is hating on complex drums the in thing?

122 Replies, 13881 Views

sorry i did not use the editz/choppage term but hey....

read this thread that is eventually turning into a hate drummy bits towards
end? i've noticed it more and more...Roll

http://www.torontojungle.com/interactive...66&#620419
Intricate programming is the ONLY thing.
I really think this style of D+B is the closest thing to jazz composition that electronic music has produced/evolved to thus far.
Cool
31|BASSDRIVE|FOKUZ|LEVITATED|OUTSIDER|VAMPIRE www.greenroomdnb.net
when u say choppage, people think of the stuff that only has drums and yes i find most of that stuff really boring as well.
fanu Wrote:when u say choppage, people think of the stuff that only has drums and yes i find most of that stuff really boring as well.

it seems like all things are getting painted with same brush though
Who cares what Canadians think! Teef
what kind of stuff has only drums Baffled
Logos Wrote:Who cares what Canadians think! Teef

i dunno who does?

i'm from quebec :P
esb Wrote:
fanu Wrote:when u say choppage, people think of the stuff that only has drums and yes i find most of that stuff really boring as well.

it seems like all things are getting painted with same brush though

It's the same as the whole 'drum and bass' tag arguement. Everything within the media and internet gets labeled and people argue the toss of whether it's worthy of that label. Same with choppage... fuck it, IMO we're all under the same roof, be it we're labeled with Twisted Individual, Hype, Fracture & Neoptune or Paradox.

This whole arguement and hatrid is the reason I only post of 2 forums now. This and Londondnb.com. Both are generally without labelling, politics, hoting etc.
Logos Wrote:Who cares what Canadians think! Teef

Hahaha
its the same shit that people spout about "clownstep" but from a different angle....

if you dont like something you focus on the negative elements....hence earlier on today on a different noticeboard i called skibadee a crack fiended talentless shitebag.

see? focussing on the negative

Lol

on another note....grooveriders night grace was a load of pacman music blokefest PONE.

completley off topic but hey what can you do....
I think the problem is people are confused by the term edited beats and when you mention it to some people they think editing beats means tracks like accid rain or traks that feature more complexed drum patterns. They forget or are unaware that traks can have edited beats and be rolling or more laid back. Dillinjas older stufff of 96-97 is a perfect example the beats are adited with diifent layers of breaks but there obviously not "all over the place"

people need to come round to the idea that editing beats doesnt mean just one sound were the focal point of the track is the beats...
brick house Wrote:dillinjas older stufff of 96-97 is a perfect example the beats are adited with diifent layers of breaks but there obviously not "all over the place"

drums all over the place......i cant take it! No

dilly.......'promise' and 'silver blade'........ahhhhhh........
fanu Wrote:Dilly.......'Promise' and 'Silver Blade'........ahhhhhh........

Promise is one of my fave tunes of all time Drums
Stunna Wrote:I really think this style of D+B is the closest thing to jazz composition that electronic music has produced/evolved to thus far.
Cool

Why does having something in common with jazz make it a better form of drum and bass? Jazz is awesome, but if you're reasoning for thinking choppage is better than clownstep is "it sounds like jazz," I think you're better off listening to jazz Smile
one thing i know for sure...

i like many different sub-genres of d&b, always have and will continue to
as long as the quality is there. at the end of the day i am a MUSIC
enthusiast first and foremost. hoping others could be as open minded is
a pipedream i guess.

Teef
stunna Wrote:intricate programming is the only thing.
i really think this style of d+b is the closest thing to jazz composition that electronic music has produced/evolved to thus far.
Cool

like trace, photek, goldie Yes

i dont know what you mean?

jazz house?

jazz compostion? exactly what does that entail?

Cool
really guys (and Gal Icon_question ) this whole drum thing is one of the reasons why i left.

Icon_eek
but still hang Oops Roll Oops

Cool
fanu, what are some examples of tracks that are "just about drums"? i'm just curious b/c i basically agree that tunes with that idea tend to be boring.
evergreen Wrote:fanu, what are some examples of tracks that are "just about drums"? i'm just curious b/c i basically agree that tunes with that idea tend to be boring.

jazzdrums compostions :yawn

Hahaha

:P
okay. i read that thread and i don't think it in ANY way even INTIMATES towards a corollary between the following:

a) lots of people HATING on edits (in fact, people just said it wasn't their thing)
b) people hating on edits because it's the "in" thing

i don't know where you'd get that.

either way, it's lame. just go on a tune by tune basis. i would never say something absolute like "such subgenre sucks" because genre distinctions are so broad and amorphous that you're going to get bit in the ass. i say stuff like: "i've never bought a hospital tune" or "twisted individual doesn't do it for me" or "dylan's set that night blew goats"

(whenever possible, it's always tactful and good politics to phrase issues of aesthetic judgement in terms of blowing OR not blowing goats).

and i agree with fanu. some of the so-called edits stuff sounds like gash. it's JUST drums and some kind of droney bassline. it takes the FUNK out of the original samples and it's too stripped down and lacking hooks, melody, SOMETHING TO MAKE IT FUN. it sounds like you're listening to one tune for about 12 bazillion hours and it's booooooooooooring. plus, it kills (as in blows goats) a dancefloor. not kills as in the good kind of killing.

fin.
I love drums.

But I also love melody.

But I also love dissonance.

But I love fun music.

But I also love really moody, depressive music.

But.

I.

Hate.

Clownstep.

Hooray!
evergreen Wrote:fanu, what are some examples of tracks that are "just about drums"? i'm just curious b/c i basically agree that tunes with that idea tend to be boring.

well for example, i dont love every release Dev is putting out on his labels.
he sure has some good shit but theres too much drums-only stuff.
I prefer his Alaska works.
vox Wrote:some of the so-called edits stuff sounds like gash. it's JUST drums and some kind of droney bassline. it takes the FUNK out of the original samples and it's too stripped down and lacking hooks, melody,.

got rid of the fun and fin part but never the less this rules. Blue
fanu Wrote:well for example, i dont love every release Dev is putting out on his labels.
he sure has some good shit but theres too much drums-only stuff.
I prefer his Alaska works.

good call my man....

some of the stuff mr paradox does bores the bejeesus out of me......but i Luuuurve some of the other things he does....

also edity tracks that are done just to proove your fuckin drum master flex suck the big one.....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  a jolly hating thread Statto 137 19,396 4th July 2019, 03:23
Last Post: +ToRMeNT+
  Oedipus Complex... DJ ML 6 1,292 12th May 2010, 00:07
Last Post: DJ ML
  B-Complex? 0=0 5 989 26th October 2007, 16:41
Last Post: Muttley
  Loving and hating ebay at the same time Metric 3 1,088 20th September 2006, 16:58
Last Post: socialengineer
  swiss tabloids hating on walthamstow mad marshal 4 1,273 14th August 2006, 12:57
Last Post: mad marshal