My debut ambient EP: out now on the Audio Gourmet netlabel!

41 Replies, 12881 Views

AGN005 - Foci's Left - Spillage EP - June 2010

[Image: 3585251493-1.jpg]

Harry Towell Wrote:The next artist to be welcomed to the Audio Gourmet netlabel roster is Foci's Left, the production pseudonym of Muttley who is renowned for his SubVersion blog. This E.P features an 'A' and 'B' side of ambient production works he has crafted over the last three years, with remixes from a selection of established artists.

The SubVersion blog has amassed a huge amount of posts since May 2009 and throughout his catalog of well thought out and assembled mix tapes, Muttley has made many an acquaintance in the ambient community. In addition to these mixes, the blog also brings views of science and politics. You can visit here to learn more: http://www.subvertcentral.com and http://www.subvertcentral.blogspot.com

For his debut release as Foci's Left, the EP opens with 'Regurgitated Impulses', an arrangement of ambient synth chords that changes direction regularly over its short duration. The 'B' side is a spacey synth sample arrangement, further exploring textures that the artist assembled to invoke peace within its listeners. Both tracks arose from emotional storms. Of course, this was a tough time but it renewed the closeness of his family as a strong unit.

To help cement his debut EP together, Muttley has selected three established artists to remix the opening track 'Regurgitated Impulses'. First up, a two minute interpretation from the Install recordings label curator David Tagg. This piece spans a restful audio palette that says a lot in such a short space of time and is a testament to why David is so highly revered in the scene. The next artist to rework the opening piece is Darren Harper, who recently released the 'Momentary' EP on this very label. Darren has reworked sections of 'Regurgitated Impulses' into linear drone passages that are so typical of his talented approach to ambient music production. Finally, the EP draws to a close with a stormy drone remix from Spheruleus that adds an extra dimension with the use of some of his trademark field recordings.

Audio Gourmet wish Foci's Left every success in whatever ventures he explores in the future. With extra thanks to the talented artists providing remix duties.

2014 edit: Audio Gourmet have a new website - http://www.audiogourmet.net, or get it from http://www.archive.org for free.

Any feedback much appreciated. Smile

Good thoughts
Muttley
Congrats Muttley, had a listen last night and it sounded good. Just grabbed the Spheruleus remix now as well.
DIB Wrote:Congrats Muttley, had a listen last night and it sounded good. Just grabbed the Spheruleus remix now as well.

Thanks DIB, means a lot coming from you. Macc done a great job mastering "Eternal Sands".
Grin

Nice one, will get on this a.s.a.p
congrats muttley!

on the d/l
Audio Gourmet Xyxthumbs

going to check this in a bit Icon_yippee
Euphony Wrote:Grin

Nice one, will get on this a.s.a.p

Cheers Mutley-ani1

Each AGN instalment is not a second longer than 15 minutes, so you're guaranteed a fast download. This also means if you don't like it, deletion is like lightning.
Muttley Wrote:deletion is like lightning.

Not gonna happen Xyxthumbs

Smile
Euphony Wrote:
Muttley Wrote:deletion is like lightning.

Not gonna happen Xyxthumbs

Smile

That's a great compliment. Kisskiss

Do you have a favourite? Wave
The David Tagg remix is good, but Eternal sands is my fave Cool ..lovely soundscapes.
Pretty damn nice. Thanks for introducing the label as well Xyxthumbs

Into the ambient playlist they go.
On the listen now. Smile Pretty excited about this!

edit:

Opening tune is deep. Repetition used in an amazing manner, amazing soundscape, non-static, unexpected... TOO SHORT! But that was great.

Eternal Sands begins with a deep dark sound, with pretty melodic textures on top. What a trip this one! Somehow the name is very fitting. I love the unease you create with you chords - gorgeous and yet not everything is obviously well. Again short, but an intensive journey.

David Tagg's remix of Regurgitated Impulses is pretty, and continues the album nicely - my only irk is the fact that your unique chord changes have been changed into something a bit too easy. But in this context it doesn't bother me... Beautiful! Amazing soundscapes in this one too.

Darren Harper's remix is eerie and distant. Definitely takes me places. Like hovering in a dream on top of a warm sandy landscape, unable to move anywhere except where your subconscious takes you.

The sound in the background of Spheruleus' mix reminds me of Biosphere's Substrata (the melodical / droney stuff on top however doesn't). This one doesn't quite succeed to create its own place for me. It has potential but it's lost in the staticity of the soundscape. Not the say it isn't pretty overall, just doesn't do it for me personally.

A very refreshing EP you have here. Thank you for sharing it for free! Great stuff. Smiley
on the download, i'll let you know what i think when i get a proper chance to listen Grin well done on the release.
cordani Wrote:congrats muttley!

on the d/l

Ace Dan Rainbow
TVG Wrote:Audio Gourmet Xyxthumbs

For those unaware, the AGN owner Harry Towell has an excellent blog for ambient music reviews, mixes and release news of his aliases, including Spheruleus. To read more, click: http://www.audiogourmet.blogspot.com

TVG Wrote:going to check this in a bit Icon_yippee

Feedback welcome [Image: tea.gif]
Euphony Wrote:The David Tagg remix is good, but Eternal sands is my fave Cool ..lovely soundscapes.

