Making field recordings (on a budget! £150 ish)

2 Replies, 3179 Views

I've made some field recordings using a minidisc with a crappy mic, and also using a microcassette recorder. I'm at a point now though where I want to get something a little bit better.

I was thinking of the Zoom H2n or the Roland R05 but I'm not sure which is better? They are both 'budget' devices. I was thinking of getting the Zoom H2n but I read a review saying that it was really bad at recording loud sounds like when it's really windy etc.... but there is an option to get windshield with it which I was thinking about. I've heard some good reviews about the Roland R05 however, the Roland device doesn't have as many microphones as the Zoom device - but I'm not too bothered by it - I just want to be able to make good quality stereo recordings. I'm aiming to take it to random places (empty buildings, churches, indoor shopping centres, etc.) and just hit record.

I'm stuck between the two, but I'm also wondering if there is anything better for a similar price??

Any advice?
Smile
i have a zoom h1 and it has been fine for picking up little bits of sound i hear here and there that grab me (provided they arent too bassy).. take that shit home and throw it in the mix with whatever track im messing with. sound quality aint so great on that mug but i kinda like that Wink
"I warmly recommend the Gestapo to everyone"
Cheers for that. I'm thinking now about whether to keep using my minidisc recorder and buy a decent mic for it? However I am tempted by the Roland R05 as well.... will just wait and see how much money I can get together for it and take it from there I think.
Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New headphones budget 30 quid (dj/making music)? brandz 9 9,089 4th July 2011, 17:52
Last Post: brandz
  Best Budget Workstations under £1500 - Advice / Reviews please sub-zero 2 2,096 30th April 2011, 05:22
Last Post: 0=0
  BEST BUDGET SOUND CARD? nolige 2 2,103 14th May 2009, 11:42
Last Post: cube
  Small active monitors under £150?????? CYGNUS 26 10 3,304 31st May 2006, 16:34
Last Post: CYGNUS 26
  Mics for field recordings littleNemo 7 3,090 3rd February 2006, 11:36
Last Post: subvert