Subvert Central

Full Version: The Narcisse Shuffle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Why has this had no replies???? Insane tune
Maff Wrote:Why has this had no replies????

because you hadn't posted yet Icon_razz

Maff Wrote:Insane tune

pretty good Xyxthumbs

but for me it's not insane enough — there's loads of nice stuff going on but it's all kind of regular, everything starts at the beginning of the bar. I'd like to hear things come in in the middle, off-beat; perhaps create disjointed cross-rhythms (say 3 or 5 against 4), perhaps throw in an extra beat or half-beat here and there — just to fuck with the groove and give people a jolt
Statto - I'd have to disagree. This is the least 'regular' dnb (if it even is dnb) track i've heard for ages... there's a constant barrage of creativity and inventiveness to keep the ear/mind ridiculously busy and i personally love that it's one single constant is the mantra that gives it that properly tribal feeling - not these tracks people laud about as tribal when it's just a track with some djembe samples or a rainmaker sound in it somewhere. Timing fuckaboutery would just kill the feel of it Neutral

For me it also has that desperately missed REAL identity thing that the music is crying out for these days: a fucking great vibe and the sound of someone genuinely enjoying themselves instead of yet more boring cap-tipping/90's-emulation-but-stepped-up-with-the-new-production-ethos... In turn that bizarrely also means it ends up detached from the music as a result, but then..... good!

So fresh to hear something that makes you think 'fuck me, I think he might be massively into Yello' as opposed to 'oh yeah, another one who likes Paradox/Instramental/whoever'.

I'll shut up now, but I urge you to rewind and reconsider your 'pretty good' rating Statts, as it really is worth more than that Wave
Hahaha epic Grin

there are cross rhythms in there now and then but they are buried under layers.. a lot of em are quite short, they had to be or it wouldnt work otherwise..
Maff Wrote:it's one single constant is the mantra that gives it that properly tribal feeling
nail on the head Xyxthumbs

if you try to dance to it you end up looking like a twitching zombie with a limp, hence the title Hahaha
Maff Wrote:personally love that it's one single constant is the mantra that gives it that properly tribal feeling - not these tracks people laud about as tribal when it's just a track with some djembe samples or a rainmaker sound in it somewhere. Timing fuckaboutery would just kill the feel of it Neutral

The basic rhythm can still be tribal. But what goes over it can be more fucked up. Think Burundi drumming or Japanese Taiko.

Maff Wrote:For me it also has that desperately missed REAL identity thing that the music is crying out for these days: a fucking great vibe and the sound of someone genuinely enjoying themselves instead of yet more boring cap-tipping/90's-emulation-but-stepped-up-with-the-new-production-ethos... In turn that bizarrely also means it ends up detached from the music as a result, but then..... good!

So fresh to hear something that makes you think 'fuck me, I think he might be massively into Yello' as opposed to 'oh yeah, another one who likes Paradox/Instramental/whoever'.

I'm all for that Twothumbs

And I wasn't proposing clinical edits. Just that the secondary rhythms could be more wild, even more spontaneous. Think Cuban congueros.

Maff Wrote:So fresh to hear something that makes you think 'fuck me, I think he might be massively into Yello' as opposed to 'oh yeah, another one who likes Paradox/Instramental/whoever'.

And that too Twothumbs

Maff Wrote:I'll shut up now, but I urge you to rewind and reconsider your 'pretty good' rating Statts, as it really is worth more than that Wave

Ok, I'll listen to it again Xyxthumbs
Nice one mate, sorry to rant! Hugs
Pretty interesting. Love the hoover, crunchy. So many different influences in here. All a bit manic for me these days but that's just me.

Certainly didn't have me turning off Xyxthumbs
Statto Wrote:everything starts at the beginning of the bar. I'd like to hear things come in in the middle, off-beat;

I'd consider this the difference between Funk & Jazz respectively. "Get up for the downstroke" James Brown.
Anyway this track is awesome!!! Favorited on Soundcloud!!
Some nice percussion kits used in this one, thought the juno hoover was a bit out of place together with the clean eastern vibe drum sounds though, also felt like there should be a kickdrum & snare somewhere earlier on, iow a beat Smile ..structure is kind of stretched out, drags a bit imo, I'd cut away some minutes here and there to make it more compact, but that is a taste thing, cheers.