New stereo equipment

7 Replies, 10122 Views

It's about time I bought myself a new stereo. I've been playing CDs through my computer for god knows how long and it's finally beginning to get on my tits. Listening to music means that unless it's vinyl I have to turn the computer on, which isn't ideal as I get distracted.

So, what I need to do is start again. I would like some new speakers. A decent quality amp. And a CD player. I will then have enough to start off with. I'm not looking to spend thousands (obviously I'd love to), my budget is between seven and eight hundred quid. I'm happy to buy second hand.

I know very little about this stuff and suspect doing all the research may take a while. Can any of you suggest where I should start, what gear you would recommend and what things I need to look for/avoid?

Thanks very much.

Michael Knight

(this is a serious post btw, I'm just pissing about with the Michael Knight thing...)
What you need to do is start again. You should get some new speakers and a decent quality amp, also a CD player. You should then have enough to start off with. You shouldnt look to spend thousands (I know youd love to), but you should budget between seven and eight hundred quid. Second hand might suit you too.
Cheers, I shall take your advice Lol
Lol It was tailor made for your situation.

For real, good luck on finding your equipment. Try some yard sales or things like that, good bargains to be had. I once picked up 6 relatively new Kenwood speakers to complete my surround sound for 15 quid!
You got room for floor standing speakers?

With that budget you could put together a serious system with carefully chosen second hand seperates.. as for particulars it becomes subjective.

I am a Tannoy man when it comes to speakers, and they generally are happy with some decent Japanese amplification.. I'd end up with a dated looking system that would sound bang on... For example Tannoy 638 floorstanders and a Technics SU A900 Mk2 amp. Neighbours wouldn't be keen though.
yeah it's got to be seperates. I love the sound of old Wharfedale speakers. Currently rocking an old Rotel amp which is pretty solid.
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
MetaLX Wrote:Lol It was tailor made for your situation

I can see Hahaha

Quote:For real, good luck on finding your equipment. Try some yard sales or things like that, good bargains to be had. I once picked up 6 relatively new Kenwood speakers to complete my surround sound for 15 quid!

Hmmm. Not sure I have the patience for all that malarky. I'd rather just sit on my arse and order what I can find from the sofa. I may venture to the front door if I hear the postie arriving Lol
rondema Wrote:You got room for floor standing speakers?

Aye, but to be honest I'd rather avoid them. I want something small and discreet enough to not take over the room. Plus my plants would get upset if I suddenly lumped some big wooden speakers next to them, they're very sensitive creatures.

Quote:With that budget you could put together a serious system with carefully chosen second hand seperates.. as for particulars it becomes subjective.

I am a Tannoy man when it comes to speakers, and they generally are happy with some decent Japanese amplification.. I'd end up with a dated looking system that would sound bang on... For example Tannoy 638 floorstanders and a Technics SU A900 Mk2 amp. Neighbours wouldn't be keen though.

Glad to hear I can put something good together with the budget I have. Just had a look at the Technics amp you suggested, it's fucking huge! Hahaha I think something more compact will be needed Lol

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Currently on your stereo Statto 3,465 1,568,613 12th March 2024, 10:16
Last Post: Statto
  Nice Klute interview at Equipment Manufactorer Elektron's site firefinga 0 2,282 18th May 2015, 10:39
Last Post: firefinga
  DJ Equipment Producer Vestax Bankrupt firefinga 1 3,365 14th December 2014, 20:06
Last Post: +ToRMeNT+
  Look at al this equipment being sent into Mexico from the US HiddenSound 2 3,023 29th January 2012, 12:01
Last Post: Maff
  Get Your Head Down (something for your stereo) grappa 15 21,714 19th January 2010, 22:25
Last Post: mono_sono