come on then producers.....WHAT D'YA WANNA KNOW??

55 Replies, 10212 Views

ask me and i shall endevour to spread my wisdom...........

tip 1:NEVER use Recycle to cut yer beats.......its lazy and not clever.

tip 2:Layer basslines for more texture.

tip 3:listen to lots of outside music, not just what you are making.

tip 4:never ever copy someone elses style.ITS NOT BIG AND ITS NOT CLEVER.

tip 5:dont spend too long on a tune, you'll inevitably destroy it.
I will continue to argue that using recycle is absolutely fine, so long as you tune the slice points yourself. In doing that there is NO difference to doing it any other manual way, in soundforge or wherever.......

If you just use recycles auto-detected slice points then I concurr - u are being lazy and u be a foooool suckah! :mrt
Blue Wrote:tip 5:dont spend too long on a tune, you'll inevitably destroy it.

I agree that it's not good to work on a track continiously for a long time, but I think it's OK to put an idea aside and to continue to work on it after a break when you know how to properly finish it. A good idea will always get you back into the original mood.
littleNemo Wrote:
Blue Wrote:tip 5:dont spend too long on a tune, you'll inevitably destroy it.

I agree that it's not good to work on a track continiously for a long time, but I think it's OK to put an idea aside and to continue to work on it after a break when you know how to properly finish it. A good idea will always get you back into the original mood.

sometimes and sometimes not........

alot of my ideas get put away forever when i "rest them", however the unfinished idea usually will then pop up in my next tune anyway......
another tip.........

dont abuse Eq
subtractive is generally better than additive...........
I always spend to long on tracks coz i am never happy with them Icon_sad

Perfectionism - Curse or Gift ?? Baffled
Altered Ego Wrote:I always spend to long on tracks coz i am never happy with them Icon_sad

Perfectionism - Curse or Gift ?? Baffled

its an artists curse.
I read an interview in which wookie said the same thing, but I don't think I understand properly. For example, you could get a sine bass, and a bass from some synth, and you mix them together? I assume that would cause frequency fuck ups and you'd have to tweak each source until they fit together - thus creating some textured bass - is that the right idea?

also, why is bass so important? who cares whether it can go down to 40hz or 30hz. At the end of the day, a tune is a tune, whether the bass is seismic, or not that seismic... right?

In some tunes I've done, esp with friends, we'll have the beats and samples, and then we add bass-lines and it just screws the whole fucking thing up - the tune becomes about the bass and nothing else - man I have so much to learn!

32(.

RhythmicNature
RhythmicNature Wrote:I read an interview in which wookie said the same thing, but I don't think I understand properly. For example, you could get a sine bass, and a bass from some synth, and you mix them together? I assume that would cause frequency fuck ups and you'd have to tweak each source until they fit together - thus creating some textured bass - is that the right idea?

also, why is bass so important? who cares whether it can go down to 40hz or 30hz. At the end of the day, a tune is a tune, whether the bass is seismic, or not that seismic... right?

In some tunes I've done, esp with friends, we'll have the beats and samples, and then we add bass-lines and it just screws the whole fucking thing up - the tune becomes about the bass and nothing else - man I have so much to learn!

32(.

RhythmicNature

layered bass is the fucking key to a well rounded textured bass. I do it everytime without fail.

remember be subtle. Get the hook or phrase going and then gently add your herbs and spices, too many and you get a brown sticky mess!!
nice, gonna be trying some of this shit out soon!

32(.

RhythmicNature
Lets make d+b special for 2009!
ok, question.......

how do you get an emu esi4000 in your setup, what do you need if all you have is the sampler and computer?
SETI Wrote:ok, question.......

how do you get an emu esi4000 in your setup, what do you need if all you have is the sampler and computer?

1) Install a software capable of playing midi. Go for Cubase or Logic, for example.

2) U need a soundcard capable of playing midi. It has to have at least one pair of midi out/in ports. Connect the midi out of your comp to the midi in of ya EMU. Connect the midi out of your EMU to the midi in of ya comp.

3) Experiment!
thank you, thank you, very much appreciated!

-that sounds like a good blueprint...

i don't even need fx on the sampler because i reckon i'll use outboard fx...
SETI Wrote:thank you, thank you, very much appreciated!

-that sounds like a good blueprint...

i don't even need fx on the sampler because i reckon i'll use outboard fx...

It never hurts to have FX in the sampler....but outboard ones are better usually. But I suggest u get familiar with the sampler's ones first!!!
but my esi4000 doesn't have any fx in the slot...thats one of the many xtras i need to get it running on all cylinders unfortunately
SETI Wrote:but my esi4000 doesn't have any fx in the slot...thats one of the many xtras i need to get it running on all cylinders unfortunately

I don't have any EMU, at least not yet, so don't take me as the most authoritative person to say this, but if u dont have it, I suggest u spend the money on outboard FX. They are always better than sampler-internal FX.
how do you make that stuttering beat that is so fast that it sounds almost grindy and seems to rise in bitch... or is it how far apart the beats are placed?

ermm I'm not making myself very clear am I... the best example I can think of is in 'getting closer' by boymerang (on leaf) just before the full vocal drops in again near the end of the tune.

Stacks
[Image: banner2_590.jpg]
[Image: swbanner.gif]
[Image: BB_banner3.gif]
Stacks Wrote:how do you make that stuttering beat that is so fast that it sounds almost grindy and seems to rise in bitch... or is it how far apart the beats are placed?

ermm I'm not making myself very clear am I... the best example I can think of is in 'getting closer' by boymerang (on leaf) just before the full vocal drops in again near the end of the tune.

Stacks

i think i know what you mean.. the effect thats used in pretty much every autechre/aphex twin/squarepusher tune?

i think its basically like you said, playing the same little loop of the sample over and over, which is how timestretching works..

if you get hold of ni kontakt, set it to low quality timestretching and fiddle about sweeping the stretch amount/grain size you can get some nice sounds like that. also ohmforce henatohm does something similair but doesnt sound as good.
Stacks Wrote:how do you make that stuttering beat that is so fast that it sounds almost grindy and seems to rise in bitch...Stacks

What's this about a rising bitch Roll
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
ermm yes.. that would be 'pitch'. oops Hahaha

Stacks
[Image: banner2_590.jpg]
[Image: swbanner.gif]
[Image: BB_banner3.gif]
i've given up on the emu for the time being, it's just too easy with all software now... no practical reason to go thru the trouble
what I want to know is did you use more than one time signature in Razorblade - System because it does funny things when I'm mixing it. In the sense that it appears to go out of time even though it's at the right tempo..
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
What I want to know is, even though I have a clear idea what I want to do before I sit down in front of the machine, how come I end up writing a load of bolloxs that has nothing to do with my original idea?

On another note, any tips on bringing that dubby feel into a tune?
Tza Wrote:On another note, any tips on bringing that dubby feel into a tune?

Spring reverb. Tape delay, or some kind of LFO pitch-modulated delay. Noise beds: hi pass them above 800hz or higher so they don't step on your bass line and kick drums. Deep, spectrally simple bass (sine waves, triangle waves). Split-time drum elements. Slightly slower tempos. Maybe less emphasis on ultra-high end of the hihat sound (less perky above 12k than normal, more perky around 6k). Hand drum samples. BREAKBEATS. Double kicks (808, 909 with a deep lowpass) with the b-line, with emphasis on the first beat of the bass pattern; dub bass lines often have weak little pickup notes right before the first beat of the bass pattern that make the groove lope along a bit; you can get the same effect with the above mentioned 808/909 kick.

Good luck.