How do you boil rice to make it nice and fluffy!!

42 Replies, 8657 Views

mine always ends up like custard JEDIcrying
You should only add about 1.5-2 inches of water.

Or you could use one of these like every household in Japan:

[Image: 180px-Electronic_rice_cooker_with_scoop.jpg]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_cooker

Can also be used to make bread!
you need to rinse it in water until you get most of the starch off of it before you cook it....stick it in a sieve and run it under the cold tap until the water runs clear....
ken hom says to cover it with water, so that you have the end of the thumb up to the first knuckle's worth over the rice.

then drag a fork through it to get it off the bottom and just leave it.

seems to work too Xyxthumbs
Chin
beckett Wrote:you need to rinse it in water until you get most of the starch off of it before you cook it....stick it in a sieve and run it under the cold tap until the water runs clear....

standard procedure really.

also, don't boil the rice, let it simmer.

once it's ready, drain and run some boiling water over it, then put it back in the pan, bung a paper towel over the top and stick the lid on for 5 or so minutes.

fluffy rice a la safety!
Good advice here - but if it ends up like custard you are cooking it way too long. IMO the packet instructions usually over-do the timing. Basmati shouldn't take longer than about 10 minutes - also remember, just like most things (pasta, noodles etc) , it is STILL COOKING after you take it out of the pan (unless you rinse it in cold water afterwards). So if you leave it sitting there for 5 minutes it will be like leaving it in the boiling water for about 3.

Stacks
[Image: banner2_590.jpg]
[Image: swbanner.gif]
[Image: BB_banner3.gif]
But seriously - use a rice cooker. Theyre cheap and easy to use, and most importantly, youll never have badly cooked rice again.
rice cookers Falcon

cleaning them Neutral
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
droid Wrote:But seriously - use a rice cooker. Theyre cheap and easy to use, and most importantly, youll never have badly cooked rice again.

i agree
Rice varies soooo much I don't think there is a hard and fast rule. If you are unsure read the packet, but buy 1 brand find out how to cook it properly and stick to it.
Like beckett says, its best to wash before cooking it, and never stir rice while its cooking, even with risotto you shouldn't stir rather shake the pan.
some good advice here
basmati - rinse in cold water to remove starch. melt a small amount of butter in your pan, let it cool, add rice and coat it with the melted butter. add a tiny bit of saffron. 1.5x cold water, bring to the boil, turn down the heat and whack on the lid. let it simmer till most of the water is boiled away - sorted. deliciously fluffy tasty buttery fragrant rice.

badman

also remember rice kinda carries on cooking itself in its own heat for a time after you've taken it off the hob and sieved it up
UFO_over_easy Wrote:badman

surely you mean basman?

Lol
Neutral

racist
call me a philistine / lazy bastard, but i eat so much more rice since these have been around:

[Image: RRWGB.jpg]
mattrick Wrote:call me a philistine / lazy bastard, but i eat so much more rice since these have been around:

[Image: RRWGB.jpg]

That looks like my kinda way Hahaha
I admit to being a lazy chef these days. But I find Uncle Ben's has the consistency of Tic Tacs.
you can also get little microwave rice cooker's which are quite cheep, dunno if they still sell em thou? all u had to do was put the rice in this tuppleware container thingy (after rinsing it) and stick it in the microwave with some water for about 10 - 15 mins, the ken hom technique is also quite good, it's the way my dads cooked rice ever since he moved to this country (but i think my grandma told him not ken hom) dads rice is always perfect, althou we do have some crazy rice cooker that looks like a spaceship at the moment Icon_eek
"knowing is not enough, we must apply.
willing is not enough, we must do."
Bruce Lee
clinton Wrote:Rice varies soooo much I don't think there is a hard and fast rule.
Pretty much everyone I know who can cook rice says approximately the same thing - they tried a whole bunch of different methods that were advertised as 'foolproof' and none of them worked until they found one method that did. That one method is different for all of them. Sarcastic

I think like with a lot of cooking there are loads of variables that a method can't really take account of, so which method works for you depends on what sort of rice you use, what sort of pans you have, what you consider to be a 'high heat' or a 'low heat' or whatever...

I do it by washing the rice a few times (pour water over it, pour it off again, repeat) then sticking it in a pan, covering it with one knuckle joint of water (index finger, but I have tiny hands) and a bit of salt (grimmest thing ever - rice where you've forgotten to put salt in) and then boiling it until the water level comes down to the level of the rice, at which point you put a lid on it and put it over the lowest heat you can for ten minutes.

Quote:Like beckett says, its best to wash before cooking it, and never stir rice while its cooking, even with risotto you shouldn't stir rather shake the pan.
I didn't know that was the case for risotto.

I discovered risotto with proper arborio rice the other day - did a butternut squash and sage one. I've always associated risotto with that sort of stodgy undifferentiated mush cooked up with standard long grain rice that you end up making when you're a student, but the difference in doing one properly with white wine and aborio...
Homerdrool
i always use this method... Let the water absorb, leaving no excess. Kinda the same as when cook rice and pizzle http://www.deliaonline.com/cookery-schoo...,1,AR.html

Don't fuck with delia! she comes thru every time.
i watched a bit of delia with my dinner last night because I have no life but anyway it was shocking

fair enough, teach novices and help people with no free time to cook, but ready chopped carrot and swede and instant mashed potato? how hard is it to chop a carrot or boil a potato ffs... she's still really boring as well.
ufo_over_easy Wrote:basmati - rinse in cold water to remove starch. melt a small amount of butter in your pan, let it cool, add rice and coat it with the melted butter. add a tiny bit of saffron. 1.5x cold water, bring to the boil, turn down the heat and whack on the lid. let it simmer till most of the water is boiled away - sorted. deliciously fluffy tasty buttery fragrant rice.

badman

also remember rice kinda carries on cooking itself in its own heat for a time after you've taken it off the hob and sieved it up

best advice yet. Xyxthumbs

cardomom pods are good with this too.
UFO_over_easy Wrote:i watched a bit of delia with my dinner last night because I have no life but anyway it was shocking

fair enough, teach novices and help people with no free time to cook, but ready chopped carrot and swede and instant mashed potato? how hard is it to chop a carrot or boil a potato ffs... she's still really boring as well.

I bought the book (half price) and ended up reverse engineering some of the recipes. It's easier to chop a fresh mango than to go to M&S specifically for the jarred variety. It's actually not a bad book if you avoid the gimmickiness of it - i mean, do we really need a 'cheat's' Spaghetti Bolognese?

Stacks
[Image: banner2_590.jpg]
[Image: swbanner.gif]
[Image: BB_banner3.gif]
macc Wrote:ken hom says to cover it with water, so that you have the end of the thumb up to the first knuckle's worth over the rice.

then drag a fork through it to get it off the bottom and just leave it.

seems to work too Xyxthumbs

yep thats how i do it, the secret is to leave it once boiled at let it cook
Fushara

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The rice with human genes. Annastay 30 16,060 11th March 2011, 14:29
Last Post: pressure
  Attn: All Make-Believe Labels, (this isn't nice, be warned) Arcae 204 52,984 16th March 2009, 01:41
Last Post: Fada
  japanese rice crackers! dj hades 3 886 14th January 2009, 00:02
Last Post: Statto
  Rice made with human genes: GM menace or saviour Ashes 4 2,570 10th June 2007, 12:50
Last Post: Ashes
  NON/Boyd Rice littleNemo 12 2,422 24th April 2007, 02:18
Last Post: pacific