Drum Loop Editing?

25 Replies, 5774 Views

What d'you use? I just use Cubase SX at the moment but can't get my head round the loop editor at all. I'm getting Recycle soon but it all looks a bit confusing....
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
either do it manually in soudforge / wavelab etc or use a program like recycle or wavesurgeon.

they are well easy to use, but just make sure you manually check and if necessary alter the cut points that it automatically detects so as to avoid computer error

Xyxthumbs
I cut&edit breaks / drums on Wavelab. It's an ok editor. Then I feed shit to my sampler as midi dump or on floppies. But this applies to drums only.

I'm looking forward to working with SCSI real soon...
recycle is totally the way......

but as scope says, make sure you fine tune the slice points, cos while recycle is good, it isn't perfect. basically i always go through the sample and make sure each hit has its own slice, then go through it on maximum zoom to make sure it is spot on.

recycle has an annoying habit of putting the slice markers a few milliseconds too late, so you find yourself moving them all left just a little bit to compensate. unfortunately you can't f~cking garb them all at once Icon_evil

but recycle is, as i say, the way....... Yes works about a million times quicker than doing it the soundforge/wavelab way...... even with the fine-tuning of slices.
macc Wrote:but recycle is, as i say, the way....... Yes works about a million times quicker than doing it the soundforge/wavelab way...... even with the fine-tuning of slices.

not always Smile

i can do it just as quick either way.
but theres a certain mode of cutting breaks that recycle simply wont do also....and that is having each hit play from the start of the hit to the end of the break, rather than ending at the end of that hit...

Xyxthumbs
nice one people...
scope Wrote:
macc Wrote:but recycle is, as i say, the way....... Yes works about a million times quicker than doing it the soundforge/wavelab way...... even with the fine-tuning of slices.

not always Smile

but theres a certain mode of cutting breaks that recycle simply wont do also....and that is having each hit play from the start of the hit to the end of the break, rather than ending at the end of that hit...

Xyxthumbs

fair do's. i used to do it the soundforge etc way before recycle came into my life Lovesmilie , but it is swings and roundabouts i suppose etc.......

and btw, i just can't imagine a situation where i would use the method you mention (start of slice.end of loop) Baffled Baffled Baffled

ah well, to each their own, horses for courses...... and any other cliches you think appropriate...... :d
the rain in spain falls mainly on the plain Hahaha
Hahaha

Indeed,

Many a mickle makes a muckle Baffled

Hahaha
Mustan kissan paksut posket.
Fanu Wrote:Mustan kissan paksut posket.

thats just what I was thinking !
scope Wrote:

Hahaha It's a Finnish tongue-twister, meaning "the fat cheeks of a black cat" Hahaha
Cheers Fanu Hahaha
Fanu Wrote:
scope Wrote:

Hahaha It's a Finnish tongue-twister, meaning "the fat cheeks of a black cat" Hahaha

its miles easier than 'red lorry yellow lorry' !!!
scope Wrote:
Fanu Wrote:
scope Wrote:

or peter piper picked a peck of pickled pepper Hahaha
scope Wrote:
Fanu Wrote:
scope Wrote:

Ahem.....*pulls out the big guns*

What do you think about "VESIHIISI SIHISI HISSISSÄ"??? Another Finnish one Wink
a masturbating elephant in time, saves nine.
Darth Fader Wrote:a masturbating elephant in time, saves nine.

Or a :bear: !!!
Starwars
I like drums Baffled
'There's no such thing as selling out just buying in'

Chuck D
scope Wrote:

not always Smile

Xyxthumbs

but wouldn't the loop after the start point be out of time?
Recycle's wicked for cutting a drumloop to smithereens!
& then reconstructing it again Logic & siince your slices are so small you can put the drum at any tempo in logic & it fits.
Marvelous stuff.

Chuck D
I've been using Recycle for quite some time now. I really like it.
But....

How about Phatmatik Pro 1.1

I took a look at the features and it seems very nice. I also read an interview with Klute who said he really likes this program. I presumably goes beyond Recycle 2.0 in every way.
One thing very nice about this software is that it's VSTi and standalone. You can chop up of course, but also rearrange slices inside Phatmatik without having to export the slices to a sequencer or editor.

Anyone who has some comments on this software?
[Image: breaxploitation.gif]
Nomical Wrote:I've been using Recycle for quite some time now. I really like it.
But....

How about Phatmatik Pro 1.1

I took a look at the features and it seems very nice. I also read an interview with Klute who said he really likes this program. I presumably goes beyond Recycle 2.0 in every way.
One thing very nice about this software is that it's VSTi and standalone. You can chop up of course, but also rearrange slices inside Phatmatik without having to export the slices to a sequencer or editor.

Anyone who has some comments on this software?

i tried it and i thought it really sucked, the slicing is just done in a really irritating way, if i remember correctly it doesnt even let you add your own slice points!

i would suggest kontakt or intakt cos i'm sure they can do everything phatmatik can, and probably a whole lot better

maybe i'm wrong but if your think of buying i would suggest at least giving it a test first if you can.
Yeah the Phatmatik doesn't look like it matches up to recycle or intakt for that matter.

But it's horses for courses.

Chuck D

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Editing midi note velocity in Kontakt 4 Code 10 10,499 6th February 2012, 06:51
Last Post: Code
  How to Create a Good Jungle Loop hue 11 5,808 4th February 2012, 18:45
Last Post: denaris
  Sample Editing Confusion. Qualiver 35 7,014 25th September 2010, 12:54
Last Post: Qualiver
  cubase editing help SHIFT 10 3,270 18th September 2009, 11:01
Last Post: SHIFT
  Free loop packages (ACID/WAV/REX2) equinoxsounds 0 1,351 3rd December 2008, 09:44
Last Post: equinoxsounds