[Theory & Premise] "Progressive House" is Entirely Post-Punk

71 Replies, 51395 Views

(13th May 2017, 13:24)Muttley Wrote: .. the progressive of today is a fashionista fad, a hipster dogma, a trying to fit the product into the mainstream while saying "fuck you" at the same time.

Post punk, and rock music before, for that matter, never had to do any of that.

Interesting theory though, and rock music begets punk like house music begets rave nowadays, so everything becomes all in, equilaterally valid, touche.

^^ i get your point as well, about trying to fit the product into the mainstream but posturing the intent to appear subversive if you will. In the same way as where the wiki entry states "..  The buzz word emerged from the rave scene around 1990 to 1992, describing a new sound of house that broke away from its American roots.[6]Progressive house was viewed by some as anti-rave as its popularity rose in English clubs while breakbeat hardcore flourished at raves.[9]"

In response to that wiki quote ^^, I think as as far as alternative (..another product catch phrase..heh) dance clubs are concerned, particularly in NA, late 80's into the early 90's, where you were hearing post-punk remixes, then new beat, industrial & ebm over the years, and finally eventually acid house tunes & early techno of a very specific bpm  (definitely NOT hardcore techno or breakbeat..) that you could mix with ebm & such , i think the effect really was of an evolving post-punk audience, older kids still clubbing in the late 80's who grew up on actual 80's post-punk, commercial 80's dance musics and the like. Eventually it would make sense to eventually hear Underworld, or more specific progressive house  tunes thrown in the mix as the 90's emerged.  In the UK, seemingly there was an "indie club" circuit, playing indie dance musics, crossing over into house, etc. In NA, I don't think we really had that. It was either.. post-punk , industrial ebm new beat nites, that may have played the odd.. Stone Roses or Primal Scream tune, and such. It was more dark music vibes from my local scenes as I recall.  I think out of that, THEN there was local actual house music nites starting to emerge. Certainly in cities & areas where there wasn't a large African American / Canadian community, most definitely. One of the earliest hiphop party & club dj's in my area was also THEE first deep house dj locally, where he'd have his deep house club nite during the week, but would also organize and play diy community hall hiphop dance nites, where he WOULDN'T play straight up house - * HIP house * maybe, but not full on vocal house or what have you. He kept his audiences separate for some reason. Interesting thinking back to that.

From my local scene, the early hardcore rave dj promoter was also an avid deep house head, and would put out both gabber hard acid, then a bit later, trance, and deep / progressive house tapes. So the direction locally was coming from the same person, just different extremes of the beats. You'd hear the same mixed bag on the earliest local dance music radio shows too - they'd play Reinforced tunes next to early Aphex Twin, Plus 8 stuff, deep house, gabber and ambient tunes.  And one of the earliest dj records shops in my area as I've mentioned elsewhere, was a metal & punk record shop from the 80's that into the early 90's, stocked hiphop, reggae/dancehall, industrial ebm 12"s, then house & early techno releases..all in the same shop. You'd see early hiphop & dancehall reggae dj's buying records next to people buying Anthrax, thrash metal or hardcore punk gig tickets. That was the shop I bought some of my first dance music 12"s from.  Smile    So perhaps my perspective on a post-punk diaspora is a bit skewed in my premise here, heh. 

Indulgent, yes. very much so.   Wink   It really is all about the bass tho...

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Theory & Premise] "Progressive House" is Entirely Post-Punk - by +ToRMeNT+ - 13th May 2017, 15:48

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil Robots Attacking Me?... punk, metal, hardcore +ToRMeNT+ 1,924 1,342,386 7th April 2024, 05:09
Last Post: +ToRMeNT+
  20 favourite post punk (new wave) LPs Statto 71 53,466 10th January 2024, 14:06
  Progressive Rock Appreciation Thread Unsane 75 26,420 10th November 2022, 05:24
  31 Days of Post Punk Statto 34 6,799 31st May 2022, 07:21
Last Post: Statto
  post punk documentary Statto 0 1,000 11th February 2022, 15:02
Last Post: Statto