Iain M. Banks dies

10 Replies, 2756 Views

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jun...banks-dies

only 59

Lighter
Shit that was quick Icon_sad

RIP

I read loads of his, then kind of went off him a bit. Must reread some culture stuff.

Lighter

sad.
RIP. His Sci-fi was only getting better and better. The last three were fantastic.
I started 'The Crow Road' years ago but never finished it.
Not cos it wasn't good, but because I'm crap.

Maybe I can pay tribute to the man by actually finishing something he wrote.
droid Wrote:His Sci-fi was only getting better and better. The last three were fantastic.

Dunno about that. Certainly they were a return to form. Matter was his best book in years. And Surface Detail had a lot of great ideas. But he still didn't really know how to finish a story. For me the first two, Consider Phlebas and The Player of Games, were the best.
Yeah, I dont really rate the earlier stuff so much. 'Consider' is a bit dull and pompous, 'player' a bit to baroque. For me he started to get really good with 'Excession' and only better since.
Well, obviously I'm right and you're wrong

Xerx4
I agree completely. Grin
Neutral

I just started reading his stuff...

at least i can catch up now

Fauxpas
Statto Wrote:Well, obviously I'm right and you're wrong

Xerx4

When smilies dictate what you type !!!
Iain Banks final interview published today:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jun...CMP=twt_fd

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEWS RIP Vangelis dies aged 79 firefinga 3 1,396 21st May 2022, 21:38
Last Post: DJ ML
  NEWS Florian Schneider Co-Founder and longtime Member of Kraftwerk dies aged 73 firefinga 5 4,334 30th May 2020, 06:27
Last Post: Statto
  SCI / TECH Stephen Hawking, cosmology's brightest star, dies aged 76 Statto 6 5,677 18th March 2018, 16:16
Last Post: Muttley
  RIP Alan Vega - "Suicide" Frontman dies aged 78 firefinga 2 4,038 2nd August 2016, 22:00
Last Post: +ToRMeNT+
  Motorhead drummer Phil Taylor dies Düffah 3 3,837 15th November 2015, 09:43
Last Post: firefinga