Subvert Central

Full Version: Random thoughts thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
"But if you listen to the tape, what was going on might have been in the atmosphere rather than the notes" continues Robert
Fripp in a completely nonparallel world as part of King Crimson in The Wire #368 (October 2014), which I happen to be reading
this month. That quote is apt as if you see the journey of jungle thru to drum 'n' bass and then back to wider 'EDM' (forget
what the denial hipsters say, this term was being used in the late 80s in America, not for Tiesto and the like) there is a
continuous parallel to this dialogue now: the development of the spoken genres has converged like a mixtape that dispels
specificity into a more try-hard eclectic, dogmatic thought breed.
Former Vice President Gore wanted a live-stream of Blue Marble images partly to remind the public that we live on a planet. That is what the Blue Marble, widely considered to be the most-reproduced image in the history of the world, has done. Some scholars consider it the image that ignited modern environmental and humanitarian movements. ~ The Atlantic
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.” - Francis Chan
I like observing how people comment on something as x or y, but never z, for a specific reason, often unbeknownst to many.
'You’re not a better person for working out, or a worse person for not, no matter what magazines or gyms tell you.

By Naomi Alderman
Illustrations by Robin Davey'

https://medium.com/matter/i-really-love-...a64ca3ec78
'It's fair to come away from these metrics thinking that Twitter is worthless. But that's an unsophisticated conclusion. The more sophisticated takeaway is that Twitter is worthless for the limited purpose of driving traffic to your website, because Twitter is not a portal for outbound links, but rather a homepage for self-contained pictures and observations. (The irony is that the more journalists consider Twitter a portal, the better Twitter becomes as a home for other people to stay, including other journalists.)

Two weeks ago, John Herrman observed that as readers' digital attention scatters to Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook, publishers will acknowledge that their websites are anachronisms. It's hard to say that this is happening today. Most major websites are seeing growing traffic. But there are only so many hours one can look at a screen in a day. More of those hours are going to mobile devices. A growing share of those hours (and their corresponding dollars) are going to communications apps, like Twitter. And, by my calculations here, Twitter is sending less than 2 percent of its overall engagement back to the web'.

'from The Unbearable Lightness Of Tweeting'

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arch...ng/385484/
It is fairly obvious empirical research related to political science in the eurozone remains cascading ad infinitum. #foreuroskeptics
Complicit atrophy in music greatly relies on accepting an agenda as absolute.
Cuddling with your significant other literally destroys depression, mainly through dopamine and oxytocin increase. Crucially it feels great.
leg cramps while sleeping. how i hate thee.

Cuss
It is better to have a few people in your world that are real than a sea of empty faces.
Great piece on Osedax worms and falling whales in this primer: "Osedax – with their recent discovery, unusual habitat, and bizarre behaviour – are a reminder of how much of our home planet remains alien to us.

A world of surprises remains to be found."

http://www.primerstories.com/primers/primer0020.html
"By the end of the 19th century, liberalism conceptualises political economy almost wholly in terms of rational interrelationships". ~ The Theory Of International Political Economy, A Reader, 2nd Edition - p7
"I think we ought to read only books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us like a blow on the head, what are we reading for? So that it will make us happy, as you write? Good God, we would be just as happy if we had no books and the kind of books that make us happy are the kind we could write ourselves if we had to. But we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we love more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us. That is my belief."

Interesting. Certainly gives another perspective on attachment/endearment, but I can't quite buy it. It's probably a quote from Kafka, as it's from Droid on FaceBook.
#supermarkets Morrisons curry rmeals early verdict: good ing/fat ratio, chicken bhuna packed with decent flavour. Sells WeightWatchers ones.
"Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things." - Peter Drucker
One of my favourite quotes full stop on advertising, quoted in TDD Chapter 2's idiosyncracy system in track 2 ('Mime Dub'), cut into sections to impression similar cadence.

"You can see the problem of voicelessness in its starkest form of advertising.

Ads have been made by someone, but who is actually speaking?

Here the designer (most ads are designed, after all) becomes a ventriloquist's dummy for the client's voice.

As much as this voice tries to disguise itself by pretending to be cool, in reality it's the wheedling sound of a
salesperson desperately attempting to persuade you to buy something.

Early advertising created by commercial artists was more generous.

It still promoted the product, but offered intimacy and warmth as well as the satisfactions of the craft.

That's why museums can display art many decades later.

It possesses an aesthetic richness which transcends its commercial purpose.

Very little commercial advertising is going to survive this way". ~ Rick Poynor, Meat Magazine Issue 3, 2007 via TDD Chapter 2.
I want the role of middle management to be utterly expunged as a possible vocation in the human race. That is all
Applause
This was a great eye-opening read - 11 life-changing sandwiches you've (probably) never heard of: http://www.msn.com/…/11-life-chang...ss-BBie3E4
'I was shocked recently to hear one motivational speaker exhort his audience to devote twenty-four hours a day to the
pursuit of their financial goals. 'If your family doesn't understand', he went on, 'get a new family'. As his fourth wife
smiled and nodded at the back of the room, I thought to myself, What good is a successful career if it's at the cost of your
marriage and you hardly ever see your children?

The opportunities to live abundantly are all around us, but just acquiring the symbols of success will not make us any
happier. When you learn to focus on your values and your life's purpose instead of just your goals, you will automatically
begin to take the big picture of your life into account.' ~ P. Mckenna, Change Your Life In Seven Days, p130.

Yes
Well there's a surprise: the aforementioned 'British jihadist' turns out as 'Islam-ected' Australian. Read MSN news for the full report. Neutral
"Appropriating the advertising language of global beauty brands like L'Oreal and Revlon, 'Vernáculo' is an exercise in
capitalist surrealism," explained Perez Art Museum Miami, who commissioned the video. Imanian-Friedman describes the video
in much the same terms, adding that "it's a reaction to… a parody of the sexualisation across society." Al Qadiri stresses
that the video is a lot more than a parody though. "Advertising is not something to be underestimated," she tells me. "The
way beauty has been marketed for decades is something that is very endemic to women and is part of a struggle that many
women have in society as a result of the kind of women that are portrayed as well as the racism in the fashion industry.
There's a lot that is being questioned, played with and flipped over with the video." But is this kind of hyper-extreme
parodying an effective form of critique? "It's definitely a form of critique, but it's a playful one," says Al Qadiri.
"You can make it as serious as you want; you can make it as playful as you want. That's the beauty of music, and also the
fact that Maluca's lyrics on that song are in Dominican Spanish, so they're more alien to some people than, let's say, a
song being sung in English."

http://thequietus.com/articles/17353-fut...-interview
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30