Menace II Sobriety

23 Replies, 6751 Views

Made a conscious decision to start behaving myself a few weeks back; better diet, much less alcohol, more sleep, even joined the gym. Felt amazing (probably just felt like an average rested and sober person does every day though tbh Roll) Already back to trashing myself on a nightly basis - sometimes feel incapable of reining it in Icon_sad

Anyone else seemingly hell-bent on total self destruction, or is it just me...? Feels a bit out of control at the mo, but I know that as soon as I feel a bit better and less shattered, I'll be doing it again Roll Need to do some serious growing up

Ps Sorry to go deep/depressing before midday Hahaha
Constant battle here. It's not easy being a bosh-head... Grin

Had January off alcohol, and really enjoyed it (especially saving lots of money), so I am determined to drink as little as I can now. Rather save and go away somewhere than just get plastered for the sake of it. Computer games and cooking are helping to fill the evenings so that's alright. Exercise was a big thing until it got bitterly cold, which really makes it tough, but that is going to start again this week.

All about changing habits and patterns, and you get the rewards when you put the effort in. Money, fitness, feeling good.... not bad considering all you have to do is not get shitfaced.

That said, it's my birthday next week, so Hahaha
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
havent had a drink for a month crew over here

still bunning like a carrot though [Image: smoking-cannabis-032.gif]
My thoughts pretty exact Hovver. Only difference is behavioural relapse (old patterns, early identifiers), and not joining a gym again. Been there, done that, no more. I'm planning to walk our dogs greater while they're still with us though, and generally try and shake off the agoraphobia. Drunk way too much last night - bottle and a half of red wine. Not aggressive when I drink however; purely a tranquiliser. Natural stress relief with prescribed stress relief. And now I have to lie down again.
It's a tuffy. Most people can't do it (me being one). For me small daily achievable goals gets the ball rolling and stop me feeling like a total waste of space. I think the underlining thing is, there really has to be a strong reason for not being unhealthy; because trying to healthy can be an unenjoyable process and getting wasted feels good.
No smoking of cigarettes.
No smoking of blunts.
Very little alcohol in compensation (never been a drinker.. always been a full-on smoker)

Still a lazy cunt, but now with added vex!
dionysus Wrote:trying to healthy can be an unenjoyable process and getting wasted feels good.

In the short term that's all true. If it were true in the long term we wouldn't be having this thread Smile
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Hey Maff, all about crowding in and out... Think I talked to you about this a year ago.. Not really a good quitter myself, good tings or bad, But when you crowd in the things that you want, the things you dont want have no more room, or considerably less room. Also your not trying to accomplish somthing from a postion of past defeat or using so much energy trying not to do something, your just gonna crowd in more positivie things for you to do . For instance, Try going to the gym when you would be first about to drink, you allready are shifting pattern and then I bet you will feel so good after you might not care as much about having a drink.

And use macc ideas; start more video games and cooking. Wink

Really hope this helps, love ya! Hugs
But I don't think the human body has really been bombarded with such strong psychotropic drugs (such as fast food) as it has in (relatively) recent times. This is new terrain for the body and mind in it's 200, 000 year old history. Pure artificial short-term happiness; for numerous reasons tends to lead to depression. Interesting Even though the majority of people are depressed these days, and they know what is required for long term happiness, we continue to pick the short term artificial happiness. Just lazy buggers who watch TV; that Man City game was crap.
Annastay Wrote:Hey Maff, all about crowding in and out... Think I talked to you about this a year ago.. Not really a good quitter myself, good tings or bad, But when you crowd in the things that you want, the things you dont want have no more room, or considerably less room.

Some good advice here.

Keeping busy gives you less time to sit about getting drunk.

Been aware for a while that I'm precious about my downtime - always making sure I have this window to chill out with laptop/tv, but that's a massive enabler - that window is a big chunk of hours in which I can drink.

