Proto Techstep beats ....

13 Replies, 8134 Views

I have this personal, self indulgent theory that Einstürzende Neubauten's "Yu Gong - Futter Mein Ego" was the one of the first techstep tunes ever. ha.

or at least with one of the first proto-techtep / 2step dnb breaks of sorts. heh. at least in my (indulgent) mind of course.

this theory was formulated during a latenite radio mix session in my radio days, when I randomly dropped "Yu Gong" in the mix, and then followed that with Photek's "Ni-Ten-Ichi-Ryu" if I do recall. maybe it was lack of sleep, but, it was the only time i mixed Neubauten in a dnb set. I can't recall the tune I played before Neubauten tho. hmm..

either way, a brief revelation during the mix. they happen right?

any other personal theories & examples on proto-techstep beats?

if so, drop em!
I can offer proto-techno beats...

Twothumbs

edit: defunct youtube link. I wonder what it was Chin
hmm.

other personal self indulgent theories on techstep:

lol

back then, in the early Tech Itch days, i had these silly fantasies that peeps like Mark Caro were Whitehouse fans or something, or full on industrial heads. from certain vantage points, techstep can be heard from an industrial sounding, electronic music exploration as well, no?

I remember listening to Tech Itch back in the day and thinking... "Whitehouse?"

tsk tsk..the things I once thought. ha. Roll
Never listened to Neubauten really but you are right, that sounds quite Techstepp-y!
Music critic for the Tally Ho
I've got some jungle remixes of Einstürzende Neubauten. Will have to upload.
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
The word proto- gets me excited.
MetaLX Wrote:The word proto- gets me excited.

okay, here's some proto-drumfunk

Drums
That was cool!!! You got any more?
MetaLX Wrote:That was cool!!! You got any more?

not in that sort of style, no

Fauxpas
It was definitively proto then! Found that album on Amazon Xyxthumbs Wave

Chin  Jack Dangers, pre-Meat Beat Manifesto. Drones, drum machines, distorted snare, with a bit of funk?
Front Line Assembly, 1986

techstep structure intact here.

(24th April 2015, 08:17)Statto Wrote:
MetaLX Wrote:The word proto- gets me excited.

okay, here's some proto-drumfunk

Drums

Yes
(8th September 2022, 01:50)+ToRMeNT+ Wrote: Chin  Jack Dangers, pre-Meat Beat Manifesto. Drones, drum machines, distorted snare, with a bit of funk?

Dance

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Special Forces aka Photek - Proto Dubstep Track "Stealth" firefinga 3 2,151 25th July 2019, 01:13
Last Post: esb
  HIPSTER HOUSE MIX FROM THE GUY WHO GAVE PROTO J THE AMEN DOCUMENTARY FOOTAGE Carbine 1 2,303 18th November 2017, 09:04
Last Post: Muttley
  90s Techstep Name Generator Slothrop 9 6,571 6th January 2017, 23:37
Last Post: Muttley
  Optical - Unreleased Techstep Track from 1997 Rothko 21 11,832 23rd August 2013, 10:29
Last Post: Ornette
  Distorted Minds - Hard Beats Inc. 002 Now that's TECHSTEP!!! Soothsayer Recordings 26 10,145 18th July 2011, 17:07
Last Post: Statto