laptop dead! pc laptop inquires.

7 Replies, 3197 Views

My mac book died last week in a tragic incident where it kinda got water damage.. Pretty gutted. Icon_sad Gonna have to wait to use logic again.. sigh...
Anyways, Im gonna have to get a pc lap top for the time being since I havent the means atm to replace it.

I am wondering if you guys have advice for which laptops are good, I mean I really am looking to only spend a few hundred and maybe get a refurbished one. I really dont know too much about brand names ect as I have been using a mac for the last 10 years. Not even sure I ever owned a pc tbh..

thanks in advance. Smile
i'd use that money to get the Mac fixed.
Or did you mean by 'water damage' that you dropped it in the bath?
http://www.soundcloud.com/shift/ - SCD soundclash tune is up Drums
SHIFT Wrote:i'd use that money to get the Mac fixed.
Or did you mean by 'water damage' that you dropped it in the bath?

very funny ! Mad Lol

not exactly... but the repairs are 800 dollars.
I'd suggest asking round friends' in real life near to you for any possible laptop repair agencies, or looking up some in your phone book. When my earlier Toshiba laptop model's screen went up the creek, I got recommended a local guy who fixed it for free. That's on the basis of if you're sending it to Apple directly to deal with it, as that'll always be more expensive.

Otherwise, perhaps consider http://www.dabs.com for a Toshiba make. Dabs is a very cheap online seller that ships very fast in the UK. The sole problems I've had with Toshiba over the previous five years of owning laptops is the aforementioned screen malfunction, and recently, a cooling system error, but that was just because the fan wore out.

Xyxthumbs
you can buy a used macbook pro for a few hundred.
Despite being low-key, I've had only good results from my Acer lappy. HP, Dell, any of the big name brands are worth checking out. Not Packard Bell though, the PC World brand, their components are shite on a stick.

This might be a bit Captain Obvious, but so long as the CPU and memory are enough for your needs, thats all that matters. External storage can be plugged in directly or over a network.

Can't point you at a specific laptop as I don't spend heaps of time poring over stuff I'm not in the market for but I hope this helps.
Dont think I could ever go back to PC. They're great for specific things, but for general use Id go mac everytime.
droid Wrote:Dont think I could ever go back to PC. They're great for specific things, but for general use Id go mac everytime.

Hehe I'm the opposite. I despise Macs with a vengeance and its not based on a stance vs Apple, just experience with them in the work environment down the years.

But each to their own. Lots of satisfied people are happy with their Macs. Diff'rent strokes.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tim Reaper's Laptop Repair Fund firefinga 2 1,615 13th February 2015, 09:17
Last Post: widzhit
  [sortofurgent] Laptop recommendations s'il vous plait Macc 17 3,944 4th February 2011, 15:54
Last Post: markgabba
  Laptop battery question! nolige 3 1,604 23rd October 2010, 20:32
Last Post: denaris
  my poor music laptop... TVG 7 2,280 4th January 2010, 22:35
Last Post: TVG
  laptop music production rise 29 6,355 5th December 2008, 02:16
Last Post: DOUBLE O