So subverts what have you been reading recently?

923 Replies, 597411 Views

Not that it matters or not that it's a competition, but saw this recently…

How many have ya read ?

http://www.listchallenges.com/kaunismina...-challenge
I dunno man, that list is lacking in giant robot literature.
Code Wrote:Not that it matters or not that it's a competition, but saw this recently…

How many have ya read ?

http://www.listchallenges.com/kaunismina...-challenge

45/100

or rather 44/99
seeing as The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe? is part of The Chronicles of Narnia

[Image: leseratte.gif]
Only 10/100.

Currently reading M. Bulgakov - Short Stories.
Currently rereading all my books on femme.

But as no one here is likely to have heard of any of them, or even know what they're about, I won't bother to make a list.

Statto Wrote:Currently rereading all my books on femme.

But as no one here is likely to have heard of any of them, or even know what they're about, I won't bother to make a list.

On the other hand, without a list nobody can look them up to see if they'd be of interest Wink
Okay, finished "The Wasp Factory" yesterday - really good stuff.

Some great quotes in it Grin

'Two years after I killed Blyth I murdered my young brother Paul, for quite different and more fundamental reasons that I'd disposed of Blyth, and then a year after that I did for my young cousin Emerelda, more or less on a whim. That's my score to date. Three. I haven't killed anybody for years, and don't intend to ever again. It was just a stage I was going through.' Lol

'Christ, I was about to do the Technicolour Yawn all over this girl’s jacket, through the tears and rusting her zips and filling her pockets, and probably send Jamie flying across the room into the beer crates under the speaker stacks with the first awful heave, and here were these two trading absurd biker fantasies'.

… "Tecnicolour Yawn" - now there's a euphemism for barfing I hadn't heard before !! Lol
Roo Stercogburn Wrote:On the other hand, without a list nobody can look them up to see if they'd be of interest Wink

okay, I've just finished The Persistent Desire: A Femme-Butch Reader (ed. Joan Nestle)
and I'm now starting its sort-of-sequel Persistence: All Ways Butch and Femme (ed. Ivan Coyote & Zena Sharman)

look those up Xyxthumbs
Statto Wrote:
Roo Stercogburn Wrote:On the other hand, without a list nobody can look them up to see if they'd be of interest Wink

okay, I've just finished The Persistent Desire: A Femme-Butch Reader (ed. Joan Nestle)
and I'm now starting its sort-of-sequel Persistence: All Ways Butch and Femme (ed. Ivan Coyote & Zena Sharman)

look those up Xyxthumbs

Doing so right now. Got friends who might be interested, or possibly already have read it. Some of the comments underneath are pretty interesting.
Roo Stercogburn Wrote:Doing so right now. Got friends who might be interested, or possibly already have read it. Some of the comments underneath are pretty interesting.

which one do you mean by "it"? I mentioned two books Smile
Clive Thompson - Smarter Than You Think: How Technology is Changing Our Minds for the Better
Hakim Bey - TAZ: Temporary Autonomous Zone
Gary Hamel - What Matters Now: How to Win in a World of Relentless Change, Ferocious Competition, and Unstoppable Innovation

The BBC list: I just read five books. A shame, I know.
Just started "Skippy Dies" by Paul Murray yesterday…

[Image: skippy.jpg]

Only a few pages in, but I'm hooked already Grin
Conversations with Shelby Foote.
[Image: cover_spread_672.png]

http://boakandbailey.com/book-brew-britannia/

It's great (if you're interested in that sort of thing) - it rambles through everything from cask ale being at death's door in the early sixties to the early days of CAMRA to the current madly diverse "craft" scene, using just the right mix of geeky research and meticulous sourcing with chatty enthusiasm. Top stuff. Now waiting for this to arrive:
[Image: books?id=G0vBkgEACAAJ&printsec=frontcove...ExTJjBQtaJ]
which I'm sure is going to be awful in any objective sense, but does look kind of fun.
A few books from a book sale I ravished.
Okay, so...
Get Jiro was silly but fun - wafer thin characterization and fairly perfunctory plotting but with some decent action and loads of random foody shout-outs, eg scenes where people randomly explain how to make the perfect pot au feu. The tone is pretty much set early on by the central character, who's a master sushi chef, decapitating a local yahoo who makes the mistake of ordering california roll...

Then read The Bridge by Iain Banks, which was great. Interesting idea, very touching in places in an atypical-love-story sort of way, quite funny in places in a Glaswegian-Conan-The-Barbarian-takes-on-Hades sort of way.

Now onto The Guga Hunters by Donald S Murray. I first heard of this through the documentary film based on it, and first heard of that through a gig where Dead Rat Orchestra did the soundtrack live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exzVxCxWmWA
It's ostensibly about the annual tradition where a dozen or so men from the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides head off to a remote island in the North Atlantic to hunt young gannets and preserve them for the pot - a tradition that's sufficiently important to the culture of the island that it's included as a specific exception in the European laws protecting wild seabirds. But more generally it's about the people and culture of the island, how they've been shaped by the past and where they might be going in the future. It's great - very interesting, and very evocatively written.
Laurie Penny - Unspeakable Things

a wonderfully hopeful book – and I love the chapter on Love™ Smile
Wave

Four hour work week
Rich dad poor dad
Strength finder 2.0
So many random ebooks (thats not a book)

All life shifting stuff. Smile
dsp Wrote:Wave

Wave
Mark Fisher : "Capitalist Realism. Is There no alternative?"

I bought this book as an E-Book for Kindle. I was curious about E-Books and Devices like kindle. After playing around with it, I have to say it's nice to have one and in certain situations such a device is a great advantage, but generally I prefer the printed book .

Anyways back to the actual book: written by Mark Fisher, who used to run a blok called K-Punk (which I occasionally read and which appears to be semi-retired but not dead yet) gives a very good analysis of the social sphere in the western countries, especially accurate for the UK. He gives several good examples how late capitalism is subtly (and sometimes not so sublty) ruling us all and determing how we are supposed to life and who bennefits from all that. This brilliant analysis of society of late/current capitalism is an enlighting read. However, Mark Fisher analyses the present very well but he in fact doesn't answer the question in the book's title.
Music critic for the Tally Ho
A Biography of Bertrand Russell. A second hand paperback, very cheap but it deals with one of my heroes.
currently rereading Philip Pullman's Dark Material trilogy.
they're better than I remembered so far.
Another cheap paperback, this time a book dealing with sound engineering, published in 1973. Smile

It's all about the vintage tech I tell ya!
The Historical Atlas of the Celtic World. A bit of fun reading.
Harry Paterson - Look Back in Anger: The Miners' Strike in Nottinghamshire 30 Years on
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Look-Back-Anger-...1907869956

Blue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What I Watched on TV recently... firefinga 26 25,591 15th February 2018, 18:46
Last Post: Muttley
  RELEASE Recently on Soundcloud.... Forthcoming DAAT releases firefinga 4 7,221 19th September 2015, 09:42
Last Post: firefinga
  Gaming frenzy, what have you been playing recently? socialengineer 1,165 474,754 29th June 2015, 09:25
Last Post: firefinga
  Has anyone seen A Guy Called Gerald live somewhat recently? Should I go? :) Warbreaker 2 4,441 11th June 2011, 06:58
Last Post: Warbreaker
  Looking for someone who ordered from the Subtle Audio Shop recently - "Vanechop" ? Code 6 6,569 15th April 2011, 07:47
Last Post: Statto