Subvert Central

Full Version: EPM Podcast 10 : Vince Watson + Q&A + News of new website with free music
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.epm-musiconline.com/podcasts/item/74-

1. Kindred Spirits Orchestra - John Coltrane - KSFS 3CD
2. Vince Watson - Love in F Minor (Intro Mix) - Esol001
3. Vince Watson - Come with Me - Esol001
4. Ollie Brooke - Into Your Dream (John Beltran Mix)
5. Yasuo Sato - I will go to the place - Logos 025
6. Gene Farris - Back and Forth - Stacey Pullen Mix - Farris Wheel 028
7. Mush - Test66 - Nightvision NV013.5
8. Aroy Dee - The Planets - MOS 004
9. Quince - My Lifes Rhythm - Delsin 77
10. Sidearms - Humantics (Vince Watson Mix) - Logos 024
11. Peritto Lindross - Reventulli - Introvert Mix - Nightvision NV018
12. Vince Watson - Long Way from Home - Delsin

Download : http://www.epm-musiconline.com/images/st...st_128.mp3

Following Rulex’s exclusive Farris Wheel house excursion we now welcome Vince Watson to the EPM Podcast, providing a deep journey into the more soulful realms of techno, house and leftfield jazz. Featuring the likes of Kindred Spirits Orchestra, Ollie Brooke, Quince, Aroy Dee, Gene Farris and of course his own productions and remixes, Vince Watson takes us on a trippy and hypnotic ride to the centre of the dancefloor.

Ever since dropping his first EP for Dave Angel’s Rotation label back in 1996, Glaswegian Vince Watson seemed to master the more soulful and funk infused parts of techno from the very beginning. Now with over 100 releases to his name, including labels such as Alola, Headspace, Planet-e, F Comm, Ibadan, Immigrant, Blue Basique, Native, Symbolism, Delsin, Tronic, Ingoma and his own Bio and Bio Elements imprints Vince announces a new label to the fold as he unveils his Everysoul imprint which is unveiled here in his mix.

With a new EP set for release on Bio this summer – backed with a Kirk Degiorgio remix, a new version of Mystical Rhythm feat. Naomi Thomson on Urban Torque due september, his 6th album ‘Every Soul Needs a Guide’ due later in the year on his new label Everysoul and a host of remixes ready to drop for the likes of Funk D’Void (Urban Torque), John Beltran (Technoir), Alexander Kowalski (Damage), Orlando Voorn (Nightvision), Kirk Degiorgio (ART), Darren Roach (Bombis Child) plus more Red Bull Music Academy Radio Shows on the way 2010 looks set to be Vince’s biggest year yet. So why not dive in and see what all the fuss is about.

Q&A with Vince Watson

1. Please give us a quick walk through your selection. Why did you choose these tracks and artists for the mix?
I wanted to give a balanced viewpoint of the versatile music that I play when i DJ. Starting from the lounge and working it up was the way forward on this, and I had some great music to select from, but i also thought it was important to get some timeless tracks in there.

2. Your style has often been compared to the more soulful side of techno. Do you feel that after all these years of ‘minimal’ that the soul is coming back?
The last 6 months I have bought more new music than i have in the last 3 years. There is a really nice groove going on at the moment, after the boredom of the minimal era got everyone looking for music again. My new upcoming projects are going to lay the foundations for the next 10 years of my career and its all taking inspiration from some of the music around at the moment.

3. After all these years how have you kept the passion?
I have no idea…its a burning desire to succeed in giving the world something it didn't have before. Ive no doubt in my mind its the reason im here in the first place but im not sure what its called Smile

4. You have had an EP released on Carl Craig’s Planet-e and were set to release a double-pack on Transmat in 2004 when the label went into hiatus. Why is there such a deep connection between Detroit and Glasgow?
Both industrial cities, lots of hardship brings the best out of the soul when you need an escape. We have been lucky to have a great connection with Detroit, probably more so than any other music city through the years. The crowds in Glasgow appreciate the mechanical and the art based side of the music. We also have 2 universities which brings with it a nice club scene.

5. In the mid to late 90s your releases were often labelled as ‘tech-house’ but are you more techno than house or more house than techno?
The only thing i want to be known more for is quality rather than genres. I feel im still learning and have at least another 10 albums in me. Genre's are so necessary and i understand that, but to me they just prevent you from listening to other forms of music. For example, if you listen to a DJ set of mine now, you would call it a blend of Funk and Soul and Techno mixed up…when actually i don't remember the last time i bought a record from the techno section of any stores….Its just good music to me. Period.

6. The World Cup has just started with sadly no Scotland. Who are your adopted team for the tournament?
Well, im a Dutch resident now but Im not supporting them….I’ll be excited to see Spain, as they are playing the best team play of any side at the moment. Brazil are far too European now, i do think the Dutch will surprise this year but not enough to win it, but never ever discount the Germans. Ever!

7. Word is that your 6th studio album ‘Everysoul Needs a Guide’ is coming soon on your new Everysoul imprint. How does this differ from your previous albums?
Its coming yes, but with some massive vocal guests and other surprises…a totally new venture for me and another avenue to explore. The size of the project now means I wouldn't be able to do it justice on my own label so it will be announced on a quality label shortly. This album is Brokenbeat, Ambient and Jazz with a little House grooves in there for good measure….but as i say, its all just good music. I want people to listen to it without any barriers.

8. Which new artists and labels, in your opinion, should we be looking out for?
Yasuo Sato, Andrea Suglia and Conforce are 3 artists that are really getting attention from me at the moment.

9. You have released a prolific number of EPs under your own name and pseudonyms such as Nico Awsventin, Essence, Sphere, The Orange Project and V-Phorms but if you had to pick one EP out as your favourite release which one would it be and why?
Over 100 releases now…scary! The Sublimina LP on Headspace still gives me goosebumps….don't know how i pulled that off haha…also My Desire on Planet E is a very emotional moment and will always be in my top 3 tracks that ive made. Lots really, i wouldn't be doing this if i wasn't proud of my music!

10. Please give us your top 5 ‘All Time Techno Classics’
Rhythim is Rhythim - Icon
Carl Craig - Twilight
UR - Journey of the Dragons
Kenny Larkin - Metaphor LP
Rhythim is Rhythim - Kaotic Harmony

http://soundcloud.com/vincewatson/avdwliveditsample

This is a sample of the 1st free download available from my new website launching later this week..

I will be giving away 1 free track per week and also one fresh DJ mix or new Liveset per month.

Stay tuned....
ooof, plenty of things to download and listen to today. this, all the nerve releases, some dub i just bought.
good times Yes
btw, this is the link to the podcast

http://www.epm-musiconline.com/images/st...st_128.mp3

one up there don't work
cube Wrote:btw, this is the link to the podcast

http://www.epm-musiconline.com/images/st...st_128.mp3

one up there don't work

Ah, cheers! Fixed in my post now, didn't copy it properly from the post I made on DOA.