That said, yesterday with all it's valenshittedness was hard. 11 cans and a couple of vodkas. Ended up looking through old photos. Icon_sad
I'll be drinking tomorrow

Neutral

Smile
Pint

[Image: duffahthumbu.gif]
dionysus Wrote:Even though the majority of people are depressed these days, and they know what is required for long term happiness, we continue to pick the short term artificial happiness. Just lazy buggers who watch TV; that Man City game was crap.

People have lways been lazy.

In my experience that's the hardest thing about ALL of this; starting it when it is easier to just sit about. But when you do get up and sort shit out, you are glad you did.

Doof - be careful mate.
Macc Wrote:Doof - be careful mate.

Will do Chief. Was just a low point.
Macc Wrote:In my experience that's the hardest thing about ALL of this; starting it when it is easier to just sit about. But when you do get up and sort shit out, you are glad you did.

There's the epilogue. You can't necessarily ascertain what's worthwhile indirectly, at least not when you always pre-research new ways of living - like I do - like everyone discerning does. I used to be a diehard games console addict. I can't do that nowadays - its existence has evaporated, I feel like I'm wasting time, jumping horror hoops. To each their own as per.

Also, like you Bob, into keeping fit, albeit slightly differently. After five weekly years it'd run its course for me. Now if I do any exercise, I'll do it alone, or with my dearest friends. Further compounded by social World Of Warcraft characteristics - green eyed monster organisations, unfair, intersecting mob mentalities - bleeding into food chains widespread, staining the previous patchwork we tried to cleanse. Whether camoflagued, humility of lifestyle avenues is brushed aside for totalitarian principle (money, power, competition), and disbanding only when there's an upper hand in lifestyle (bent conscience, inner calm, bent capitalism).

Ethically as unhealthy as a permanent Atkins diet, worse than the original state at chance. It's cool to be Mr Chips initially, who just wants the catchphrase, and a reasonable one - for you, for your folks. Our mental puzzle needs to be carefully deconstructed, otherwise you're hitting your head against a brick wall, bricking someone's window, shitting bricks, facing a brick shithouse nobody asked for.

That's real growing up to me, and no-one will fully reach that plateau until we're deceased. Both extremes of consciousness are respectable as well. There'll always be clubs and collectives, illusory perspectives. These kind of changes are only worth your time when others have time for yours.

I still love escapism - it's why music is so prominent in many people's lives. But reality is a big enough game on its own without losing yourself in unreality. Contrariwise, if it's just good fun, or drowns your sorrows, sometimes that's all you need. It's why disposable media is so easy to resort to because it doesn't destroy mankind's fatal flaw: the hunger for possessiveness. I generally avoid that, and I'm not alone.

dionysus Wrote:Pure artificial short-term happiness; for numerous reasons tends to lead to depression. Interesting even though the majority of people are depressed these days, and they know what is required for long term happiness, we continue to pick the short term artificial happiness.

Absolutely. And it's ambiguity anchored too. Do I want a, or is b longer lasting? Why is b better than a? That situation. To me gut feeling is sometimes overridden because of other variables - perceived self, marginalised self, and sadly less actualisation of self. All have work rates, not all have tolerance. We hate ourselves for things, we get hated for being ourselves.

ShaoDow - Don't Stop (Remix): "The way I see it, you only get one life...and at the end of the day, you gotta make the most of it. Can't live for other people, got to follow your dreams, and fight through adversity even when people are telling you 'stop'. If that's what you wanna do, sometimes you can't. So don't stop. Unless of course you're a murderer, in which case, please, do stop."
wanna buy some crack?
I prefer placid seals, thanks.
Cheers for the input, not just me then! Grin

Seriously, been really overdoing it for years now though.... the morning i started this thread i'd stayed up til 4.45am getting wrecked, even though i knew i had to be in work for 6.30am Oops Crawled into bed then alarm went off 45 minutes later, absolutely horrific day. It's 'funny' when you're a kid i suppose, kind of shit you do - but in your mid-thirties (and most importantly when it's night after night and been going on for as long as you can seem to remember) - then it's clearly become a problem/dependency issue, whether or not it's a psychological one - i don't think it has turned into a physical one yet, but there's a fine line i guess.

