Sonic Youth - The Diamond Sea

16 Replies, 9929 Views

originally released on the lp washing machine but there's about three diffrent versions the 25min one is beautiful,

the best sonic youth track? i've been obsessing over this song for about a week now it's soooooo beautiful!

what are the subverts favourite SY tracks?
"knowing is not enough, we must apply.
willing is not enough, we must do."
Bruce Lee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_52b-wAs...re=related this looks like another diffrent edited version! at least there audio for those who have'nt heard but as i said the 25min version is the one!!!
Bruce Lee
Hey Joni without a doubt for me.
clinton Wrote:hey joni without a doubt for me.

there are just too many, but hey joni is among the best, no doubt. tune out the past and just say yes! Falcon
teenage riot

Lovesmilie
i'm also partial to Mildred Pearce.
Too hard to choose just one.

Inhuman
Society Is a Hole
Hey Joni
Silver Rocket
Mote
Into the Groove(y)
Kontra Wrote:Mote

Lovesmilie this is one of my SY favourites aswell
Bruce Lee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45_Xh8dUX1U

"I just wanna rock" Hahaha
this reminded me that i downloaded a bootleg sy concert and it had almost no vocals at all but a lot of strange guitar effects. at the time i dismissed it, but i bet i would like it a lot now. got to dust off the old external drive of music and see if i kept it...
Grin
yay dead threads!
what different versions of Diamond Sea? and where? i'd like to hear them.

SY's cover of madonna - get into the groove was the first 45 I ever bought. they re-released the Ciccone Youth album a few years back.

SYR 1-3 are prob my fav releases by them,

I saw them last year for the first time (after 14 years) @ a free show. it wasn't as clangorous as I had imagined it to be.
SY played for 90 min or 2 hours (I cant remember) and still weren't ready to quit, so they (whoever was hosting the event) had to kill the sound to end their show for the scheduled fireworks display to commence.
fuck fireworks.
the diamond sea is one of my fav`s too. i like the version of the washing machine record most.
others are:
schizophrenia

Expressway To Yr. Skull

and so on...

i think it`s hard to name a favourite sy song or even an album.

my top 3:
sister
daydream nation
washing machine
lament Wrote:i think it`s hard to name a favourite sy song or even an album.

Cross the Breeze on Daydream Nation

Xyxthumbs
and what sy record you don`t like? is there one?

i think my would be nyc ghost and flowers (except the first track) or experimental jet set, trash and no star

did you check out the new one "Simon Werner A Disparu" (Soundtrack). it`s really great.
lament Wrote:and what sy record you don`t like? is there one?

I don't know the later stuff well enough to say really
probably one of those anyway Wink
lament Wrote:and what sy record you don`t like? is there one?

i think my would be nyc ghost and flowers (except the first track) or experimental jet set, trash and no star

11 years ago I probably would have said Goodbye 20th Century. Now, I really don't know.
I'm not sure I have a favorite SY album actually. The Diamond Sea is a favorite of mine, but I wouldn't necessarily say Washing Machines is. I kind of take it track-per-track.

since their early syr stuff I've only really heard NYC, The Eternal [at the concert] and Rather Ripped.

Made in USA is a good one though.

it bugs me on a profound level that they're capable of top-notch popular-grade rock tunes but they're generally worshipped for their noise wank :P "kill yr idols" is like the best of both worlds, though.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sonic Youth? 8bits 15 6,109 5th August 2023, 04:40
Last Post: +ToRMeNT+
  RELEASE Youth Culture CD Series - Youth Culture 4 Muttley 2 2,233 23rd April 2019, 16:49
Last Post: Muttley
  [TV] "Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank" DJ ML 3 2,283 21st August 2015, 18:50
Last Post: Muttley
  [Pinecone Moonshine 036] Maff Stenning - The North Sea Intimate InfiniteSloth 12 5,365 21st April 2015, 06:29
Last Post: InfiniteSloth
  must see vid of Saint Etienne - The Sea (PFM Remix) synced to, well, the sea! HiddenSound 11 5,435 1st May 2014, 21:33
Last Post: DJ ML