how many hardcore, jungle, and drum and bass tracks are there?

6 Replies, 1161 Views

rolldabeats lists over 160G. While not exclusively HJDB*, I'm guessing that the number of non-HJDB tracks is less than the number of tracks not posted to the site. Thoughts?

*hardcore, jungle, and d&b
there are a lot – and most of them are crap Icon_razz
care to guess how many beans are in the jar? Smile
Lol I had this a few years back. I was trying to figure out how many GOOD jungle tunes there were. Taking 93-96 as the semi-arbitrary markers and calculating by looking at RDB lists for the period. I figured that there's probably not more than 5000.
yeah i think i remember that thread. and i said something about trying to get an objective number out of it... Smile
Jason oS Wrote:yeah i think i remember that thread. and i said something about trying to get an objective number out of it... Smile

Yeah, you're down to genre definitions then. When do you start? 88/89/90? Is it just UK stuff or anything from the european 'rave' scene? Is there an endpoint?

The numbers would vary wildly depending on your criteria, and you'll end up with a parabola graph regardless with jungle being the narrow bit in the middle.

Might be a good idea to start with just one year? Say 95?

Have you thought about tabulating BPM's? I did a bit about 10 years ago, some interesting spikes in late 92 and 93 as artists veered into happy hardcore tempos on (for example) one track on a 4 tracker...
'Good' is also highly dependent on context

Was it played, does it register in collective consciousness?
An average tune may be average, but if it was often played its significance increases

Or is it highly musically creative but unplayed?

http://www.hardscore.com/articles/lazerdrome/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bandcamp: Drum 'N' Bass & other music recommendations Spectraz 177 150,541 10th February 2024, 00:31
Last Post: Statto
  Hip Hop + Drum & Bass done well Catastrophe 58 41,342 9th September 2023, 02:02
Last Post: +ToRMeNT+
  TIM REAPER jungle & hardcore set in The Lab LDN Spectraz 5 2,011 10th January 2023, 16:56
  Jungle vs Drum & Bass Icewind 159 89,686 14th April 2022, 00:04
  Drum and bass on Mastermind Statto 1 1,537 10th March 2022, 16:09
Last Post: girth_maul