I'm a technological caveman with Cubase, so there's no FX or processing, but I wanted to keep it quite clean, so MIDI tracks combined with synth tweaks wrapped it up. [Image: meditate.gif]
Congrats!! Smile
Wilshy Wrote:Pretty damn nice. Thanks for introducing the label as well Xyxthumbs

Into the ambient playlist they go.

[Image: lisa.gif]

No problem Wilshy. I'll edit in mixtapes that include the tracks later. "Eternal Sands" was made especially with that named set in mind. So it'll present another tangent.
Gonna check this. Nice to see you get yours mate Smile
For News/Audio/Bookings/Videos www.djtrax.wordpress.com
I had a longer reply typed for this but SC logged me out when submitting it Icon_sad
Ok, from what I can recall...

SpeaK Wrote:On the listen now. Smile Pretty excited about this!

Thanks so much for sharing your perspectives Grin

SpeaK Wrote:Opening tune is deep. Repetition used in an amazing manner, amazing soundscape, non-static, unexpected... TOO SHORT! But that was great.

I discussed with a friend if it was best leaving it as it was, and I concluded I didn't want to smudge the simplicity by extending it. The source was somewhat unconventional and polarised from ambience: pads extracted from a 155BPM drum & bass work, which I'll probably never finish as I painstakingly edited in all the breaks and layers manually.

SpeaK Wrote:Eternal Sands begins with a deep dark sound, with pretty melodic textures on top. What a trip this one! Somehow the name is very fitting. I love the unease you create with your chords - gorgeous and yet not everything is obviously well. Again short, but an intensive journey.

"Eternal Sands", as mentioned was designed for a set of the same name. It was originally longer, but I edited it down to not make it boring, or overstretch the impact of the chords interweaving together. Ruggedly inflected, if you will.

SpeaK Wrote:David Tagg's remix of Regurgitated Impulses is pretty, and continues the album nicely - my only irk is the fact that your unique chord changes have been changed into something a bit too easy. But in this context it doesn't bother me... Beautiful! Amazing soundscapes in this one too.

I love the prescience David accumulates with his drones. I was especially impressed by his latest LP "Pentecost". Two minutes remained for him to present his own implications and preferences as a two minute miniature. I understand you being irked by the flattening of dynamics, but for me it's the best remix on the EP, if not the choice cut of the entirety.

SpeaK Wrote:Darren Harper's remix is eerie and distant. Definitely takes me places. Like hovering in a dream on top of a warm sandy landscape, unable to move anywhere except where your subconscious takes you.

That's a great description. The EP title was partly influenced by Darren and Spheruleus' speed at getting the remixes done, as well as identifying that my bread and butter means of expression - writing - was being spilled past my normal boundaries - by producing. It also takes into account my difficulties with mental health, and the methods and mindstate in which I attempt healing cathartically.

SpeaK Wrote:The sound in the background of Spheruleus' mix reminds me of Biosphere's Substrata (the melodical / droney stuff on top however doesn't). This one doesn't quite succeed to create its own place for me. It has potential but it's lost in the staticity of the soundscape. Not the say it isn't pretty overall, just doesn't do it for me personally.

Fair enough. I have a collaboration with Dave at the excellent Low Light Mixes blog which samples this track as an interlude - that should see the light of day this year. The remix I'm told was based on granular synthesis modification, where samples of the original were spat out, therein Spheruleus smoothed them into shape. For further examples and a greater cross-contextual base of his work, check out "Frozen Quarters" on Under The Spire, or later in 2010, his LP on Hibernate Recordings.

SpeaK Wrote:A very refreshing EP you have here. Thank you for sharing it for free! Great stuff. Smiley

My pleasure, and an honour to have it out there on such a label.
on the download!

will check later Wink
nice listen, shame most the tracks are only around 2 and a half minutes each.. for ambient tracks especially i think longer tracks are usually better just so it gives the listener time to immerse themselves in the soundscapes..

nice vibes all the same though Grin
Annastay Wrote:Congrats!! Smile

Hugs
davetrax Wrote:Gonna check this. Nice to see you get yours mate Smile

[Image: em82.gif] Dave!
silent.wolf Wrote:on the download!

will check later Wink

[Image: happywave.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RELEASE Soul Intent's Debut album out in May firefinga 1 3,177 10th April 2017, 15:17
Last Post: strike
  Foci's Left - Grumpy Love LP (my debut album - OUT NOW) Muttley 44 23,036 6th January 2017, 02:48
Last Post: Muttley
  28th July, 'Feature 5' EP on the Altered Echo Project Netlabel Roo Stercogburn 7 3,784 29th July 2015, 11:56
Last Post: Roo Stercogburn
  John Carpenter Debut solo LP "Lost Themes" firefinga 4 3,379 12th February 2015, 23:24
Last Post: firefinga
  Jungletrain Recordings debut release "Conductors Volume 1" out now!!! jungletrain 6 2,920 24th July 2013, 08:51
Last Post: Euphony