Subvert Central

Full Version: Wav, aiff - sound quality?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering which is the best sound quality wise?

I'm saving some tracks with a view to burning them to CD... so I just wanna know which is the best format? Is there any other format that is even better?

Finally, whichever is the best, are you losing much quality between your original CD Audio track and the saved wav/aiff?
unless you use compression, which i dont think wav or aiff do by defualt, both should contain exactly the same information.

as long as you use 16bits, 44khz (which is what cd audio is) the cd should sound exactly the same (and even contain exactly the same data) as the audio file on your computer
there's no difference between the two as far as I know, code. Aiff is the mac version of wav (or rather it's the other way round)

Stacks
ive heard that aiffs are slightly higher quality? could be bullshit though
well aiff is mac standard, wav is windows.

Stacks
it happens aiff takes a bit more mb then wav...well here it is!

but no remarkable extra quality.
Aiff and Wav are the same thing... the only difference is the header info as far as I know.

Any difference in file size would be due to this difference in header info I guess.

as for other formats... sure, you can use a higher quality but you won't be able to burn it as an audio CD that'll play back in a CD player.

WAV or AIFF/AIF at 16-Bit 44.1 KHz is CD quality sound, although some CD players now recognise MP3 format audio use either WAV or AIFF for 100% compatibility.

Some CD burning apps will convert before they burn anyway.. some mac only burning apps only burn AIFF and some windows apps only burn WAV.
Ben - what kind of audio is higher quality that wav and aiff?
Cheers lads!
UFO_over_easy Wrote:Ben - what kind of audio is higher quality that wav and aiff?

If you mean what I think you mean, I reckon Ben (Kei) is talking about 24 or 32-bit floating point wave files.... They are higher resolution files that give greater dynamic range (and with 32-bit files, a ridiculous amount of overhead above 0 dB). They won't work if you burn them to an audio CD without converting them to 16-bit first. There are also higher sampling rates than 44.1kHz, they also need conversion if you want them on an audio CD.

And........ no, just don't get me started Grin
analog is higher quality than wav
Macc Wrote:
UFO_over_easy Wrote:Ben - what kind of audio is higher quality that wav and aiff?

If you mean what I think you mean, I reckon Ben (Kei) is talking about 24 or 32-bit floating point wave files.... They are higher resolution files that give greater dynamic range (and with 32-bit files, a ridiculous amount of overhead above 0 dB). They won't work if you burn them to an audio CD without converting them to 16-bit first. There are also higher sampling rates than 44.1kHz, they also need conversion if you want them on an audio CD.

And........ no, just don't get me started Grin

That pretty much covers the basics of it! Thanks for answering there Macc or I'd have written an essay length explaination before I'd even realised it!

:geek:
I SAID DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!!

Grin
You can burn to cd at higher than 16-bit, I've done it.

If you use a conventional burner it comes out as, "hththththkfjdnvjkt5hhyththththhthththt".

Hahaha

BTW, Alesis make a mastering burner that can actually do this.
Yeah, but all it is doing is the same as another 24-16 bit conversion process: Dithering and then quantisation. It just does it on the fly, I suppose. Not that impressive really :P

BTW - it isn't funny when you burn 24-bits to a CD, not when it is my ears that bear the brunt of the 'KSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTT' that erupts!!!! Icon_evil :wack

Wink
Macc Wrote:I SAID DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!!

Grin
Grin GEEK !
equinox Wrote:
Macc Wrote:I SAID DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!!

Grin
Grin GEEK !

'Geek' is the common terminology for an individual who spends a larger portion of their time studying a single thing than 'normal' people. While this can result in enhanced knowledge with respect to their chosen field of expertise, it more often than not results in the wearing of NHS glasses, poor haircut, acne, and a total lack of ability to get any pussy.

Oh, sorry, I thought you wanted a definition....... I'm a geek geek, you see :bustedthumb
yeh, you are a geek Lol

oh shit, so am i!

rock-rock on...