20 favourite post punk (new wave) LPs

71 Replies, 51681 Views

djfada Wrote:sonic youth are the reason i bought my first guitar :d

Xyxthumbs

them (and glenn branca) were the first to properly introduce me to a totally different way of looking at the instrument
'go forth and thrash' Falcon
kontra Wrote:
djfada Wrote:sonic youth are the reason i bought my first guitar :d

Xyxthumbs

them (and glenn branca) were the first to properly introduce me to a totally different way of looking at the instrument

me too, along with the jesus and mary chain. Blue
yep, it became about the sound rather than the playing; thanks to them.. love the mary chain guys, too, wonder how the reunion tour is going.
Post your 20 favourite 3 man band electro pop anti-funk albums from January 21st 1982 to October 8th 1984 (mono-presses only)
fascist

:beret:
statto Wrote:dome - dome 1

is incredibly fine Yes
Killing Joke - 'What's THIS for...!'

Actually, 'Turn To Red' EP is probably more canonically post-punk, on account of the reggae influence

That's about as post punk as I get Grin

Does Simple Minds - 'Empires and Dance' count as post-punk, o Stattismo-tron? Lol Sure, I know they "did an ABC" but they were quite arty starting out..

And how about Talking Heads..? Grin
Keep JUMPin ya Bastids
naphta Wrote:killing joke - 'what's this for...!'

actually, 'turn to red' ep is probably more canonically post-punk, on account of the reggae influence

that's about as post punk as i get Grin

turn to red is very fine Yes

i used to have the original red vinyl 10", but i sold it Oops

naphta Wrote:does simple minds - 'empires and dance' count as post-punk, o stattismo-tron? Lol sure, i know they "did an abc" but they were quite arty starting out..

and how about talking heads..? Grin

probably yes to both

although...

simple minds Yawn
Statto Wrote:Simple Minds Yawn

I figured a mention of them here might annoy you Lol
Keep JUMPin ya Bastids
haven't heard most of those. but of my limited new wave knowledge, i like wall of voodoo - call of the west (mostly for the first few tracks on the album)
a few blondie albums came from the era too Lovesmilie

are they considered new wave?
TVGHates Wrote:a few blondie albums came from the era too Lovesmilie

are they considered new wave?

new wave maybe
but not post punk Icon_razz
Naphta Wrote:
Statto Wrote:Simple Minds Yawn

I figured a mention of them here might annoy you Lol

do I look annoyed? :P
Matt 'Woebot' Ingram presents FACT magazine – 20 best: Post-Punk
http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/index.php?...Itemid=103

some good ones there
interesting list Xyxthumbs

though there's some dross in there imo Wink
Sure, as always with these lists. But DNA, Native Hipsters, Delta 5, Y Pants, Throbbing Gristle ... all good.
Good to see Durutti Column in that list... Noone ever mentions them. They reminded me a bit of Dif Juz. Who noone ever mentioned ever, but they're like an instrumental Cocteau Twins when they had a more serious sound and weren't airy fairy Enya wannabes.

If you like Dome, Duet Emmo were also similar (considering it was a short lived collab between members of Dome/Wire and The Normal, this is to be expected). + 23 Skidoo \m/ . My favourite on Statts list tbh, or at least the one I've listened to most.

Probably offtopic, but I did manage to get hold of some copies of Wooden Baby stuff this week. Merv Pepler's first band (?) before the Ozrics/Eat Static and does sound very post punk/industrial. No guitar wanking. Actual vocals, unexpected changes in style and tempo, and interesting use of effects.
pacific Wrote:Good to see Durutti Column in that list... Noone ever mentions them. They reminded me a bit of Dif Juz. Who noone ever mentioned ever, but they're like an instrumental Cocteau Twins when they had a more serious sound and weren't airy fairy Enya wannabes.

I preferred DC before Vini started singing Wink

pacific Wrote:If you like Dome, Duet Emmo were also similar (considering it was a short lived collab between members of Dome/Wire and The Normal, this is to be expected). + 23 Skidoo \m/ . My favourite on Statts list tbh, or at least the one I've listened to most.

all the Gilbert & Lewis stuff from back then is worth listening to Xyxthumbs
from the first LP in my list:

Twothumbs
Statto Wrote:wire - 154

Falcon
(8th May 2009, 08:47)Statto Wrote:
pacific Wrote:Good to see Durutti Column in that list... Noone ever mentions them. They reminded me a bit of Dif Juz. Who noone ever mentioned ever, but they're like an instrumental Cocteau Twins when they had a more serious sound and weren't airy fairy Enya wannabes.

I preferred DC before Vini started singing Wink

though I am currently listening to him singing at this very moment

Fauxpas
great resource on post punk:
http://fytini.com/filtig/ppodd_cake/index/

Twothumbs
https://popgroup.bandcamp.com/album/y-in-dub
(21st November 2021, 07:28)+ToRMeNT+ Wrote: https://popgroup.bandcamp.com/album/y-in-dub

I have that Xyxthumbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil Robots Attacking Me?... punk, metal, hardcore +ToRMeNT+ 1,923 1,312,198 29th February 2024, 09:06
Last Post: +ToRMeNT+
  playing all my vinyl LPs in alphabetical order Statto 123 38,590 5th August 2023, 04:24
Last Post: +ToRMeNT+
  [Theory & Premise] "Progressive House" is Entirely Post-Punk +ToRMeNT+ 71 49,507 8th March 2023, 22:27
Last Post: thirdform
  31 Days of Post Punk Statto 34 6,092 31st May 2022, 07:21
Last Post: Statto
  post punk documentary Statto 0 939 11th February 2022, 15:02
Last Post: Statto