Create an account

Poll: Do you think of the sound or the process first?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The sound you nitwit!
0%
0 0%
The process, I'm a geek you see.
0%
0 0%
Both, it's science AND art, numnuts!
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Twistage/science

Do you always think of the sound you want first, and then work out how to get it, or do you sometimes think, "oh, I know, a reverse reverb delay, with gradually increasing distortion on the delay, I wonder what that would sound like!"

Well, do ya?

Massiveredgrin

actually I don't think any of those things, I just try loadsa things and see if they work, then trying things out sparks off ideas and stuff like that...

sometimes I think of processes to do with sounds though, like cutting out the syllable from a melody and doin somethin with the sound and other stuff...

32(.
Lets make d+b special for 2009!

No holds barred MoFo!

Push your equipment/software to the limits and beyond! Make it do things it isn't supposed to!

macc Wrote:push your equipment/software to the limits and beyond! make it do things it isn't supposed to!

from an interview in 1998...

optical Wrote:we're constantly pushing our equipment to the limit, so much so that the desk breaks quite a lot and speakers are always blowing up."

Xyxthumbs

I always push my equipment to the limits and use them for things they are not supposed to be used for:

cables: Whip and Hangswing

synth: Spitroast

32(.

I always think about the process 1st.That's why my trax have my trademark sound on them.

I learnt a long time ago that with a bit of effort you can take a shit sounded synth/bass/vocal/drum/loop etc... & make it into something completely different & useable with a bit of effort.

So now I always think "How can I change this sound I've just sampled from this synth & turn it into something else?"

That's when the fun begins
'There's no such thing as selling out just buying in'

Chuck D

statto Wrote:
macc Wrote:push your equipment/software to the limits and beyond! make it do things it isn't supposed to!

from an interview in 1998...

optical Wrote:we're constantly pushing our equipment to the limit, so much so that the desk breaks quite a lot and speakers are always blowing up."

Xyxthumbs

that's why optical was one of the best engineers ever in d&b,until he lost his hearing Icon_cry
'There's no such thing as selling out just buying in'

Chuck D

a lot of kool stuff happens by accident... i put a twist on some fxb or delay on a pitched-down sample and all of a sudden it's fucking huge... or a thousand other little things

...shit blows up anyway, i fried two tape machines and a drum machine in the past year... a third tape machine is on the out *sigh* why can't they make shit that lasts :argh: Grin

Yeah its all about pushing limits... both of yourself and your equipment. Its on the fine line between order and chaos thats where the interesting shit is.

The wicked thing about producing is, once you know the rules, you can break them! Then you can make up some more rules, and break them again!

Dance music came from people mis-using equpiment - like the detroit kids getting hold of 303's and drum machines that were designed just for backing musicians, making a whole new art using machines outside of their designers intentions. Cool

Early jungle/hardcore is also a prime example of people pushing equipment and sounds in new ways.
Twisted

ALPHA OMEGA Wrote:That's why Optical was one of the best engineers ever in D&B,until he lost his hearing Icon_cry

Yeah I read that in an interview a while ago... Tinnitus after blowing a tweeter - Thats fucked if its permanenly damaged his hearing.

normally just trying out loads of stuff on one particular sample twisting and changing it until all of a sudden something clicks . Then maybe that will spark a new idea .... or the particular technique i've just discovered can be reapplied to something else and then that sounds really mad and that will spark a new idea .....and it just goes on and on and on!!!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Twistage Logos 21 1,852 29th November 2004, 13:24
Last Post: markgabba

Forum software by © MyBB Theme © iAndrew 2016