Subvert Central

Full Version: What constitutes a vitamin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Obviously there is something that all vitamins have in common..

So what are the rules for the vitamin family? What makes a vitamin a vitamin?

This was something myself and my mother were talking about earlier, I'm sure someone on here knows.

Thank you..

Grin
I know I know I know!

OK, vitamins are things that we need that the body can't make. We have to eat them and that. They are all small organic molecules that we have to ingest (eat your greens!) but we can't absorb them without food (so you have to eat vitamin tablets with a meal).

Vitamins are all based on heterocycles (i.e. rings made out of joined carbon and nitrogen atoms, I'll try to find a pic....). They are all coenzymes (i.e. they bind to other stuff already in our bodies to catalyse and enhance metabolic reactions).

They are really cool.

Here is a cool site which shows the chemical structure of all the vitamins
and what enzymes in the body they bind to. They all look pretty similar really but they function differently.
I always thought it was FAT!!!!!!!!!
Lata Wrote:[color=cyan]I you have to eat vitamin tablets with a meal).

if i just take it with water, it is not gonna work or is bad for my stomache? Icon123
Michal Wrote:
Lata Wrote:you have to eat vitamin tablets with a meal).

if i just take it with water, it is not gonna work or is bad for my stomache? Icon123
It's just not going to work dude. It needs fibre specifically to work. I don't want you to waste good dollar on vitamins if they don't work - you may as well have cereal instead since they put all the vitamins in them see.

Smile
Icon_evil
i feel cheaed, the diretions for use do not say : wont work unless taken with meal.

btw. i read in the paper some time ago, that vitamins in pill work very little. almost not at all. Chin
Lata Wrote:It's just not going to work dude. It needs fibre specifically to work. I don't want you to waste good dollar on vitamins if they don't work - you may as well have cereal instead since they put all the vitamins in them see.

Smile

Ok, so what's the best way to ingest vitamins?

Icon_question
The best way to ingest them is to get them from food.

A bowl of cereal a day, lots of fruit and veg, that sort of thing.

I think that you only really absorb about 1/4 of the vitamins in pills, even when taking it with food.

It's really bad to drink tea/coffee when you are on vitamin pills since diuretic stuff stops it all being absorbed and you just end up pissing away the fiver you spent on vitamins.

Innit.