it.

XAF.

35Hz response on the low end,

I like it !
Believe me....U know it's there also....

Proper trouser flapping business...... Icon_yippee
Did you ever hear the MK1s ? What are the differences ?

I have the Mk1s, love em.
mackie's are overrated imo, been testing them extensively and they sound nice, but a bit too nice. their not very realistic imo hotspot is big and the low end is coloured.
titanium Wrote:mackie's are overrated imo, been testing them extensively and they sound nice, but a bit too nice. their not very realistic imo hotspot is big and the low end is coloured.

The plot thickens !

... I'm just trying to find out if there's somewhere in Ireland where I can hear a good few of the popular monitor choices, so I can hear for myself. Seems to be the best thing to do.
I currently work in a studio where we have mackies mk1 & mk2, krk vxt-8, yamy ns10, tapco s8's, dynaudio bm15a, genelecs (soz forgot the model...), and digidesign rm2 (also v nice)

The mackie's come out sounding best, and are also found to be most useful everytime by everybody who works with them down here.

The mk2's also sound clearer than the mk1's imo......

I'm not biased either way.....but i know which i prefer.

XAF
Xaf Wrote:shut yer face you cunt

Fight! Fight! Fight! Teef
Macc Wrote:

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Lol
Spank
Macc Wrote:

Fight! Fight! Fight! Teef

[Image: gayfight2.gif]
Xaf Wrote:Spank

Nah it's alright... he is a cunt Teef
genelec 8040's Xyxthumbs expensive but worth the dough.
macc Wrote:
xaf Wrote:Spank

nah it's alright... he is a cunt Teef

Wave
Pages: 1 2