Subvert Central

Full Version: The Upsetter has interviewed Dev Paradox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Upsetter has yet again interviewed Dev Paradox. -->

http://spectraz.nu
nice interview - but the following statement is slightly annoying:

The upsetter:
Firstly, perhaps I should explain precisely that I believe that not only is drum n bass (particularly UK dnb) experiencing a renaissance, but that the 'mainstream' of dnb has actually reached a creative nadir, where each week the record racks are stocked full of fillers - bland rehashes of the same idea, with only minor tweaks in production setting one apart from the other. Nothing new there - you might say, but what's missing at the moment is any compensation in the form of outstanding musical moments - there are no classics slipping through, no voyages into personal musical visions expressed through this once highly malleable form, no works that you could proudly play to outsiders - to enable the form to become re-established as a form worthy of comparison with the likes of hiphop. Instead, drum n bass is dying a musical death courtesy of its slavish obsession with servicing the lowest common denominator and by its steadfast refusal to engage with new ideas that might alter the latest seeming winning formula.

Whilst I agree with that in the main, as a label with the history of diversity and musicality of streetbeats, it makes me go :shrug

big up Dev as always Smile
Streetbeats falls behind DOA massive :eeks :eeks :eeks

http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.php...8&cache=26
scope Wrote:nice interview - but the following statement is slightly annoying:

the upsetter:
firstly, perhaps i should explain precisely that i believe that not only is drum n bass (particularly uk dnb) experiencing a renaissance, but that the 'mainstream' of dnb has actually reached a creative nadir, where each week the record racks are stocked full of fillers - bland rehashes of the same idea, with only minor tweaks in production setting one apart from the other. nothing new there - you might say, but what's missing at the moment is any compensation in the form of outstanding musical moments - there are no classics slipping through, no voyages into personal musical visions expressed through this once highly malleable form, no works that you could proudly play to outsiders - to enable the form to become re-established as a form worthy of comparison with the likes of hiphop. instead, drum n bass is dying a musical death courtesy of its slavish obsession with servicing the lowest common denominator and by its steadfast refusal to engage with new ideas that might alter the latest seeming winning formula.

whilst i agree with that in the main, as a label with the history of diversity and musicality of streetbeats, it makes me go :shrug

he did say "the 'mainstream' of dnb"

for sb-friendly stuff check http://www.spectraz.nu/upsetter.htm

the upsetter Wrote:drum 'n' bass evolved at a bewildering pace in the mid '90s - clearly too fast even for many of the people involved in making and playing it. however, while its primary strengths (rhythmic invention and the range of moods / atmospheres attainable through sampling from other music) have since largely been purged from the scene, a kickback against the rhythmic fascism of the last 5 years has finally begun to take shape. labels like streetbeats, inperspective, cadence are bucking the trends to push their music regardless of which camp it appeals to, while long-serving heads like danny breaks, paradox and polar are beginning to find common ground.

Xyxthumbs
The three new labels are 'Outsider', 'Paradox Music' and 'Esoteric'. The 1st release on Outsider is by myself as Paradox. The second release is in the form of 'Sileni v Paradox'. Chris Sileni is an American producer that I met whilst performing in Boston, USA. This guy is probably the closest I've met to the Paradox sound and I've got big plans for him. Also up after Chris are UK artists Fracture and Neptune. These two are talented lads that will feature on Outsider and Paradox music.

Bo!
schlong!
Statto Wrote:Streetbeats falls behind DOA massive :eeks :eeks :eeks

http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.php...8&cache=26

meaning???

PS looks like you gots the avatar bug statster..............
scope Wrote:meaning???

Nothing really :shrug

scope Wrote:PS looks like you gots the avatar bug statster..............

got some more lined up as well! :bouncer
PAULINE CALF !!!!!
Smooth operator...