Obviously after work i was good for nothing, just utterly exhausted and needing to sleep.... was supposed to be setting the studio back up and getting my now fixed akai sampler back etc, couldn't even think about it Roll Had a 20 minute nap, got up did some shit and felt my eyes going about 8.30pm again. Decided to have a shower and get in bed at 9.30 with a cup of tea and a copy of computer music magazine Hahaha Totally tame, and a complete contrast to the night before - felt amazing for it this morning Xyxthumbs

Need to just try hard to remember the benefits far outweigh the 'fuck it' attitude a bit more often i suppose.

Cheers for the info/thoughts Wave

@ Annastay Kisskiss Will try to put your advice into practice!
ps Liam, yeah go on i'll have a bag if it'll distract me from beer/wine/cider Wink
I'd say cut things out slowly rather than just cutting the whole lot. When humans cut things out, we crave them more. It's simple diet rules, cut out the foods you like you'll want them more. Everything in moderation. Cut down on drink to start with, make small changes in your diet etc then it doesn't seem so hard.

Since I lost a shedload of weight through worry and knocking drink almost on the head - not to mention reigning in the eating of 2 packets of biscuits every weekend then another couple in the week !! - I'm really conscience about putting it back on. Put on around 1/2 stone over Christmas. Few small changes and a small amount of exercise has got it back off again. Think I'm quite lucky how easy I find it to keep weight off though now I don't drink or eat copious amounts of biscuits.

My body and mind need routine for various health reasons so your fucked up daily stuff sounds horrific to me. Whatever works for you though. Must be a welsh thing Wink

But seriously, small changes reaps benefits. Slowly cut out the drink and shit in your diet. It'll soon become second nature.
I fucking detest regimented exercise though. Nothing bores me and wastes time more. Did about 15 mins of rowing early, before my rowing machine kicked the bucket (telling me something I think), but it was long and boring.

Walking is the best exercise. Music on, drift off and a plod around. Might not get you overly fit, but it's still burning calories.
I like to spend 30mins doing random exercises; whatever pops into my head.
[Image: tumblr_leuy9xJijR1qa0ideo1_500.jpg]
for me, i cant not get out and exercise somehow. i call it 'cage rage.' if i sit around too long i get antsy and need to get out and get away but i mostly find spots where there are no other people about, which usually leaves me hiking or exploring some random trail or something with my dog, bushwhacking basically. i think mutley said it best: escapism. i find my escape in nature away from people, which gets increasingly harder in this day and age.

good luck to all of you in your endeavours! wishing you all the best of health and wellness and balance. i personally dont see drinking as a bad thing, all about balance in life. i dont smoke so i dont have a long list of intake vices, just ze alchyhole. but i love beer! love it hehe. ive always balanced a good piss up with a good release of the chemicals, say going for a surf or hike or sport or sweating it out somehow, i think a lot of what im reading on here is an imbalace between intake and release.

balance, people, balance Icon_razz

and, yeah, walking is the best exercise!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Shocked RELEASE Dom-Soundwall VIP / Menace Dom Mix appreciation Muttley 3 1,707 14th January 2020, 02:56
Last Post: +ToRMeNT+
  Rice made with human genes: GM menace or saviour Ashes 4 2,577 10th June 2007, 12:50
Last Post: Ashes
  Goldorak presents 'La menace du Strattéguerre' Goldorak 9 2,542 11th December 2005, 15:15
Last Post: Goldorak
  sobriety SETI 11 2,208 26th September 2005, 06:56
Last Post: SETI
  Alpha Omega - Menace - Promo's now available Altered Ego 7 1,655 20th March 2004, 22:20
Last Post: fanu